Which is the uglier new Enterprise?

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 2:37 pm

After years of Starfleet design evolution, the new movies and Star Trek Online have decided on radical new directions. I'm not a fan. Are you?

Here are some pictures to help:

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 2:44 pm

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 2:57 pm

But what is your opinion on the STO 1701-Fail, Ghostmojo?

SLagonia

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 3:39 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Oct. 06 2011, 2:44 pm

>The 2009 version of the Enterprise was not evolution - it was an abortion. There is no need to tinker with a fabulous design. The TOS version was great and they should have used that - without any of the tinkering that added nothing and actually spoiled the original vision of the great Matt Jeffries.

Agreed.  They took a design that still looks futuristic today and replaced it with one that looks like it was designed in The 60's.

"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 3:58 pm

I still love the comment that they made the Abramsprise bridge looks like an Apple Store.  STO has done a terrible job designing bridges and rendering classic ones with the 1701 bridge the only one they did right.  I shutter thinking of how they will fail with the Odyssey class bridge.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 4:11 pm

LOL, I voted that they are equally hideous... while that's not entirely true. The ST 2009 one isn't THAT bad... I just like the 1701-D best. Who doesn't, anyways?

DS9 GreenCruiser

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 4:33 pm

I think the Enterprise-F is more hideous but then maybe Starfleet need there ship to look more ugly in that time to try and frighten and scare some off there enemys off lol .

I don,t think the Abramverse Enterprise is that bad except for the necelles at the front and the way they join the secondery hull it looks like a duck or chickens rear end lol it should have been stretched more and the necelle pylons ended before the secondery hull ended would have looked better .

Fire Disruptors

Caesar753

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 5:39 pm

I actually like the 2009 Enterprise a lot, at least from the outside.  Not a big fan of that Enterprise F though.  I guess it's not that bad, but I really dislke the two pylons that connect the saucer to the engineering hull.  I don't know who designed the F, but it reminds me of the Aventine.

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 8:32 pm

The twin necks are my chief dislike of the Fail but it looks bad at several angles, especially the side. I find it completely terrible. I like the Aventine but understand why you wouldn't, but it shares NOTHING in common with this.

I hate the Abramsprise but it does have potential with some minor changes.

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Oct. 06 2011, 10:22 pm

That ENT-F is awful.

It looks like a Sovereign class banged an Intrepid class and nine months later, out came the ENT-F

May God Save The King

Mitchz95

Report this Oct. 07 2011, 8:36 am

Am I the only person here who likes the Enterprise-F? It looks like a smoother version of the Sovereign, which is one of my favorite 24th-century designs.

As for the reboot 1701, now that is a hideous design! The exterior looks like a hot rod, especially the nacelles; the interior looks like an old factory; and the weapons belong in a Star Wars movie.

To quote Korax: "It should be hauled away as garbage!"

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 07 2011, 10:15 am

It evolved to look little like the fan effort to look worse in my opinion. Besides, if you look at the fan efforts, there were many that looked far better. This one was far from being among the highest rated.

It is also NOT an improvement to the sovereign to me. The Odyssey is bulgy in odd places and lacks the flowing profile lines that Eaves' design did. The profile also looks unbalanced. And still, no one can make sense of 2 necks for me.

Ghostmojo

Report this Oct. 07 2011, 10:36 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Oct. 06 2011, 2:57 pm

>But what is your opinion on the STO 1701-Fail, Ghostmojo?

I didn't see your pictures first time around Matt. The second larger ship F looks mightily impressive but I'm not sure if I like it or not to be honest. It's like a Sovereign/Constitution/Galaxy/Voyager hybrid. It certainly has impact and looks like it means business - but it isn't beautiful. Mind you neither was the imbalanced Picard's TNG D ship.

The 2009 film ship looks like somebody stuck cheap torches on for nacelles.

The two most beautiful ships were the TOS version and the 1979 TMP refit which was stunning.

Agreed about the Apple Store comments about the 2009 film ship bridge in particular. Mind you in light of recent events I'd like to say the sadly demised Mr. Jobs could have made a much better job of it had they come to him ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Matthias Russell

Report this Oct. 07 2011, 11:04 am

I agree that the simple beauty of the Connie is what made it revolutionary and timeless. Simple flowing lines are best. Have you seen the STO Excalibur class? It is a late 24th century Constellation-like design and one of the few STO originals I REALLY like, chiefly because they kept it simple and tried to stick with known and liked design elements.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Oct. 07 2011, 11:15 am

I don't think they should have screwed around with the outside of the original.

As for the the F - overall, I think it's okay, but there's just something a little off when you look at it from the front.

Users browsing this forum: Commander_Zelkar, darmokattanagra, Commander_Zelkar