What would you say the top 10 episodes AND top 10 Seasons of Star Trek are?

Sora

Report this Sep. 21 2011, 9:41 am

What would you consider the top 10 episodes out of all the episodes of the franchise? Now I think this will most likely be slightly different from the usual poll or topic thread. I haven't really seen one of this magnitude before, so I decided I'd try it and see how it works out.

Now you have 715 episodes to choose from. I've actually ripped the entire franchise into my iTunes library to put on my ipod, so that's how I know it's 715. This is counting every series, Animated and all. Do remember that this is also counting Pilots and finale's and what not as one episode and not two.

Counting TAS there's also 30 seasons of Star Trek total. So I'm asking for everyone to think about those 30 seasons, and to choose 10 of them as what you would consider to be the best of Star Trek.

For top 10 episodes I'll say,

1. Far Beyond The Stars from DS9's 6th season

2. Year of Hell 1 & 2 from Voyager's 4th season

3. Dark Frontier from Voyager's 5th season

4. Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges from DS9's 7th season

5. The Siege of AR-558 from DS9's 7th season

6. Home from Enterprise's 4th Season

7. These Are The Voyages from Enterprise's 4th Season (I realize this isn't a popular episode, but I love it for some reason.

8. What you Leave Behind from DS9's 7th season

9. Flesh and Blood from Voyager's 7th Season

10. Regeneration from Enterprise's 2nd Season

I could go on and on but I'm limiting myself to only 10 episodes.

Now for top seasons

10. Enterprise Season 3

Dralek

Report this Sep. 21 2011, 11:03 am

Sora

Report this Sep. 21 2011, 12:41 pm

Quote: Dralek @ Sep. 21 2011, 11:03 am

>I'll need some time to answer this one.  I've got so many favorites.  I mean, there are favorite action episodes, favorite humorous ones, etc.  It is hard to draw up ten without careful consideration.

Understandable, it took me some time as well to come up with mine. I just had the idea come to me and it sounded really awesome, and seemed a little more unique than one of the generic "Rank your favorite series" threads.

I'm hoping I get a good bit of people participating, personally i'm very interested to see what everyone comes up with.

Live Long and Prosper

Sora

Report this Sep. 21 2011, 7:56 pm

This is also your personal opinions, not what would be considered best of the franchise, but what you like best in the franchise.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 12:52 am

BUT I shall try to list some episodes that I find particularly good.

Starting with favourite from each series, that I remember:

DS9 "Inquisition"

TNG "Data's Day"

VOY "Real Life" (I think it's called... The one with the EMH's family.)

ENT "Doctor's Orders"

Haven't seen enough of TOS to pick, and never saw TAS.

Some other stand-outs:

A Night in Sickbay
Stigma
Terra Nova

One
Jetrel
Raven (i think)

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Sora

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 8:08 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Sep. 22 2011, 12:52 am

>I can't really answer the "best season" question because each one I've watched has its goodies and baddies.

>BUT I shall try to list some episodes that I find particularly good.

>Starting with favourite from each series, that I remember:

>DS9 "Inquisition"

>TNG "Data's Day"

>VOY "Real Life" (I think it's called... The one with the EMH's family.)

>ENT "Doctor's Orders"

>Haven't seen enough of TOS to pick, and never saw TAS.

>Some other stand-outs:

A Night in Sickbay
Stigma
Terra Nova

>One
Jetrel
Raven (i think)

>Which of these end up in my top ten (or if there's another one I suddenly think of)... depends on my mood. Sorry I couldn't think of many for Voyager it's just that I haven't seen Voy. in quite some time.

That's why I added the top 10 seasons as well as episodes. It's not based on what season was good or bad, but what seasons each person personally enjoyed the most.

Live Long and Prosper

rocketscientist

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 8:25 am

These are hard questions.  I'm going to have to thing about it.

So, 10 best seasons of the franchise:

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 8:28 am

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 8:52 am

Quote: Sora @ Sep. 22 2011, 8:08 am

>Not a problem on Voyager. This isn't one of those things where you have to pick something from every series. This is just asking what do YOU like? What do YOU get the most out of from the franchise and what parts are they?

