Too many hybrids/half breeds in Trek!

the bungalo bill

Report this Dec. 09 2011, 7:10 pm

I noticed that there are a lot of hybrids in Trek.

To name a few...

K'Ehleyr

Spock

Saavik

Troi

B'Elanna Torres

Ziyal

Alexander R. (1/4 human)

I think the amount of hybrids is unrealistic. Do you agree?

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 1:09 am

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Dec. 09 2011, 7:10 pm

>I think the amount of hybrids is unrealistic. Do you agree?

As Servalanfan suggests above, it's no more difficult to "believe" than many other Star Trek story conceits.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 1:59 am

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Dec. 09 2011, 7:10 pm

>I noticed that there are a lot of hybrids in Trek.

>To name a few...

>K'Ehleyr

>Spock

>Saavik

>Troi

>B'Elanna Torres

>Ziyal

>Alexander R. (1/4 human)

>I think the amount of hybrids is unrealistic. Do you agree?

I do9nt agree, if humans and aliens are as compatible as Trek suggest, then I think we never saw enough hybrids.

Photobucket

Broadstorm

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 4:41 am

You left off Simon Tarses from The Drumhead, 3/4 Human & 1/4 Romulan.  I would think Saavik would be the most likely given that Romulans split off from Vulcans.

Vger23

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 8:21 am

Pooneil

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 10:07 am

Quote: the bungalo bill @ Dec. 09 2011, 7:10 pm

>I noticed that there are a lot of hybrids in Trek.

>To name a few...

>K'Ehleyr

>Spock

>Saavik

>Troi

>B'Elanna Torres

>Ziyal

>Alexander R. (1/4 human)

>I think the amount of hybrids is unrealistic. Do you agree?

Arguing that anything in Star Trek is unrealistic is like diving into a bottomless pit. Any one of us could list a hundred things that aren't realistic, starting with ServalanFan's human-like aliens with Sixties hairdos. Sure, two alien species reproducing might be scientifically implausible, but so is most of what happens on the show.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 10:52 am

Personally, I'd liked to have seen more.

megan512

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 2:01 pm

You know, I always thought there weren't enough. If it was really that easy, you'd think we'd see more hybrids in the Trek universe.

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 3:22 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Dec. 10 2011, 8:21 am

>Saavik's Romulan heritage is not canon. It was a line cut from the script, and it was never mentioned on-screen.

Yeah I was wondering how Saavik was on that list -- figured it was just something from the movies I didn't know or a throwaway line that I had missed.

Also Ba'el from the Birthright episodes (Klingon/Romulan) and Naomi Wildman from Voyager (Human/whatever) Dukat had at least one other half-Bajoran kid, and Seska's baby was Cardassian/Kazon. I'm sure the list could go on for ages if you wanted it to, so I shall stop.

However, assuming that there aren't as many problems with mixed-species, I agree that given the extent of contact between worlds, there probably should have been more kids. In fact, I think even more that there should have been less racial dilineation among humans.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

starlisa

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 3:49 pm

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 3:56 pm

Quote: starlisa @ Dec. 10 2011, 3:49 pm

>I read something online once about mixed-species in Trek that was interesting. It argued that if humans and aliens could interbreed (without fertility treatment etc) they are not actually different species at all, just different races.

That would support the biological definition of "species". (Similar enough that two individuals are naturally able to produce fertile offspring = one species. And clearly K'ehlyr was fertile.) I've also heard it said that humans are more genetically compatible with house plants than they are likely to be with extraterrestrials. But that all comes down to suspension of disbelief in fiction.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Broadstorm

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 4:46 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Dec. 10 2011, 8:21 am

I knew it was never mentioned on screen, but it got out somehow, maybe leaked or mentioned in a book.  Since she was listed in the initial post, I was responding to that.  Either way, she would be the most plausible as the 2 races are basically 1 race.  The millenia of separtation & different environments could cause some differences.  Of course, their longer life spans would mean fewer generations of differentiation than if they were Humans.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 4:54 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Dec. 10 2011, 3:22 pm

> Dukat had at least one other half-Bajoran kid,
I think your mistaken about that.

Dukats daughter was played by 2 actors, but it was the same character.

We did see a male Bajoran/carrdi mix but it wasnt Dukats child

Photobucket

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 4:58 pm

Quote: starlisa @ Dec. 10 2011, 3:49 pm

Star trek never really mentions if fertility treatments are or arent needed or how often they are needed.jadzia apparently needed some help to get pergent by Worf.

Photobucket

the bungalo bill

Report this Dec. 10 2011, 6:23 pm

Quote: stovokor2000-A @ Dec. 10 2011, 4:54 pm

> Dukats daughter was played by 2 actors, but it was the same character.

>We

Actually, three actresses played Ziyal.