Are Star Trek fans Starfleet material?

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 11:38 am

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 3:20 pm

I think of it like those in the military - very few get to command.

Reedworftripparis

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 4:03 pm

I would be accepted to the academy because when I put my mind to something, I do my best to succeed. I would graduate and be assigned a good ship. Would I be command material? Probably not but I would go up the ranks but probably not make it all the way to that top and that would be fine with me.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

guillermo.mejía

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 5:37 pm

I believe I'd get in, but I have no crazy dreams about becoming captain, unless a crazy furture romulan shows up...

I see myself as a crewman, petty officer or chief petty officer.

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 5:46 pm

I think I'd get in, maybe make chief engineer but I don't have the ability to suck up or respect poor leadership so would probably be overlooked for command.

To the main concept of the thread, I think most trekkies would never be accepted into the academy. You have some well driven and highly placed trek fans like Richard Branson and the CEO of Bombardier but most I just don't wouldn't be academy material.

megan512

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 6:51 pm

Ha, I wish I could get in. But I don't have very good leadership abilities, and I'm I'm good at math at science, but I don't really like it. So nope, I wouldn't make it into Starfleet. Now, if they were looking for musicians...

Matthias Russell

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 6:49 am

^ Excellent point. Sometimes the Starfleet bar is kind of low; it has its share of under achievers and corrupt leaders.

But we also have to consider the physical fitness requirements. Although, I don't remember Wesley having to pass a physical.

MoppyCGDaniels

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 10:25 am

If I would gratuate from SF Academy though I'd be in Command, because I'm trained in leadership qualities.

LtPondwater9

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 2:06 pm

Possibly. I do have medical training.

The ducks fly at Midnight.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 5:25 pm

Since I have already served in the US Armed Forces and seerved under field grade to command grade officers, I would do well in command.

Caesar753

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 6:50 pm

I don't know if I'm command material, but I could definitely work in a science or academic setting.  I would be well suited as ship's historian or archaeologist.

Treknoir

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 9:29 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Nov. 15 2011, 11:38 am

>You are a Trekkie, otherwise you wouldn't be here. You know other trekkies and can compare them to the doers and thinkers you know. So honestly, if Starfleet was real would many Trek fans be command material? Would most be red shirt phaser fodder or not even be accepted by the academy?

I'd love to be the OSHA-equivalent senior officer. Cuz SF sure as heck needs a secure bridge and proper restraints. And I'm pretty sure the holodeck is flat out misused on the regular.

Or the senior medical officer because Risian- or Riker-bred STIs are also a major concern.

konarciq

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 11:10 am

Not me. I would never serve in the military - peaceful or not.

KelisThePoet

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 11:46 am

I definitely am not Starfleet material.  That's one of the reasons that Neelix is one of my favorite Star Trek characters.  I imagine that if I ever did end up connected with a Starfleet vessel, I'd behave a lot like him: asking what all the buttons do, misunderstanding terminology and trying my best to fit in by improvising and looking for the kind of tasks I could do; always hoping to be more accepted, to wear a real Starfleet uniform, to work with security or something.

And yet, I hope I would actually prove as resourceful and clever as does Neelix.

Most of the time, when we watch adventure-action stories, it's a kind of wish fulfillment.  The whole point is to see heroes who are better than we are so that we can day dream about similarly being the captain of a starship, activating the photonic cannon and all.  I think that's great.  In my day dreams, I've always been James T. Kirk, never Neelix.  But I do find it ironic that the more flawed, unprepared characters in these kinds of stories are often ignored, or even downright hated for their flaws (Neelix, Jar Jar Binks), when the truth is that the world is full of far more Neelixes than Kirks, and the sadder truth is that most people would actually do worse than Neelix with the kind of resources he has.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

KelisThePoet

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 11:52 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Initally I thought No just redshirt or engineering fodder.

>But then I thought Marla McGivers, Boma, that racist dude from 'Balance of Terror', Barclay and I think maybe
hee hee, McGivers--I always tease my sister about her, because my sister majored in history, so I always joke about why in the world the Enterprise has a history officer on board and about how incompetent the history officer is.

But I should be careful, because being an English Lit teacher, the only conceivable way I'd end up on a Starfleet vessel would be if Picard pulled me in for a refresher course after the "Darmok" episode.