Should Star Trek Return to TV

A Little Otter

Report this Oct. 16 2011, 4:13 pm

There's an interesting blog that poses the question as to whether there should be a new TV series, and if so, what should it be?  It can be found at http://filmverse.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/should-star-trek-return-to-tv/

heronymous

Report this Oct. 16 2011, 8:20 pm

Hi Otter ! An Excellent Article on whether Star Trek should return to TV ! Through the Grapevine , I believe it is ! But everything mentioned in the analysis is true , unfortunately ! But wonderful insight and I'm bookmarking your site ! The Truth is by 2004-2005 , a lot of the trek community had lost interest in the Series and the Movies . In 2008-2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek was popular with the wider community and some core fans , and it shook the canon world . But , I have to say that if a new Series was eminent , it may not be as successful as would be hoped for . Put the lost audience down to media diversity and other Tv Series being more exciting !

Read JBarentine's 'Series I'd like' in the General Star Trek Discussion Forum for other ideas on Series . He mentioned Starfleet Academy , and my reply was to make it suitable for late Teens , with some exceptional young actors like Zac Arroyo , Vanessa Trebelle , etc , set during the TNG Era , perhaps ! It could show their lives in the Academy and flowing from there into their active services !

You had so many questions , it's not possible to reply to them all here ! Terrific Article addressing the Avenues that the Producers are probably looking into if a new Series was being considered !

All Trekkers Welcome !

jesseroberts29

Report this Oct. 16 2011, 9:58 pm

It would be amazing! I've been hoping for a new series since Enterprise went off the air. I think we should stay away from a lot of multiple episode stories a little more personally. I think that's what turned a lot of people off of Enterprise. I understand what they were trying to do with the Xindi ( I know it was a huge story to be told), I just prefer the roots of Star Trek. For non Trekkie's a lot of multiple episode stories I think can hurt. If they miss a week that could cause them to stop watching. I like the article a lot, thanks for sharing.

Vger23

Report this Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

OtakuJo

Report this Oct. 18 2011, 7:24 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Roboto

Report this Oct. 18 2011, 8:23 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Oct. 18 2011, 7:24 pm

>I'm with VGER on this one -- if the powers that be need to wait a while in order to come up with a sound idea, then let them wait a while. Too many times you see sequels and spin-offs rushed out in order to cash in on a growing (and impatient) fanbase.

>From a purely marketing standpoint, allowing the recent movie(s) to bring in more fans might not be a bad idea either.

Well said.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Oct. 20 2011, 11:13 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

>It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

>That being said, I'd rather have them take their time and do it right (right cast, right crew, right format, right time) than just get something on the air because "fans want it."

I agree I think with Enterprise they just wanted to cash in rather than take the time to do it right.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Ruliya

Report this Oct. 20 2011, 5:25 pm

Enterprise had the potential to be something great. As it was, it defied "traditional cannon" from pretty much it's first shots. Having Humans meet Klingons about 60 odd years early(in 2051 instead of 2210 - sorry if I'm a tad inaccurate here)

To the question at hand "should star trek come back to TV" ?

Well I'm not sure we can with the current cannon. I think with Nemesis and the books, and now Star Trek Online, it's taken that as far as it can go.

With JJ Abrams new movie, which lets face it has to be in an "alternate" universe, the whole look of the starship ineteriors is off, there's Aliens onboard before Spock (who as we all know was the first non human in starfleet). Which gives a whole fresh start for the whole Star Trek universe.

It's probably going to be via Movie format for the time being, but we could very well see a new series popping up.

Code 47

Report this Nov. 16 2011, 11:01 pm

For the last time... YES!

I have been waiting for one since they obliterated SGU.

wissa

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 7:21 am

star trek is at it's best on tv

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Treknoir

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 8:22 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Oct. 20 2011, 11:13 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

>It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

Exactly.

Treknoir

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 8:28 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Also, Spock was not the first non-human in Starfleet, he was the first Vulcan to enlist in Starfleet.

Spock was the first human/Vulcan hybrid in SF.

Treknoir

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 8:33 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

>It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

Truth. They need to really think this through and have a solid story to tell. I think VOY and ENT had a "make it up as they go along" plan in place. All of the series had weak points, but those two were the most uneven in quality.

ingrid_o_a

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 12:18 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

>It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

Exactly.

LtPondwater9

Report this Nov. 17 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 17 2011, 7:24 am

>It would only be "amazing" if it was done extremely well.

Yeah that.

The ducks fly at Midnight.