More that I suspect (or recall that there might be other Voyager episodes on the list. I just can't remember what they are at this point because my memory is quite fuzzy on that series.

OH! The one with Neelix and the Great Forest or whatever it was -- that was also a great episode.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Sora

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 10:50 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Sep. 22 2011, 8:52 am

Quote: Sora @ Sep. 22 2011, 8:08 am

I want to say the episode that you're thinking of is Mortal Coil, but I might be wrong. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Live Long and Prosper

Sora

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 11:03 am

Quote: rocketscientist @ Sep. 22 2011, 8:25 am

>These are hard questions.  I'm going to have to thing about it.

>I'd definitely put down TOS seasons 1 and 2, and DS9, seasons 3-7 down as best seasons.  The rest I'd pull from TOS season 3 and TNG seasons 3-6.  Season 7 of TNG was good but not as good as seasons 3-6 of TNG in terms of content.  Actually, seasons 3 of TOS is great, but, since it has the most duds, it's kind of like season 7 of TNG.  Ok, if I excluded season 7 of TNG based on that criteria, I guess I might have to exclude season 3 of TOS.

>So, 10 best seasons of the franchise:

>Seasons 1 and 2 of TOS, seasons 3, 4, and 6 of TNG, and seasons 3-7 of DS9.  That could change for me, slightly, based on reconsideration, but there it is for now.

>Also, I think it should be noted that it wouldn't suprise me if there are just more episodes of TNG and DS9 on these lists than TOS, since there are far fewer episodes of TOS to begin with.  TOS is a classic, but it only had 3 seasons and only 1 two-part episode.  Those are handicaps.

>VOY had some great episodes in seasons 4-7, but they made so many poor decisions with that show in terms of story telling, bland characters, etc., that I just can't group it among the franchise's best.  It was ultimately TNG all over again, but not as good.  It definitely wasn't original at all.

But you are right about TNG and DS9, and even VOY and ENT. Because TOS is the shortest series, the other series have more of an advantage. But the purpose of this isn't for one series to defeat another, it's just simply discovering what you personally enjoyed the most. Your top 10 episodes can be all TOS if you want. If those are the 10 episodes from the whole franchise you enjoy the most than who's to say that's wrong?

Voyager had some good things for it. Something I heard someone say the other day, that Voyager is the best series because it's just like TOS.

That's not true at all. It's like they think because Voyager is exploring unknown space that makes it like TOS.

TOS was about exploring the unknown, Voyager was about trying to get home. Voyager exploring the unknown was just a bonus.

If they wanted to make Voyager like TOS than Starfleet should've put Voyager in the Delta Quadrent on purpose to explore it and report back to them. That would've made it more like TOS.

But Voyager I think is very enjoyable, but it's not like TOS.

Live Long and Prosper

Sora

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 11:06 am

Quote: rocketscientist @ Sep. 22 2011, 8:28 am

>In terms of what I liked the most of the franchise, I'd put TOS seasons 1-3 and DS9 seasons 3-7 and two seasons of TNG seasons 3-7.  I'd have to think about which two in that group were the best.

>For me, like former VOY producer Bryan Fuller (and probably Ron Moore too) it goes, TOS > Ds9 > TNG > VOY > ENT, although I haven't seen enough of ENT to judge if it was better than VOY or not.  I might very well find it better in that regard.

You really should give Enterprise a try. It doesn't have to be your favorite or anything, but I think you'd find it's better than you think. I used to hate Enterprise, and then once I watched it I loved it. Some people are bored with Season 1, but I think if you watched all 4 seasons you'd find something good in it. Enterprise is better than Voyager, I will say that.

Live Long and Prosper

rocketscientist

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 11:58 am

Quote: Sora @ Sep. 22 2011, 11:03 am

>Definitely feel free to list any series or season that you enjoy. All views and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

>I must say though, Season 3 of TOS is really good. The first time I watched Season 3 I kind of expected it to suck because I'd heard Season 3 was really bad, but I really loved it. I liked it better than Season 2 overall. The only episode out of Season 3 I just seriously didn't care much for was "And The Children Shall Lead" I think I watched the clock that whole episode waiting for it to over lol But all the other episodes from that season are good. I like Spock's Brain. I think it's hilarious.

