ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Where to start?

panagiotis13

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1

Report this Oct. 09 2011, 11:11 pm

Hi


I am new here, thinking of watching Star Trek series. I would like to begin with The Next Generation since the original series might be a bit to old for me!


So, starting with the Next generation would be ok to catch up? Are there any milestone episodes from the original series to watch, or movies?


Thanks

SLagonia

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 18170

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 10:46 am

The Original Series has actually held up quite well.  There are a few 60's era moments that will make you roll your eyes, but for the most part, the writing is very strong and I find it the most enjoyable series of the bunch.


If you are deadset on passing TOS and are just looking for some of the best episodes, City on The Edge of Forever and Balance of Terror are usually considered the two best episodes in the entire franchise (not just TOS), and episodes like The Menagerie and The Conscience of the King are unmissable.  Space Seed is also excellent, and is the lead-in to the movie Wrath of Khan, which was Trek's most popular and successful movie (and was really responsible for making it the juggernaut it is today).  Wrath of Khan is an absolute can't miss, as it still stand up today as one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time.


The strange thing about TOS as it relates to TNG is that while TOS is timeless, the first two seasons of TNG are REALLY 80's.  This has the strange effect of making early TNG more dated than TOS, dispite coming twenty years later (though after that it gets really good), so don't knock TOS for being old.


"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 1:55 pm

Watch TOS - then the TOS films - then TNG - then the TNG films. Then stop.

janewayjunkie74656

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3227

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 10:31 pm

If you really don't watch TOS, then I might reccomend that you start with watching the TOS movies at least. I think even for TNG you need just a little bit of TOS background, but you can kinda cheat.  But instead of starting with The Motion Picutre, maybe starting with The Wrath of Khan might benefit you more. Just suggestions tho.


Join Moon Crater Plaza! A great new board looking for lots of new members! http://s4.zetaboards.com/Moon_Crater_Plaza/index/

nkwilson1515

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 10:44 pm



panagiotis13, I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago and wanted to ask the same question. I'm about 15 episodes into TOS and really enjoying it but want to see some of the more recent series'. So to those of you that know, would it kill me to start watching Enterprise or another series simultaneously? 


Thanks,


Nick



janewayjunkie74656

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3227

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 10:55 pm

Quote: nkwilson1515 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:44 pm

>

>

>panagiotis13, I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago and wanted to ask the same question. I'm about 15 episodes into TOS and really enjoying it but want to see some of the more recent series'. So to those of you that know, would it kill me to start watching Enterprise or another series simultaneously? 

>Thanks,

>Nick

>


Hmmm.... I don't konw if I were skip that far ahead... err... behind.. or something. Enterprise confuses me.


So in my opinion, I would watch in order or you might get confuzzled... but you can do whatever. You'll probably end up in the same place in the end, so just do whatever you think.


Join Moon Crater Plaza! A great new board looking for lots of new members! http://s4.zetaboards.com/Moon_Crater_Plaza/index/

nkwilson1515

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 11:05 pm

Quote: janewayjunkie74656 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:55 pm

Quote: nkwilson1515 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:44 pm

>

>

>

>panagiotis13, I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago and wanted to ask the same question. I'm about 15 episodes into TOS and really enjoying it but want to see some of the more recent series'. So to those of you that know, would it kill me to start watching Enterprise or another series simultaneously? 

>Thanks,

>Nick

>

Hmmm.... I don't konw if I were skip that far ahead... err... behind.. or something. Enterprise confuses me.

So in my opinion, I would watch in order or you might get confuzzled... but you can do whatever. You'll probably end up in the same place in the end, so just do whatever you think.


 


The more i keep reading and see what people are saying about skipping any part of TOS the less im considering watching them out of order. thank you for the advice! im going to stick with TOS all the way through before moving on. 


