ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

USS Defiant

clover_data

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 645

Report this Nov. 01 2011, 5:51 pm

I have a slight problem with the defiant. The problem with it having a cloaking device. Why does it have a cloaking device when the treaty of  Algeron says that no fedartion ship can not have a cloaking device? Did the treaty no longer in effect when the Defiant was built? 


Thankyou 


"It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Picard

Hugues

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 537

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 4:26 am

The treaty was with the Romulans. They did receive permission from the Romulans to use it, but only in Dominion space.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 4:40 am

Also, there was originally a Romulan assigned to operate and secure it, but that just went away like joined Trills not being able to survive transporters, the runabouts being limited to transporting 2 at a time and numerous other things that were established, but became inconvenient.

Reedworftripparis

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4163

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 3:18 pm

I remember the Romulan being on the Defiant as well when they first put in the cloak.


"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

MoppyCGDaniels

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 409

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 4:09 pm

It's because the Romulans permitted the USS Defiant only to use the cloacking device for use in the Gamma quadrant. Even though the loan device was extented into the Aplha quadrant.

TediousMarty

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 13

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 4:16 pm

Quote: Broadstorm @ Nov. 02 2011, 4:40 am

>

>Also, there was originally a Romulan assigned to operate and secure it, but that just went away like joined Trills not being able to survive transporters, the runabouts being limited to transporting 2 at a time and numerous other things that were established, but became inconvenient.

>


Yeah there was a romulan chic using it for them but she didn't want to show them how or some shit.


WhiteTrek

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 4:18 pm

With having the device on board, there was nothing really to stop the Federation from developing their own cloak.


... or researching it for vulnerabilities for when the time comes that the Federation goes to war with the Romulan Empire again.


TrekFan1964

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 61

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 10:24 pm

It was for limited use when the Dominion Wars took place. I am certain that was stated more than once by the Admiralty of Starfleet, as I recall when DS9 was aired and I watched regularly.

BrotherofShran01

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 23344

Report this Nov. 02 2011, 11:39 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Nov. 02 2011, 4:18 pm

>

>With having the device on board, there was nothing really to stop the Federation from developing their own cloak.

>... or researching it for vulnerabilities for when the time comes that the Federation goes to war with the Romulan Empire again.

>


 


The Federation already had its own cloak in the TNG episode "The Pegasus". Admiral Pressman was Captain of that ship during the development of the interphasic cloaking device.


 



 



I always party at Starbase 63!

Starbase

PeepsMcJuggs

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 409

Report this Nov. 03 2011, 1:32 am

I just finished rewatching DS9 (thank you, Netflix!).  The agreement with the Romulans was that they only use it in the Gamma Quadrant in exchange for any intel the Federation collected on the Dominion.


Of course, in practice, this agreement was violated whenever the script called for it.  So the original question is valid, because the crew of DS9 violated the agreement, and therefore the Treaty of Algeron, whenever it was convenient.


Of course, this is the same Ben Sisko that was complicit in the assassination of a Romulan senator so the Romulans would enter the war, so I guess it's par for the course.


As for the interphasic cloak, that device was illegal, and likely destroyed by the crew of the Enterprise D (seeing as Picard's principles wouldn't allow him to bring such a device back to the Federation).


I Borg'd yo mama last night. She found it very assimilating.

EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Nov. 03 2011, 9:36 am

Quote: PeepsMcJuggs @ Nov. 03 2011, 1:32 am

>

>Of course, in practice, this agreement was violated whenever the script called for it.  So the original question is valid, because the crew of DS9 violated the agreement, and therefore the Treaty of Algeron, whenever it was convenient.

>Of course, this is the same Ben Sisko that was complicit in the assassination of a Romulan senator so the Romulans would enter the war, so I guess it's par for the course.

>


Agreed...  it seemed to be a convenient way to get a cloaking device aboard and then the agreement was neatly dropped and the cloaking device used whenever Sisko decided it would be to his advantage...  I figure that Sisko would justify it by noting the difference between the utopian society of Earth (where the Federation participants would've been located), and the harsh reality of life on the edge of the frontier....  and on the frontlines of a war....


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Nov. 03 2011, 10:14 am

Quote: BrotherofShran01 @ Nov. 02 2011, 11:39 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Nov. 02 2011, 4:18 pm

>

>

>With having the device on board, there was nothing really to stop the Federation from developing their own cloak.

>... or researching it for vulnerabilities for when the time comes that the Federation goes to war with the Romulan Empire again.

>

 

The Federation already had its own cloak in the TNG episode "The Pegasus". Admiral Pressman was Captain of that ship during the development of the interphasic cloaking device.

 

 

Yea, I know.  I was thinking of that episode too.


FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46314

Report this Nov. 03 2011, 10:35 am

Quote:

As for the interphasic cloak, that device was illegal, and likely destroyed by the crew of the Enterprise D (seeing as Picard's principles wouldn't allow him to bring such a device back to the Federation).
I doubt that as it would have been needed as evidence to court martial ADM Pressman and his group.


EmpokNorStationManager

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2034

Report this Nov. 03 2011, 11:42 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Nov. 03 2011, 10:35 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>As for the interphasic cloak, that device was illegal, and likely destroyed by the crew of the Enterprise D (seeing as Picard's principles wouldn't allow him to bring such a device back to the Federation).
I doubt that as it would have been needed as evidence to court martial ADM Pressman and his group.


True...  especially since the defendants in that case included several admirals and the head of Starfleet Security... 


That is all.... Empok Nor Station Manager

BrotherofShran01

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 23344

Report this Nov. 05 2011, 4:40 pm

I said this before and will say it again. It is time for the Federation to dump the treaty of Algeron and have its own cloaking device. Nearly every aggressive species has one from the Suliban to the Klingons. The Federation doesn't have to sneak, but I use it for intelligence gathering and defense.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum