Captain Sulu/Excelsior TV series?

WarsTrek1993

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 8:30 pm

For my first actual topic on ST.com, I have to ask, is anyone on here in favor of a TV series on Sulu and the Excelsior? Personally I think he deserved his own series, and have been going on about this since first viewint TUC. True, there's plenty of good books on his captaincy, but a TV show would be a great experience.

The pilot episode could be a two-parter on how Sulu became captain (essentially, "Forged in Fire" live action style). And the following episodes would be the further adventures.

Anyone else support this?

SLagonia

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 8:39 pm

"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

WarsTrek1993

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 8:41 pm

Quote: SLagonia @ Oct. 10 2011, 8:39 pm

>I think this was a very popular concept before Enterprise, but at this point, it's far too late.  Takei is far too old to play the part now, and hiring a new actor would be a major insult.  We've also been tainted on the entire notion of a prequel, and frankly, we've seen the problems such a series presents, and it's just not going to work out.  This is the kind of plot great book series are made of, and it should stay there.

You have a valid point about George's age. The only way they could include him is if it were CGI-animated, and that, I wouldn't support. (It'd probably be geared towards kids then. Hell, look what happened when they tried that with Star Wars...)

heronymous

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 9:45 pm

Georgie 'Boy' Takei is a Grand Old Trekker , and I personally prayed from the late 80's that he would get a Spin-Off Series . but for All His Perseverance and Promotion , He was Ignored . And the same for Walter Koenig too ! Sadly , it's too late now ! I don't think John Cho has the same distinction , although he is quite a good actor . But there are currently some Japanese-American actors who look and sound almost identically to the Great Takei (Wink)!

All Trekkers Welcome !

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 11:23 pm

Too late.

I love George Takei, but he's about 400 years old, no one remembers Star Trek VI, and the Star Trek franchise isn't even based in that universe anymore.

DS9 GreenCruiser

Report this Oct. 11 2011, 5:37 pm

Anyone else support this?

He should  indeed have got his own series and he said and went to Paramount pleanty off times about it  but he was ignored . I think they made a big mistake as it would have been huge and would have made Star Trek even more popular . Maybe they were afraid that the Excelsier would become more popular rthan the Enterprise .

True indeed . Such a pity really as it would have been a great series and crew and the Japanese would have been crazy about it as well as all us other trkies all around the world . A big miss by Paramount I think .

Fire Disruptors

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Oct. 11 2011, 6:08 pm

I would have liked to see it but yes without George Takei it wouldn't be as great.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

heronymous

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 5:01 pm

In 1985 , George Takei committed to a Star Trek Fan Project in Ontario , Canada called 'Yorktown' . This was to be a 22 minute fan film , but was never completed . The project has been revived recently by the original fans . I have seen the early footage which was very degraded , but here are some newer links -

ps. I believe there is also a running Sulu/ Excelsior Project , but I haven't had time to look into it properly !

All Trekkers Welcome !

___Lucifer___

Report this Oct. 13 2011, 11:27 am

Yes, I've always advocated a captain Sulu series, but he's too old now. An animated series would still be an option, that would be very awesome. And no CGI characters, I want hand-drawn graphics, save the CGI for ships and battles.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Oct. 13 2011, 7:41 pm

Thankfully, we have books.  It would be nice if they expand that with Captain Sulu.

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 14 2011, 10:12 am

I like Takei as well. I met him once years ago and he was a very personable and friendly chap.

But Sulu was never going to be a Kirk 2.

I was always a little baffled myself as to how this all started. I guess some of it was based around wish-fulfillment from GT himself - but in truth the character was not really strong enough to carry a whole series - not in the lead.

If we were to entertain spin-off series from TOS - featuring TOS characters (a bit like Frasier following the far superior Cheers) - which in itself is an interesting idea, then the there are more obvious contenders than 'Han' Sulu:

How about McCoy? He could return to Earth and be the country doctor in a future Earth society, trying to bring good old fashioned medicine to an ultra-modern world. A bit like Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - but in reverse!

Or:

How about Spock? Returning to Vulcan to take up a significant cultural or academic role and allowing us to see Vulcanian society. Or maybe in his ambassadorial role - plenty of opportunities for intrigue etc. This was after all touched upon in his Vulcan/Romulan renion business in TNG etc.

Or:

How about Scott and Uhura? Possibly ending up together running a repair facility on some Starbase somewhere in the back of beyond?

And so on ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Hawklord

Report this Oct. 15 2011, 4:20 pm

'Any Trek, as long as it's good!' is my motto.

I agree, George is too old to do it. Another actor as Captain Sulu? Depends on who They'd get.

More books? Repeat Motto

guillermo.mejía

Report this Oct. 16 2011, 8:57 am

If only...

I belive that at this point a prequel can still be done in animated form (not necesarily in CGI) and done by a smaller, more commited group towards TOS. Braga and Coto had been spoiled by the fact that all they new how to do was TNG, and hence we got Ferengi and Borg who didn't say their name as a chep trick to preserve canon, by the loosests of definitions.

And GT is not old enough to SOUND like Sulu. He's an experianced voice actor who would no doubt embrace this project. Imagine the posiblities of guest stars like Tim Russ as young Tuvok or the return of the Enterprise B and Captain Harriman!

A Little Otter

Report this Oct. 16 2011, 4:22 pm

I just posted a link elsewhere to a blog that discusses the possibility of a new Trek series (http://filmverse.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/should-star-trek-return-to-tv/), though I don't think it addresses a Sulu show.  I personally would rather see the George Takei Sulu in a TV movie or mini-series, or else see a weekly anthology show where every episode touches upon a different aspect of the Trek universe.  The adventures of Captain Sulu could be shown periodically in that venue.

cowgirlcadet

Report this Jan. 03 2012, 7:41 am

CG animation is advanced enough these days it can make a person look totally real. Take Avatar, for instance. You could totally believe the Naa'vii were real, right? Well, almost. But you get the point, Right?