 


N.Wilson

janewayjunkie74656

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3227

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 11:12 pm

Quote: nkwilson1515 @ Oct. 10 2011, 11:05 pm

Quote: janewayjunkie74656 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:55 pm

Quote: nkwilson1515 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:44 pm

>

>

>

>

>panagiotis13, I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago and wanted to ask the same question. I'm about 15 episodes into TOS and really enjoying it but want to see some of the more recent series'. So to those of you that know, would it kill me to start watching Enterprise or another series simultaneously? 

>Thanks,

>Nick

>

Hmmm.... I don't konw if I were skip that far ahead... err... behind.. or something. Enterprise confuses me.

So in my opinion, I would watch in order or you might get confuzzled... but you can do whatever. You'll probably end up in the same place in the end, so just do whatever you think.

 

The more i keep reading and see what people are saying about skipping any part of TOS the less im considering watching them out of order. thank you for the advice! im going to stick with TOS all the way through before moving on. 

 


No problem.


Join Moon Crater Plaza! A great new board looking for lots of new members! http://s4.zetaboards.com/Moon_Crater_Plaza/index/

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 34248

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 11:31 pm

I would recommend the following...


1- TOS (TAS is worth watching after this too)


2- TMP


3- TWOK


4- TSFS


5- TVH


6- TUC


7- TNG


8- GEN


9- DS9 up to "For the Uniform"


10- FC


11- DS9 from "In Purgatory's Shadow" to the end of the series


 


Then stop, and watch the 2009 Star Trek movie.

Caesar753

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 578

Report this Oct. 11 2011, 6:40 pm

Quote: janewayjunkie74656 @ Oct. 10 2011, 10:31 pm

>

>If you really don't watch TOS, then I might reccomend that you start with watching the TOS movies at least. I think even for TNG you need just a little bit of TOS background, but you can kinda cheat.  But instead of starting with The Motion Picutre, maybe starting with The Wrath of Khan might benefit you more. Just suggestions tho.

>


 


I agree.  A lot of TOS hasn't held up well and is honestly worth skipping.  Starting at TNG might not be best either.  I recomend that you do some research and watch the handful of really quality TOS episodes.  TMP is worth watching, but if you're new to trek, it's not the most exciting place to start.  Watch Star Trek II, III, IV and VI, then move on to TNG and go from there.  Enjoy!

megan512

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1324

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 2:29 pm

I wouldn't skip TOS. I started watching TOS last year, and it is still my favorite series by far. Don't worry about it being too old for you. I love it, and I'm a teen. But if you do want to skip it, there are episodes like "The City on the Edge of Forever," "Space Seed," and "The Balance of Terror" that are really good and you should definitely watch before delving into any of the other series.


"Captain, life is not a dream." - Spock "Can you please continue the petty bickering? I find it quite intriguing." - Data

Zorf24

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 429

Report this Oct. 13 2011, 5:59 am

i'm not the biggest TOS girl, but like these guys have said, don't miss Balance or City, they're amazing.

Reedworftripparis

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4163

Report this Oct. 14 2011, 12:10 pm

Start with TOS and then go from there. Once you have some general knowledge of the series, the rest will fall into place. TNG and DS9 are in the same time line so those you can flip flop back and forth. Voyager is too but they are in another quadrant so maybe watch those together. And I would watch Enterprise. When it first came out I was not a fan, now it is  my second favorite to TNG. The movies, you can watch in the order they were released. Enjoy it and there is no right or wrong way.


I watched TOS first because it was in syndication when I was a kid. Though I watched it when I was older, the summer TNG came out. Enjoy and have fun with it. 


"Reed Alert, that's not bad"...Malcolm Reed

Wingman_SRK

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16

Report this Oct. 15 2011, 3:12 am

I would definitely check out the TOS episodes that were mentioned as well as the movies based on TOS.


 


You can't just totally forget about TOS

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Oct. 15 2011, 4:08 am

Have you started yet then?


And did you start at the beginning? Which after all is usually the best place ...


Start with The Cage and then move through TOS and TNG and then the others if you really want.


But the best sequence is Pike -> Kirk -> Picard etc.


to boldy go where no man has gone before

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum