Are there any Insurrection fans here?

Sora

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 11:56 am

I'm a huge fan of Insurrection. It's my favorite of the Trek films.

I see it get alot of hate on the boards. I was wondering if anyone else liked it? Or is it just not well liked?

I'll go ahead and say I also enjoy Nemesis and The Motion Picture and the Final Frontier.

I guess I'm just the underdog for Star Trek lol Because I'm also usually defending Voyager and Enterprise as well. I guess my favorites are usually everyone else's least favorites.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 12:01 pm

What does my signature tell you?

I enjoy Insurrection. I thought it had done great visuals and lines. I do, however, feel it could have been better executed, especially in developing the plot.

There is a thread that can't be too old, "Insurrection: the good the bad and the ugly" where a lot of us exhausted our love and hate.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 12:12 pm

I think Insurrection is better than what 80% of what Hollywood typically puts out.

That said, I think it is unfortunately the weakest of the Star Trek films.

So...HATE it? No...absolutely not. Hate it as a Star Trek movie?...Yes, very much so.

I think it has some positive points:

Love the idea of a galactic "fountain of youth"

Very nice direction and cinemetography. It is a great looking movie.

Love the location shooting. It gave the film a broad, epic scope that was lacking in the other TNG films.

Fine performances from Stewart, Abraham, and Zerbe.

Some of the character-driven humor was very effective

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 12:25 pm

I'm a fan of the visuals and the humor. Does that count?

Can't claim I like the Data Emergency Flotation Device though.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 12:33 pm

I think blow up Data dolls would have been a great marketing idea. Get on that, 2takes.

Sora

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 10:35 pm

But anybody can watch Trek '09 and enjoy it.

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 12:24 am

It is the only feature movie I have on my ipod. I know it has several foibles but I quite enjoy watching it.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Sora

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 9:15 am

haha I have every film, every season, every episode ever on my ipod lol Granted I have 2 ipods though. One for Star Trek and one for everything else. Because my Star Trek ipod only has 3 or 4 GB remaining and it's a 160GB ipod!

Live Long and Prosper

2takesfrakes

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 10:33 am

I LOVE me some STAR TREK: Insurrection! I say, "bring it ..."

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 11:02 am

Mitchz95

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 11:30 am

A good movie, but it seemed more like a TNG episode than a feature film. Probably my least favorite of the TNG movies, but it still tops Final Frontier and Search for Spock in my opinion.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 11:52 am

Quote: Sora @ Dec. 20 2011, 10:35 pm

>Yeah, I do love the plot but I agree one thing that Insurrection lacked as well as First Contact, is that there's really no mention of what's happening in the Trek world in that time period within the series.

>I do believe that there is a mention of the Dominon from Riker, but no major detail.

>I would've liked more information of what was happening in Starfleet at that time from the point of view of the TNG crew. And even a mention of Voyager would've been nice, but I will also say a mention of Voyager would've been unneccessary and crowbarred in. I just would've liked it just the same.

>I think the issue was that the writers felt that they needed to make the films available to all, and not just fans. So they tended to keep the films exclusive to themselves. I think that's why Worf was brought back 3 times and given very little to no information about it. Because people who don't watch the show wouldn't get it.

>My problem with that is, is that I doubt all that many people went to see the Star Trek films who were not already fans and weren't keeping up with the series.

>Because even with that small flaw, the films were still made for the fans. That's why Trek '09 did so well, it was made for people who were not fans. So it reached out to a broader audience.

>I can't imagine anybody who isn't a fan of watching Star Trek sit down and watching ANY of the original 10 films who wasn't or isn't already a big fan of Trek.

>But anybody can watch Trek '09 and enjoy it.

>I'm just saying that since in the end the original 10 films were made specially for the fans, they might as well have just given us those extra goodies. It would've made all the films stronger in my opinion.

I for one am eternally greatful that the feature films, for the most part, avoided the geeky fanwank of trying to "tie in" the bigger picture of the Star Trek macroverse.

Most people could care less about that stuff, and it would mean nothing in the context of a 2 hour movie. Since these movies are designed to appeal to a more broad audience than the overly-obsessive fan, I think they were wise to stick to fundamental storytelling rather than telling the macro-stories most of the hardcore fanbase seems to crave.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

2takesfrakes

Report this Dec. 22 2011, 8:07 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 21 2011, 11:02 am

>2takes, I think you just like the idea of the Sona female slaves and a planet where boobs become firmer.

All true, BUT ... you mustn't forget the most important reason of all:

enrico.billi

Report this Dec. 22 2011, 9:55 pm

I think Insurrection is not bad, i liked more Insurrection than Nemesis.

Pooneil

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 9:09 am

My only real complaint about Insurrection is the abundant Treknobabble. They talked a lot about metaphasic particles or rays or whatever. They also shot themselves in the foot by overcomplicating the story of the Baku and the Sona: it would've worked better if the Baku just happened to be the people living on the planet, rather than a small village of advanced aliens who were related to this other bunch of aliens with whom they were having a feud. Too much detail! There's a good story in there somewhere.

I liked the locations, the energy, and the return of the ethical dilemma. It actually felt more like Star Trek than some of the films. Sort of like "The Final Frontier"...

Users browsing this forum: heronymous