What should Klingons look like in the new timeline/universe?

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 10:43 am

The new movies take place at a time after ENT but before TOS (but in an alternate universe where we suppose the events of ENT happened).  They also will no doubt have a big budget for makeup and special effects.  So, if Klingons appear in the new movies, what should they look like and why?

Note:  This is not an ST09 hate thread, but a place to thoughtfully discuss anticipations.

Treknoir

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 10:56 am

At this point the ridges are iconic. Klingons are the most beloved alien species in Trekdom. They have a freakin' language spoken by IRL people. If brewery engineering and tricked out super ships sent hardcore fans into tizzy, rebooted Klingons would lead to looting and mayhem. LOL Now if they had ridges AND freaking laser beams on their head . . .

guillermo.mejía

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 11:50 am

I do believe it is possible to have both Klingons stand side by side. I realize it must seem taboo to consider it, but that's the reality o the Klingon Empire in the 23rd Century is it not?

I can also expect to have studio execs who know nothing of Trek say 'Oh but that's 2 types of Klingons. The casual movie goers will be confused." That can be delt with easily. You just stick a 2 minute dialogue where an actor can say "It seems the rumors of Klingons utilizing a human originated DNA enhancement technique were true." That simple. That right there is all the knowledge non Trek fans need. If they want to know more, that's what Enterprise is there for.

It's also not as crazy a solution as one would think, considering they did it more than once in the 09 film. You don't know what Starfleet is? Pike says "It's a humanitarian and peace-keeping armada." Boom, you're done. I don't agree with it but there you go. Want to know where Nero spent the next 25 ears waiting for Spock? Spock Prime says "...hidding." Boom, you're done.

So I'd like to see both designs, it would show some real guts from JJ, and if he IS doing Khan, Klingon augments and Human augments? The story-telling possibilities make my mind go nuts.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 12:53 pm

I say mix it up a bit, give us both types...give us something new too

Photobucket

AtoZ2

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 2:10 pm

It's not so much the look of the Klingons, but their demeanor.
Will they be the much feared plotting planning subversive Soviet cold war types that totally defined an era of our own history or will they be the diluted honor toting wussies of TNG?
As far as looks, a new hybrid type combining the both types if possible...so something new and different would be my choice...but not too far off from what is known....don't want to snap too many Trek bra's....or we'll have legends of hardcore Trekkies giving themselves self inflicted weggies as they pull their underwear up over their heads.
And really can we get away from them all talking like Kang with a deep structured voice that always seems foolishly forced by the actor??? Nothing weakens their believablity more then un skilled actors all pretending to speak using an alien voice.

AtoZ2

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 2:13 pm

toDQun

Report this Nov. 29 2011, 2:18 pm

Quote: AtoZ2 @ Nov. 29 2011, 2:13 pm

>And BTW, the original concept for the new Klingons as seen in TMP wasn't  Turtle shell forheads, it was a continuation of the spinal bones reaching the forebrow...I rather like that idea better then the silly mess of crest things that came later...

I agree, the Klingon look in TMP has always been my favorite.  I'd like the Klingons to look like TMP-era Klingons, and I'd love to see some of the Klingon culture and mannerisms from The Final Reflection injected into the story line.

toDQun

CloudMinder2

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 12:49 pm

The Klingons were best in TOS, because less make-up = more facial expression = more character

"There are always alternatives" Spock

24thcenstfan

Report this Jan. 10 2012, 2:55 pm

I associate TOS era Klingons more with the smooth heads anyway.  If they were to go with a version of the Klingons from the series I wouldn't mind.  It would kind of be nice to see a different perspective on Klingon look and demeanor since they are in an alternate reality.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 11 2012, 1:36 am

They should probably look more like they did in TOS rather than TNG, but I'm guessing they will go for the latter look.

Perhaps they should try a half-way house - more detail and worse teeth than TOS, but not quite to the extent we got in TNG.

The cranial ridge was supposed to be a extension of the spinal chord. That was how it was explained at the time ST:TMP came out. That made some kind of sense. Therefore to me, Klingons who have what looks like a continuation of a narrow spine coming up over from their neck are OK. Those that have a complete geographic skull statement with serious Grand Canyon pretensions - are not!

Plus I don't like all the long hair. Unkempt - yes - but all those tressles really? Always look better tied back into a pony tail to me.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Mitchz95

Report this Jan. 11 2012, 12:43 pm

I voted for smooth forheads, but I'd be willing to accept a couple with ridges - like one or two. The only problem with smooth-headed Klingons is that the fans of the first JJ movie will be disappointed that all these "aliens" look exactly like humans. Most of the Romulans in the 2009 movie didn't even have pointed ears, let along the crest on their forehead.

stovokor2000-A

POSTS: 2001

Report this Jan. 13 2012, 11:43 pm

Quote: Mitchz95 @ Jan. 11 2012, 12:43 pm

>Most of the Romulans in the 2009 movie didn't even have pointed ears,

Excuse me???

I think you need to re-watch the film.

I believe Nero was the only one that had 1 missing pointed ear.

Photobucket

megan512

Report this Jan. 14 2012, 7:01 pm

Hm... I actually wouldn't mind the smooth foreheads. A mix of both would be all right, though. I'm not a big fan of the overly bumpy foreheads. It just doesn't look right.

Captain Rex

Report this Jan. 14 2012, 7:06 pm

I think they should have characteristics of both.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 16 2012, 7:03 pm

Well, considering that it's post ENT where they lost the turtle shell.... it makes since that they still have it lost (unless it's much later - like at the end of Kirk's career.)

Users browsing this forum: JOYOFVGR