What did JJ Abrams REALLY do for Star Trek ?

Created by: DammitJim6200

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 28 2011, 12:50 pm

Look..I'm dammitjim, a loyal, LOYAL Star Trekker, probably the biggest trekker on this site, I got all the models tons of magazines, all the series, I was satisfied with Star Trek..But in 2007 BEFORE JJ Abrams put out his version of Trek everything was Ok !right ?..Why ? we were happy with TNG Picard and crew, Nemesis may had done weak at the boxoffice because of the severe competition (that Abrams movie didn't have) But we were still looking foward to the next TNG movie.But now those fruit loops at Paramount Had to PUNISH us with a BOGUS JET FUEL STUPIDITY driven, RETRO IDIOTIC version of TOS, a guy who wasn't a Star trek fan saw the movie and told me, "I thought Star Trek was suppose to be serious not silly" I told him Abrams movie is not Star Trek, It's Star Trek meets Luke Skywalker, sure it made lots of money, people love silly things with lots of action and foolishness, That fool  JJ Abrams said Star Trek needed to be more lively and faster like Star Wars, But Star trek isen't about a bunch of idiots running around screaming and ships blowing up, Star Trek movies and the Tv shows always made us feel good about the future, the only thing Abrams Trek  did was made people LAUGH, BURP and fall asleep, Thats said, As a loyal fan I cannot watch the movie, I get nauseous and throw up, I just can't take it..What has Abrams done for Star Trek ? has he continued with the brilliant TNG, DS9 and Voyager ? NO, he purposely disregarded them all in his dumb movie, Does, he and the writers Orci and Kurtzman have a sequel plan ? NO, they'll slap together another silly movie with Khan in it, no new ideas, no new interesting races, just a whole lot of confusion with loud effects,and Spock acting like a-Oh FORGET IT..Is this what we want in Star Trek, alot of bright lights, explosions and no substance ?  That's all JJ Abrams is capable of, is Star trek better or worse ?

Blockman

Report this Oct. 28 2011, 9:18 pm

If anyone goes to the Movies Forums section and orders the threads (at the top) by most replies you'll see this guy is in every bash ST09 thread. Spouting off and repeating the same exact stuff for the past 2 years, trying to get some sort of TOS vs TNG war going, by repeating the same "TNG is teh BESTZORZ, and Picard R00lz YOU!!!111"

First off, TNG was great but there was never going to be another TNG movie. That's why they wrapped it all up with that whole "family" aspect and split them apart at the end. We all know ST09 was a guilty pleasure of reinvigorating Action! but you're not going to see Picard and Geordi run around the galaxy with commander what's-his-name. (Data's dead, Riker and Troi are gone, and Worf wasn't a part of the crew since DS9.

If no one else replies to this guy his only option is to keep bumping his own thread, which would get him banned.

Oct 28, 2011

OtakuJo

Report this Oct. 28 2011, 9:25 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

DammitJim6200

Report this Oct. 28 2011, 11:05 pm

Blockman, you shouldn't be afraid of those that, hate the movie, chastising a persons opinion and speachs can also get a person "banned".

Blockman

Report this Oct. 28 2011, 11:48 pm

It's all been said and debated

If anyone wants to jump into his tepid, 2 year old, pool of anger just check those links above. Chances are it's already been said, and he's heard it all.

If this thread is just left here, then he won't get all the same responses he's expecting, so he can reply to them all over again.

Done.

Oct 28, 2011

LtPondwater9

Report this Oct. 29 2011, 8:08 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Oct. 28 2011, 9:25 pm

>I am of the opinion that JJ Abrams didn't do anything to Star Trek. The recent movie is what it is, and TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and all the other movies are what they are. Apart from that it happens to be in the Star Trek universe, the movie had little effect on what I like about earlier Trek series. They're not about to get better or worse because JJ made a movie.

>Also I would add that no matter what people do with Trek in the future, it is highly unlikely to please all fans. I don't think that's a bad thing -- Quite the contrary, it speaks of the diversity and passion of fandom.

Exactly that!

And it brought some people into trek that never would of watched it before.

The ducks fly at Midnight.

___Lucifer___

Report this Oct. 29 2011, 10:45 am

He resuscitated a dying franchise and made a frakton of $$$ in the process.

wissa

Report this Oct. 29 2011, 11:25 am

He gave DammitJim a cause

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

AtoZ2

Report this Oct. 29 2011, 5:19 pm

Quote: wissa @ Oct. 29 2011, 11:25 am

>He gave DammitJim a cause

You got that right Wissa!!

This thread is almost spam with a twist of lemon.

It's hard to believe some one could be so self proclaimed and delusional at the same time LOL

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"

Treknoir

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 12:08 pm

Reedworftripparis

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 3:55 pm

I really like the movie. I thought it was well done. I think JJ did a good job with it. He added new life to Star Trek. I think the actors they picked were a good fit to the original characters as well.

"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

Katariel1701

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 4:01 pm

picard_2305

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 4:59 pm

JJ Abrams made a good film but come on it is far from the best.

He dumbed it down for the mainstream and had the writers of those awful Transformers film write a script that was good on character moments but silly on plot which required contrivances to get the story going to point a to b.

The cast was good but Simon Pegg, while enetertaining, is NOT, I repeat NOT, Scotty to me. Too much comedic relief and I feel that Zoe Saldana almost ruined the character of Uhura by making her a bit too bitchy.

I really enjoyed the movie but it is different from the Trek I fell in love with all those years ago when I caught The Wrath of Khan on TV as a kid.

JJ Abrams seems to know what the mainstream likes, unfortunately when it comes to the mainstream too many sacrifices have to be made for that audience who don't give a rat's ass about Trek.

I understand why he did but I have to say I am not totally happy with all the changes.

To me its a good film but it is separate canon to me.

Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

AtoZ2

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 6:21 pm

It appears that once again DJ is going to be bitch slapped across StarTrek.com...some things never change...

Mitchz95

Report this Oct. 31 2011, 6:40 pm

I liked the movie, but I wish they'd been more clear on establishing that the new timeline is a seperate quantum reality from the "canon universe" in which the other films and episodes happened.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the new Captain Kirk. I can definitely buy him being a rebellious youth, but I can't see him going out and making peaceful first contacts. He seems more the type to blow up the aliens (or at least insult them) than negotiate with them.

Hopefully the in the next movie (are we calling it #12 or #2? ) they'll have matured him a bit more.

And I hope the Enterprise gets refitted with phaser-like weapons to replace those Star Wars blasters.