ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

What did you think about Captain Jellico?

Report this
Created by: the bungalo bill

the bungalo bill

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2308

Report this Nov. 12 2011, 9:36 pm

Option three will probably win overwelmingly.


OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Nov. 12 2011, 9:43 pm

Possible but don't go stacking the deck there with leading opening posts!


I honestly thought he was a capable tactician. We weren't supposed to like him but his strategy in dealing with the Cardassians seemed pretty sound. He was probably more Sisko-like than Picard. His problem was that a lot of his command style had more to do with bravado than confidence, and that the crew resisted him from the start. He appeared able to handle the pressure of a sudden transition, but not so skilful at managing people.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46291

Report this Nov. 12 2011, 9:53 pm

^^ Please don't insult Sisko.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 12:48 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Nov. 12 2011, 9:43 pm

>

>Possible but don't go stacking the deck there with leading opening posts!

>I honestly thought he was a capable tactician. We weren't supposed to like him but his strategy in dealing with the Cardassians seemed pretty sound. He was probably more Sisko-like than Picard. His problem was that a lot of his command style had more to do with bravado than confidence, and that the crew resisted him from the start. He appeared able to handle the pressure of a sudden transition, but not so skilful at managing people.

>


I say he was worse than Picard, but still vastly preferable to Sisko.  I get the impression Jellico at least would have handled his own dirty work rather than outsourcing it & and getting indignant with whoever did it for him.  I think they should have just let Riker have command in that incident.  He was the first officer, had been offered command 3 times (Drake, Aries, Melbourne), and given command of Enterprise during the Borg incident.  The crew trusted & respected him.  He had proven himself capable against the Borg, a far more formidable opponent than the Cardassians.  Bringing in Jellico was really just a way to cause tension on Enterprise that dealing with the Cardassians wouldn't do.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46291

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 1:22 pm

Quote: Broadstorm @ Nov. 13 2011, 12:48 pm

>I think they should have just let Riker have command in that incident.  He was the first officer, had been offered command 3 times (Drake, Aries, Melbourne), and given command of Enterprise during the Borg incident.  The crew trusted & respected him.  He had proven himself capable against the Borg, a far more formidable opponent than the Cardassians.  Bringing in Jellico was really just a way to cause tension on Enterprise that dealing with the Cardassians wouldn't do.
I don't think that would have worked as they wouldn't have let a junior Captain command the Federation's flagship. They had to place someone in command that was a very senior Captain.


clover_data

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 645

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 3:32 pm

Jellico and the crew of the enterprise did not mix well together. Jellico could of mix well and was a expontional captain for his own ship but not on the enterprise.


"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Picard

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46291

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 4:32 pm

Seem like in the "New Frontier" books, Calhoun decks Jellico.


OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 10:57 pm

Sorry guys Calhoun is a bit of a non-entity to me.


I don't think he is preferable to Sisko, merely that his militant nature is more similar to Sisko's than it is to Picard's more cerebral and diplomatic personality.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Nov. 13 2011, 11:28 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Nov. 13 2011, 1:22 pm

Quote: Broadstorm @ Nov. 13 2011, 12:48 pm

>

>I think they should have just let Riker have command in that incident.  He was the first officer, had been offered command 3 times (Drake, Aries, Melbourne), and given command of Enterprise during the Borg incident.  The crew trusted & respected him.  He had proven himself capable against the Borg, a far more formidable opponent than the Cardassians.  Bringing in Jellico was really just a way to cause tension on Enterprise that dealing with the Cardassians wouldn't do.
I don't think that would have worked as they wouldn't have let a junior Captain command the Federation's flagship. They had to place someone in command that was a very senior Captain.


Generally speaking, I would agree that would be the norm, but Riker had proven himself in combat on numerous occasions.  He stopped the Borg.  I think he could handle the Cardassians.  Remember that he had actually been given command of Enterprise during the Borg incident.  I realize that under different circumstances, such as a captain choosing to retire, someone else could be brought in, but in a crisis, the first officer gets a promotion.  Riker could have been captain several times over, and I doubt that Starfleet would have allowed someone who wasn't ready to command the flagship to be the first officer.

LtPondwater9

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 11620

Report this Nov. 15 2011, 4:48 pm

Not an equal to Picard, not any better or worse either. He wasn't a good fit for the crew of the Enterprise-D. Another starship perhaps.


The ducks fly at Midnight.

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 10:45 pm

Quote: LtPondwater9 @ Nov. 15 2011, 4:48 pm

>

>Not an equal to Picard, not any better or worse either. He wasn't a good fit for the crew of the Enterprise-D. Another starship perhaps.

>


Like the one he'd just come from. No doubt he was a decent captain to his own crew.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Medic_1849

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 395

Report this Nov. 18 2011, 12:41 pm

No better or worse than Picard.  Just a different style of leadership.  Some thrive under it, others do not.


Would be interesting to see how he fared during the Dominion War.

Vulcan1981

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 462

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 3:02 am

I am so not a Jellico fan...at all.


"Comforting words. Use them next time instead of "resistance is futile". You may elicit a few volunteers."- Seven of Nine

Pooneil

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1023

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 8:14 am

Jellico made a good antagonist for the rest of the crew, but sometimes I wonder how a guy like him ever got into Starfleet in the first place. He seemed like a relic of a 20th century military.


Ronny Cox is much better as a villain, so it's difficult to like him as one of the good guys.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Dec. 23 2011, 3:19 pm

I think Jellico is a much more realistic picture of what a Starfleet captain would really be like, rather than Picard. But, he is no "better" or "worse."


 


That said, I think he was an excellent captain and leader for the situation presented in "Chain of Command." It is actually the crew of the Enterprise who are in the wrong in that episode.

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum