What is the difference between the trekkies of old and the new trekkies.

KLINGONDOG

Report this Sep. 18 2011, 3:10 pm

I think all Trekies start out more fantasy oriented. Then later in life some

Trekies mature and and follow their dreams by working in the above mentioned fields.

grhyno

Report this Sep. 18 2011, 3:43 pm

Its a cultural/generational thing as well.  In the 70s and 80s Americans were more tuned into hard science and the space age was still very real.  It was still very important to stay ahead in a two-super power dominated world.  Younger fans grew up in a post-cold war world.

Star Trek has transcended the cultural shift, but I think more people will agree that the application of wealth in our society shifted from exploration in space and technology for the future and became concentrated on making the world better where we are now.

With the fall of the Soviet Union, space and nuclear dominance was no longer the driving factor in our industrial and military systems.  The focus has been much more socio-economical and political in the last 20 years.

Young people just aren't learning the sciences like they used to and the new trekkies aren't as informed.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 18 2011, 4:56 pm

The Cold War didn't end that long ago though.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Doctor_Bashir

Report this Sep. 26 2011, 11:59 pm

Ayko

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 6:08 am

Quote: Doctor_Bashir @ Sep. 26 2011, 11:59 pm

>Do not joke,but i young trekkie,because i begun watch Star Trek only in october 2005 year.Me like watch programm about technology and space.

Either your mother tongue is not English or you are pissed drunk, or both...

I always like a challenging challenge.

tribblenator999

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 6:21 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Sep. 18 2011, 4:56 pm

>The Cold War didn't end that long ago though.

>I used to think there was a clear line between "Fantasy" and "Sci-fi". Now I no longer believe that there is. So the phrase "more fantasy oriented" doesn't really mean that much.

the cold war ended in 1991. that's 20 years ago. that's a long time. that's a whole generation basically.

"take us out"...

Doctor_Bashir

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 9:29 am

Quote: Ayko @ Sep. 27 2011, 6:08 am

Quote: Doctor_Bashir @ Sep. 26 2011, 11:59 pm

Either your mother tongue is not English or you are pissed drunk, or both...

You right,my native language is Russian.write on english i bad,but understud on hear series Star Trek.Watch very many on DVD. You do not know,what in Russia too have trekkie?

live long and prosper.

Ghostmojo

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 9:39 am

Quote: grhyno @ Sep. 18 2011, 3:43 pm

>Its a cultural/generational thing as well.  In the 70s and 80s Americans were more tuned into hard science and the space age was still very real ...

Which also applied to the many non-American Trek fans like me. I think TOS shot around the world as a cultural phenomenon (and not just in the English speaking world - I also saw it once in Germany (in German)).

I'd be surprised if any of the spin-off shows had nearly the same effect (outside the States) ...

There are people of a certain age (myself included) who for a long time (and I still do this on occasion) when entering a lift/elevator would say to whoever happened to be around the single word "bridge". This always raised a smile because most people understood the reference. That is how significant TOS was. Add to that a million and one "beam me up Scotty" jokes and I think the situation is obvious.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

grhyno

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 5:50 pm

That's an excellent point, I now realize that there is a broad base of perspectives I completely ignore.  This may be one area where the perspective is similar, but I would guess that most non-American fans have a different perspective on Star Trek.

OtakuJo

Report this Sep. 27 2011, 11:52 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I always was under the impression that Sci-Fi was different from science fiction. I consider Trek to be science fiction not sci-fi. Is that incorrect?

>I also see Sci-Fi as being fantasy. Thats what it seems to be.

I tend to see whatever difference there is between Fantasy and Sci Fi / Science Fiction as a continuum rather than a sharp division.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Users browsing this forum: TheDriver, EDisConstant