Star Trek data for academic work

Flavia

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 6:10 am

Hello!

First of all, I'd have to say I loved this site. It's really astonishing and well organized. And beautiful too!

I've been a Star Trek fan since the Next Generation, and now I'm starting work on my mastering degree on the subject. I've been finding it difficult to find some raw data on the series, and I'd like to ask if you can help me or point the way.

I'm looking for data like shooting schedule, nielsen ratings, the companies that produced and the networks and channels that aired all the series (or at least, STNG and Enterprise). Also, I'd be interested to know about aquisition by channels outside the USA. Do you have a clue how this kind of data can be found ou who I should contact?

superthanks (with a cherry on top), guys

Flavia

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 8:27 am

Hi, starbase63k! Thanks for the answer!

I'll have 2 years to find the answers. Still, better sooner than later. I'll still have to find more data on production, though I've tryed memoryalpha and google.

There's some discussion concerning the effects of setember 11 2001 attacks on cinema and television series and that's why shooting schedules would be helpful. I've found them only for the 3rd and 4th season of Enterprise, (on http://www.psiphi.org/content/episodes/s3/filming.html) which is a start, though I'll have to find a way to confirm the data there and find the data for the 1st and 2nd season. Fans do a lot of great work - especially Star Trek fans - which is really cool!

thank you for the production info above. It has clarified a lot, and it's very relevant data.

Nice meeting you, starbase63k! Live long and prosper

wissa

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 8:58 am

this will give you the origional run dates and production numbers of Enterprise

It's premier episode was postponed because of 9/11.  Most fans consider season 3 of that show to be reflective of the aftermath of 9/11

I have a list of star trek site links here.  Hopefully you will find some usefull

Like us on Facebook Haters gotta hate

Flavia

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 2:35 pm

Hi, wissa!

The 2 sites you pointed are just awsome! I'll sure have a lot of work and fun

thanks for the help!

I think I'd agree with what most fans think. But I'll still have to figure out why the delay: is it due to a general policy by the cultural industries of not addressing the issue? (some cinema experts say that hollywood did that for a while in the aftermath of the attacks). Or  is it due to an incapability  of changing the trek peace-making formula? Maybe it was just business as usual (epidodes had been already written, money already spent on preparations such as filming sets, or maybe episodes had even been filmed much in advance). The producers might have felt no need to change...? Did the audience enjoy the change? Questions, questions...

Although this is a rather lateral issue (for what is important, after all, is that change itself happened) we are always in search of details.

I am super-grateful for the help, wissa! I didn't even expect warp 9 answers such as those of you and starbase63k above!

wissa

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 2:55 pm

I think traumatic events like that take time to process and perculate through the subconscious in a way that will come back in a creative manner.  I also think the producers and writers knew people needed time to heal before they could watch that trauma being interpreted on the screen.

Like us on Facebook Haters gotta hate

Flavia

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 4:02 am

Hi, wissa!

I agree. It seems Hollywood started reshufling their releases and avoiding the theme for a while. From 2003 they started addressing it in war movies and action.  (that's in "Film and Television after 9/11"). The delay makes sense. I have to think about it, though, because I'm going to be asked for sure, even though it is not exactly my focus. Everybody thinks of American politics and even remotelly-politically-related things in terms of before and after 9-11. I think the trauma is shared.

thanks for taking your time, wissa, I really appreciate it.

Mrs. Slowpoke

Report this Nov. 20 2011, 12:09 pm

I'm not doing anything too big but I would like to know source information for a speech I'm writing. I need names of the people (or person) who wrote the articles on the Federation, Klingon, and Vulcan and the date it was posted. I would very much appreciate any information on how to get it. Thank you.

Users browsing this forum: sonofspock1