I agree, Season 3 is great.  It's TOS, so it has to be.

I think it's unfair how some fans view it.  It was the Fred Feinberger (I hope I got that name right) season of the show, and people blame him for not keeping up the standard that GR and Gene Coon set for the show.  It's not all his fault.  DC Fontana was gone, so you lost a very talented writer and script editor, so there were more weak scripts in this season.  Also, the budget was reduced by NBC.  That said, within those constraints, most of the episodes are great.

I agree with you wrt And the Children Shall Lead.  My criteria for episodes is whether I find them entertaining.  I found this one to be kind of weak in that regard.  I was a bit bored too.  I also didn't care for The Lights of Zetar and season 1's The Alternative Factor.  I'm lukewarm on Season 2's The Apple as well.

I guess I am one of the few TOSers that loves Spock's Brain, so I agree with you there.  It's so far-out, it's hilarious, with a remote-control Spock and a bunch of dumb bimbos living in luxery with big guys as their slaves thanks to electronic dog collars (around their guts, but still).  I love that episode for the sheer scale of its plot and the sheer ineptitude of how it turned out.  It's one of those cases, I think, where it looked good on paper.

Oh, I'm aware of that.

The modern ST shows had significant advantags over TOS in terms of production.  They had (adjusting for inflation) more production money to work with and better sfx due to better technology.  They could depict more and better space battles, anomalies, scientific experiments, diseases, etc., than TOS could.  I really think that gave them the capability of telling bigger and more varied stories than TOS could.  This is something Nimoy has discussed before.  He said that TOS's limitations on budget and sfx in comparison to the modern shows directly influenced its storytelling.  TOS was driven more by the inter-character drama, had more brawls and stunts, was just a more physical and less cerebral show because it had to be because of its budget and more primitive sfx.  It's extremely different due to the time it was made compared to its spin-offs and that really makes it unique.  It's probably its greatest strength.

I don't think I'd make them all TOS.  I'd try to be as objective as possible.  For example, I'd put TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds" on that list because it just blew me away.  I remember seeing TFF in a theater that same year and comparing it to TBBW.  TBBW just blew TFF away and it was on TV and not a feature film.  It made TFF look that much worse.

I'd put "All Good Things" on that list too.  Great finale for TNG.  Also some DS9 episodes.  The hard thing there is figuring out which ones were the best.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

dario_ares

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 1:37 pm

My...

...Top 10 Episodes of DS9:

01. What you leave behind II (Season 7)
02. What you leave behind I (Season 7)
03. Emissary II (Season 1)
04. Emissary I (Season 1)
05. Empok Nor (Season 5)
06. The House of Quark (Season 3)
07. Time's Orphan (Season 6)
08. Let he who is without sin... (Season 5)
09. Crossover (Season 2)
10. Homefront (Season 4)

...Top 10 Episodes of VOY:

01. Scorpion II (Season 4)
02. Scorpion I (Season 3)
03. Cold Fire (Season 2)
04. Tsunkatse (Season 6)
05. Timeless (Season 5)
06. Imperfection (Season 7)
07. The 37's (Season 2 - btw... R.I.P. David Graf)
08. Drone (Season 5)
09. The Void (Season 7)
10. Persistance of Vision (Season 2)

...Top 10 Episodes of TNG:

01. Descent II (Season 7)
02. Descent I (Season 6)
03. The Battle (Season 1)
04. The Royale (Season 2)
05. Identity Crisis (Season 4)
06. Genesis (Season 7)
07. Data Lore (Season 1)
08. Brothers (Season 4)
09. I, Borg (Season 5)
10. The Offspring (Season 3)

Six of Nine

Report this Sep. 22 2011, 2:05 pm

I cant decide on episodes, my top couple are

"The Galileo Seven"

"All Good Things"

"Year of Hell 1&2"

"The Killing Game"

" Storm Front 1 & 2"

" Best of Both World"

" Tapestry"

" The Seige of AR-558"

" Trials and Tribble-ations"

" The Trouble with the Tribbles"

" Call to arms"

" Who Mourns for Morn"

" The Magnificent Ferengi"

" Valiant"