ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Star Trek: TNG Reviewed From Start to Finish

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 5:01 pm

Shades of Grey does provide a trivia question as none of it was filmed on the bridge.  We only see the bridge in flashbacks in that episode.


You made it through season 2 which means no more Pulaski!

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 1:54 am

 I take it you arent a fan of Pulaski?:-D I was surprised when i first saw these eps years ago that Diana Muldaur managed to put some character into her performance, as you wouldnt think of her successfully playing a crabby old cow. Strange that she wasnt billed in the opening credits, and that she never returned.


SEASON 3


The look of the show improves this season, Worf gets a new head, the uniforms change (for the main characters - quite a few crewmen are seen wearing the old ones), and theres a different intro. The series is confident of its success now. Unfortunately, most of the stories are still fairly uninteresting. Its also clear now that the show is not going to live up to the promise of the opening narration - rather than boldly going `where no one has gone before', the Enterprise is warping backwards and forwards in an area of space that everyone is familiar with, and rather than exploring, the ship's chief purpose is to go on missions for StarFleet, transferring passengers and equipment, checking up on colonies, mediating in disputes etc. What happened to the mission to `explore strange new worlds'?


EVOLUTION


Despite the fun of seeing the new look, this story isnt up to much. Its tame, safe, cliched stuff. I dont agree with the show's philosophy of respecting ALL forms of life - the nano life-forms in this ep would have been disposed of without a qualm if id been in charge. I like the line `The egg is prepared Captain, you may lay it when ready'.


THE ENSIGNS OF COMMAND


This episode is nothing special either. The Sheliak are unusual aliens, and the female scientist who takes a shine to Data is quite cute, and thats about all the ep has to offer.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 4:30 am

Quote: Spouter @ Feb. 10 2012, 1:54 am

>

> I take it you arent a fan of Pulaski?:-D I was surprised when i first saw these eps years ago that Diana Muldaur managed to put some character into her performance, as you wouldnt think of her successfully playing a crabby old cow. Strange that she wasnt billed in the opening credits, and that she never returned.

>SEASON 3

>The look of the show improves this season, Worf gets a new head, the uniforms change (for the main characters - quite a few crewmen are seen wearing the old ones), and theres a different intro. The series is confident of its success now. Unfortunately, most of the stories are still fairly uninteresting. Its also clear now that the show is not going to live up to the promise of the opening narration - rather than boldly going `where no one has gone before', the Enterprise is warping backwards and forwards in an area of space that everyone is familiar with, and rather than exploring, the ship's chief purpose is to go on missions for StarFleet, transferring passengers and equipment, checking up on colonies, mediating in disputes etc. What happened to the mission to `explore strange new worlds'?

>EVOLUTION

>Despite the fun of seeing the new look, this story isnt up to much. Its tame, safe, cliched stuff. I dont agree with the show's philosophy of respecting ALL forms of life - the nano life-forms in this ep would have been disposed of without a qualm if id been in charge. I like the line `The egg is prepared Captain, you may lay it when ready'.

>THE ENSIGNS OF COMMAND

>This episode is nothing special either. The Sheliak are unusual aliens, and the female scientist who takes a shine to Data is quite cute, and thats about all the ep has to offer.

>


I think they made a huge mistake with the CMO.  Crusher was decent, and Pulaski wasn't.  One of the good things about TNG is that they didn't try to simply recycle the TOS format.  Pulaski was basically a female version of McCoy, a CMO who hated transporters, and picked fights with the logical member of the crew, and in spite of not having the same familiarity with Picard that McCoy had with Kirk, freuently stepped out of line.

selma1701

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 35

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 5:19 am

Spouter, I must tell you something... I have seen all TNG episodes, Voyager, some of DS9, Enterprise, and all the movies, but I never got the opportunity to collect all TOS episodes on my computer.  I regret that so much, but I don`t have any friends who are ST fans. So there is no one from who I can get those episodes. My internet connection is wireless and it is pretty slow for large amounts of downloads.


Anyway, I am a great ST fan and I will try to get these episodes so I can finally watch them all.


I admire you for writing all this, it`s a lot of work, but your posts are incredible!

selma1701

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 35

Report this Feb. 10 2012, 5:30 am

...as this time, I agree with your comments. On Peak Performance, I must say I was surprised how the strategist managed to beat Data (btw. it`s Kolrami) and that part was interesting. Notice how upset he got when Data beat him the second tome? LoL

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Feb. 13 2012, 11:00 am

Quote: selma1701 @ Feb. 10 2012, 5:19 am

>

>Spouter, I must tell you something... I have seen all TNG episodes, Voyager, some of DS9, Enterprise, and all the movies, but I never got the opportunity to collect all TOS episodes on my computer.  I regret that so much, but I don`t have any friends who are ST fans. So there is no one from who I can get those episodes. My internet connection is wireless and it is pretty slow for large amounts of downloads.

>Anyway, I am a great ST fan and I will try to get these episodes so I can finally watch them all.

>I admire you for writing all this, it`s a lot of work, but your posts are incredible!

>


Thank you


THE SURVIVORS


This is a step in the right direction, though i dont think the episode's conclusion is the great `tear-jerker' many UK fans think it is. The idea of Deanna being driven mad by the recurring tune is quite disturbing, and theres some nice fx shots with the blasted surface of the planet.


