Why wasn't Soran inside the Nexus?

Romulan-Fan

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 3:03 am

When Captain Picard entered the Nexus after the sun blew up, where was Soran? How come we didn't see him inside the Nexus? Was he successful in getting inside? We only see Captain Picard and Captain Kirk in the Nexus.

OtakuJo

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 5:04 am

I'm going to theorise that a lot of what Picard saw was his own dream fantasy -- hence why Guinan's "echo" was also there. Soran would be more resistant to allowing Picard into his own experience of the Nexus than Kirk (who had never even met him and therefore had no reason to feel antipathy towards him) and therefore the chances of a real encounter between Picard and Soran was slim at best.

Of course, that's just a theory.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

guillermo.mejía

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 7:37 am

Yeah...mind-blowing, I know.

Roboto

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 1:26 pm

Funny, I never thought this was such a difficult thing to understand.

It is quite simple.

The nexus, as Guinan said, is whatever you want to be wherever you want to be. Thus, every inhabitant is in his own private, artificial universe, so to speak.

I am assuming that people could only connect if and when they wanted to, if it ever ocurred to them.

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 5:19 pm

There was no point in confronting Soran IN the nexus.  They didn't want to ruin his dream life, they wanted to save the planet and ship.  There was no need to waste their time bothering Soran in the Nexus so they went back in time to confront him before he ever entered.

So although Soran was in the Nexus, he wasn't confronted there.  Soran himself would also not seek out Picard.  For all he knew Picard was dead or had no way to reverse things.  Even if Soran thought Picard COULD reverse the situation, he was like a crack addict getting high once inside, probably lacking the ability to overcome his dream haze.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 6:16 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Nov. 30 2011, 7:37 am

>It's weird but, Soran WAS in the Nexus. Who's to say how many people are in there. Guinan's Echo just guided Picard to someone whom she knew would help him. Now, when they left the Nexus in the past, Soran physiscally hadn't entered the Nexus, hence why he was blown up and there no more. Quote the raven...

>It's a hard ending to wrap your head around. I spent a year or so after I first watched the movie assuming Picard was still in there leaving out his true fabtasy, to continue on as captain of the Enterprise. Which would have made First Contact something in the Nexus.

>Yeah...mind-blowing, I know.

I have said all along Picard never left the Nexus.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Nov. 30 2011, 6:20 pm

Quote: Trekwolf164 @ Nov. 30 2011, 6:16 pm

>I have said all along Picard never left the Nexus.

I once thougt that as well............then someone pointed out the missing commuinicator badge on Picard.

Photobucket

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 01 2011, 11:52 am

I think the reasons people had so much trouble with the Nexus stems from two things:

1) Too vague and random for a techno-babble oriented show TNG Era Trek was.

2) Did Picard really want some Victorian robotic family more than anything?? Why not cast Beverly in the role s the mother? Did Picard not miss his brother enough to cast the actor from the show in this little cameo? Little changes like that would have made the scene much more acceptable.