Who were the best "caretakers" of Star Trek?

Created by: drellan

drellan

Report this Oct. 08 2011, 12:27 pm

Berman.  Yes, Star Trek began to fade out towards the end under him...but it was also at its height under him - the market just became a bit over saturated towards the end.

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Oct. 08 2011, 10:43 pm

Ira Stephen Behr, Michael Piller and Ronald Moore

May God Save The King

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 09 2011, 2:45 am

Roddenberry and the original cast and crew.

AtoZ2

Report this Oct. 09 2011, 8:02 pm

For the movies: Roddenberry even thou he had limited control, so it would mostly be Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer, followed by JJ Abrams.

But Abrams would need to have a few more Treks under his belt before that assessment can be made.

It's clear that Rick Berman was nothing more then a studio tool...a fall guy. He added nothing new or important.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 11:45 am

Gene of course. After his death Trek has been drifting further and further into a Star Wars type show. Don't get me wrong I liked DS9 and I don't mind action and the new movie wasn't bad and to quote Picard, "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?" I think it is why I liked Voyager better than DS9 because aside from a few Borg episodes it was more about discovering new things. And yes I know there have always been some sort of action/adventure in Trek but they just seem to rely on it more now than actual story telling.

I know this has nothing to do with the shows but it is why I don't really read much of the new books either they mostly seem to be about some giant new threat to the galaxy, and that is lazy writing.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Oct. 10 2011, 10:42 pm

I voted Roddenberry.... because that's where it all started.

And definitely not JJ Abrams.

Vger23

Report this Oct. 11 2011, 6:35 am

None of the choices.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Caesar753

Report this Oct. 11 2011, 7:08 pm

Rick Berman and co., hands down!

picard_2305

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 12:52 am

A lot of great Star Trek was produced under Rick Berman's watch and a lot of great writers such as Ron Moore, Ira Behr, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga etc did great work. And Next Gen is my favouurite.

I love Gene Roddenberry equally, however I feel Bob Justman and Gene L. Coon should be included with Gene as Bob helped run the show and Gene L. Coon created a lot of the elements that became iconic, such as the Klingons.

Gene Roddenberry and Rick Berman are the true 'caretakers' of Trek. Berman although he was there too long had worked with Gene so knew his ideals and I think he worked hard to maintain those ideals.

JJ Abrams, although he made a good movie, did not make Star Trek the way I like it and turned it a away a little from the ideals and dumbed it down a little. It still had the spirit but it was for a new audience.

Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

picard_2305

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 3:19 am

Vger

I agree that a lot of the best talent of Trek came under Berman's watch.

We had great writers such as ira Behr (the unsung hero of DS9), Ron D Moore, and Brannon Braga wrote a lot of high concept ideas I loved, Michael Piller.

In a poll I just created, I voted for Gene Roddenberry for the most important and influential era of Trek as TOS set the match. But a lot of my favourite Trek episodes would be in Berman years, especilally late Next Gen and DS9.

But I do think a lot of the success of TOS is owed to Gene L. Coon and Bob Justman as well.

Who am I to argue with the captain of the Enterprise?

rocketscientist

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 8:22 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Oct. 11 2011, 6:35 am

>None of the choices.

>Gene Roddenberry was the creator of TOS and TNG, but had very little to do with fostering, nurturing, or maintaining the series. In fact, his involvement in TOS dwindled to near-nothing by mid-season 2. He was largely done with TNG by season 3.

>Berman and company have longevity on their side, and they definitely kept Trek running, but it was a steady decline after TNG went off the air. DS9 was awesome, but it was managed by off-shoots of Berman's original team.

>JJ Abrams and company can't possibly be considered "caretakers" because they've produced one (albeit very good) movie up to this point.

>I'm going to say that Nick Meyer, Harve Bennett, and Leonard Nimoy were the best "caretakers" of the Star Trek franchise. Without Star Treks II-IV there would never have been a TNG, and without TNG, the franchise would NEVER have continued on like it did. Those three men improved upon Roddenberry's original vision without watering it down or turning it into something pedestrian and average. They also recovered from the relative disappointment of TMP (which I liked, by the way) and created a franchise of highly successful and entertaining movies.

I agree with V'Ger here.  Without the Meyer, Bennett, and Nimoy run of TOS films, there would've been no TNG, DS9, VOY, etc.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 1:07 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Rodenberry and the original TOS team. You know Gene L Coon, Dorothy Fontana, Marc Daniels, Joe Pevney, Bob Justman etc. There seemed to be a lot of integrity there, epecially in Season 1-2 TOS

Special thanks should also go to Herb Solow. This guy totally supported Roddenbery's vision from the word go. He became VP in charge of TV productions at Desilu. He was crucial in giving it life and helping it last as long as it did.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

2takesfrakes

Report this Oct. 12 2011, 2:50 pm

Rick Berman and Gene Roddenberry gave us TNG, the very BEST of TREK!
... and I LOVE it! Praise You, Jesus, for teaming those guys up ... really ...!

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 14 2011, 10:26 am

Yeh, let's not forget Jesus!

He must have been in there somewhere ... Jesus Tiberius Christ (possibly)?

to boldy go where no man has gone before