WHO WATCHES THE WATCHERS?


This is good but not a stand-out. The Mintakans are interesting, and i always like to see the regulars `surgically altered' to look like aliens. personally, i think the Prime Directive is a bad idea and StarFleet should have forgotten about it.


THE BONDING


One of the worst ST eps ever, surely. Dreadful, i got nothing out of this at all. The child actor (who apparently was a total terror who antagonised everyone on the set) puts virtually no emotion into his performance, and even Michael Dorn cant save the story. It promised to be quite emotional, but falls flat.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 14 2012, 3:45 pm

I really like Who Watches the Watchers? although it seemed a little weak how the guy ended up outside the observation post.  It was a good idea, but they could have come up with a better way.  This episode is a good example of why the Prime Directive exists.  Even with that small accidental exposure, this very peaceful race could have plummeted into holy wars over different interpretations of what was happening.  The superior technology made the outsiders seem powerful, but their injuries and deaths would cause others to doubt.  If you want another really good example of why the Prime Directive is a good idea, then you should watch Enterprise S2E08 The Communicator.  There was actually a thread on here a few months ago about whether Picard did the right thing.

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Feb. 16 2012, 12:50 pm

Some good points as ever, Broadstorm. I havent seen that ep of Enterprise yet.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 16 2012, 2:41 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Feb. 16 2012, 12:50 pm

>

>Some good points as ever, Broadstorm. I havent seen that ep of Enterprise yet.

>


If you don't see the value in the Prime Directive, then I would recommend taking a slight detour to watch that before you continue on with TNG & Voy.  It actually makes the point pretty well.

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 3:43 am

BOOBY TRAP


This episode isnt as interesting as i thought it would be. The `booby trap' that ensnares the ship isnt the prime focus. Instead the emphasis is a character study of Geordi, his self-imposed shyness with women, and his falling for a hologram of Leah Brahms.


THE ENEMY


The main storyline, with Geordi and the Romulan trying to survive on the (nicely-executed) planet surface is overshadowed by the subplot involving Worf and his refusal to help save a Romulan's life.

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Feb. 23 2012, 4:19 am

Booby Trap was okay, and will be referred to in later episodes.


The Enemy introduced a good character, Tomalak, played by an excellent actor.  He is in a few more episodes.  I like this episode.  It does show the Romulan on the surface as guided by propaganda, but by the end of the episode, he seems to question his perceptions of the Federation.


Did you check out that Enterprise episode I mentioned?

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Mar. 08 2012, 4:25 am

Quote: Broadstorm @ Feb. 23 2012, 4:19 am

>

>Booby Trap was okay, and will be referred to in later episodes.

>The Enemy introduced a good character, Tomalak, played by an excellent actor.  He is in a few more episodes.  I like this episode.  It does show the Romulan on the surface as guided by propaganda, but by the end of the episode, he seems to question his perceptions of the Federation.

>Did you check out that Enterprise episode I mentioned?

>
No, havent got that season, but will eventually get round to reviewing Enterprise and DSN.


THE PRICE


Another dull story, nothing about this episode grabs me, though its interesting to see the 2 Ferengi get lost, knowing they'll return in Voyager.

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Mar. 14 2012, 11:40 am

THE VENGEANCE FACTOR


The story involving the Acamarians and the Gatherers promises to be fairly dull until we see one of the former kill one of the latter simply by touching him. The micro-virus, that the Acamarians have developed, is an interesting touch  and poor Riker suffers in this one, as he falls in love with Yuta, a young woman who is consumed with hatred and bitterness and wants the negotiations with the Gatherers to fail. It all builds to a lively finale, and a nice coda in which Picard offres Riker extended shore leave.


THE DEFECTOR


This ep is good, but like most of seasons 1, 2 & 3, not outstanding. The suspense is well-maintained, as to whether the Romulan Jarok really is a traitor to his people or not, and there are good performances from James Sloyan and Andreas Katsulas (who Patrick Stewart once remarked was his favourite TNG guest star). Theres also a nice teaser with Patrick Stewart in uncredited mode playing a character from Henry V.


 

Roddenberry's Disciple

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 70

Report this Mar. 16 2012, 6:38 pm

Uh...Balance of Terror is one of THE greatest episodes of Star Trek...ever.


"Star Trek" was, is, and will always be "Star Trek" (as in the original series). "The Next Generation" is a spectacular show that I more or less consider equal to the original, and DS9 is pretty good (albeit far overrated by many). The first 8 movies are fine by me too!

Broadstorm

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 828

Report this Mar. 17 2012, 6:01 am

Quote: Spouter @ Mar. 14 2012, 11:40 am

>

>THE DEFECTOR

>This ep is good, but like most of seasons 1, 2 & 3, not outstanding. The suspense is well-maintained, as to whether the Romulan Jarok really is a traitor to his people or not, and there are good performances from James Sloyan and Andreas Katsulas (who Patrick Stewart once remarked was his favourite TNG guest star). Theres also a nice teaser with Patrick Stewart in uncredited mode playing a character from Henry V.

>


Sloyan is really good, especially in that role.  Katsulas showed up in other episodes as Tomalak, but you have seen the 2 really good ones.  Katsulas was really able to display his talent as G'Kar in Babylon 5.  Even with his face completely covered, he could accomplish convincing facial expressions, an has a voice that really makes an impression.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum