Would Star Trek fans make good Star Trek Actors?

Created by: guillermo.mejía

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 19 2011, 8:54 am

Recently there was a thread asking if Trek fans would make good Starfleet officers. Keeping in line with tradition, I now as if Trek fans could protray their favorite character archetypes, be it the heroic leader, comic alien relief, trusted science officer or whatnot.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Dec. 19 2011, 2:15 pm

Talent is the key.  I can't act and have no desire to.

Now keeper of the Star Trek fact book...  I could do that!

Treknoir

Report this Dec. 19 2011, 3:01 pm

Not only no, but hell no. Most of the fan films are pure, grade A garbage. So I'd have to say that the vast majority of fans would NOT be good actors.

Beershark

Report this Dec. 19 2011, 5:54 pm

Being a fan has nothing to do with talent or ability. Contrary wise, the reverse is also true. Very few of the actors and actresses involved in later series were fans of previous series. In fact many had little if any knowledge of ST at all.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Vulcan1981

Report this Dec. 19 2011, 11:13 pm

It all depends on the talent. However, if you find someone who is talented AND has the passion for the franchise, you'll usually get some great stuff. However, in some cases, it may not hold true where a fan may become disillusioned. In short, talent overrides whether or not they're a fan, but an actor will lose my respect if they condescend the franchise and it's fans.

"Comforting words. Use them next time instead of "resistance is futile". You may elicit a few volunteers."- Seven of Nine

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 9:10 am

I always found it curious that those star trek actors who were most succesful had a complete ignorance of the franchise, or appeared to be more less knowledgable than they let on. The TNG crew is the best example of course, but I also look at Chris Pine for example and don't see him as a Trekkie at all (basing myself on his interview on The Captains). Scott Bakula on the other hand was a trekkie before the show, and maybe that messed him up subcounciously?

I have seen decent Trek Falm films but the are rare, at the least.

the bungalo bill

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 1:39 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Dec. 19 2011, 2:15 pm

>Talent is the key.  I can't act and have no desire to.

Agreed.

FascinatingIndeed

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 4:00 pm

Nope.

mnpsatan13_10000041783898

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 5:39 pm

Hell no!

Reedworftripparis

Report this Dec. 20 2011, 6:11 pm

Depends if they can act or not, that is the key.

Remember when there were actors that liked the franchise and wanted to be in episodes? Wasn't Josh Tesh a Klingon, and I don't remember him saying anything. We could all do that, be a Klingon or Borg or whatever alien and not say a word....but if you want to have an actual part, you need to possess some talent.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 12:54 am

Some do, some don't. Quite a few good Star Trek actors were already fans when they started. (Whoopi Goldberg & Armin Shimmerman for example...) So it would be wrong to answer "No". However, not everyone has acting talent, so it would be equally wrong to give an unequivocal "Yes."

I would say acting talent, not fandom, is the key factor in this case. I will say, however, that actors who are also fans of Star Trek tend to enjoy playing those roles, and many times, it does show when they are having fun.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 6:34 am

I've tried doing some monologues and things of the sort to see how I'd do. Admitedly I need work.

I seem to...have this...problem where....I....slip-into-Shatener...........tempo.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 8:22 am

Pooneil

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 8:53 am

Whoopi Goldberg, Armin Shimerman, Simon Pegg, Alexander Siddig, James Cromwell, etc. They were all Star Trek fans before appearing on the show. Siddig even wanted to be on TNG as Troi's long-lost brother.

Tom Hanks is apparently a big Trekkie. He'd probably make a decent starship captain, too. I'm sure there are plenty more.

However, the average "fan on the street" is probably too overweight to fit into a Starfleet uniform. At least, that's been my observation at conventions. I simply can't act to save my life, even though I'm sure I'd look handsome in a blue uniform.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 21 2011, 8:54 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 21 2011, 8:22 am

>No. Not because of over detail but because of the lack of talent and professionalism. I'll illustrate- James Cawley
I was wondering how long it would take till Cawley was mentioned.

In his defense, he has shown improvement over the last decade. His Kirk is a perpetually somber upset man though. And the quality of his fan films makes up for the bad acting, unlike other fan films where you have nothing to distract you from the lack of acting chops.