Trek novels and e-readers

Caesar753

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 6:19 pm

I just got a Nook and love it.  The B&N store seems to have just about every Star Trek novel, so I'll be busy for a while.    Anyone else have an e-reader or have any thoughts on e-books?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 9:33 pm

I'd like to move to an e-reader, but would really like an industry standard for the format - so that when technology changes or when a vendor goes away, we can upgrade/convert the e-book and not have to buy it again.

megan512

Report this Sep. 18 2011, 9:04 am

I have a Kindle and I love it! It's so convenient and I can go about a month without charging it (if WiFi is turned off). I've bought a few of the Star Trek novels for my Kindle, and so far I've been happy!

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 18 2011, 1:19 pm

My phone came with a Kindle installed and it is all I use for reading novels. There are several trek books including some SCE and the upcoming Typhon Pact novel which are only available electronically.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Sep. 19 2011, 2:00 am

I like the idea of having my vast book collection in one small device but I'm also still so attatched to having an actual paper printed book too. Oh what to do?

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 19 2011, 1:56 pm

It's more trekkie to use an e reader. It is like using a PADD.

That's right, Apple. Trek did it before you. Your patent is ridiculous.

usslancelot

Report this Sep. 23 2011, 1:17 pm

Caesar753

Report this Sep. 23 2011, 7:13 pm

Quote: usslancelot @ Sep. 23 2011, 1:17 pm

>I never thought I would buy an ereader -- I always thought I'd miss holding an actual book. I bought a B&N Nook Simple Touch when they debuted in June, and after reading on it for about ten minutes I realized I'll probably never read a paper book again. The Nook has totally converted me to ereading.

>In terms of Trek lit, over the years I had accumulated 584 Trek e-books (I'm a voracious completist when it comes to collecting), most of them in .lit format. I transferred all of them to epub's and now have a virtually complete Trek lit library on one tiny little device. Interestingly, I also have all of those novels in actual paper book form (like I said, I'm voracious when it comes to collecting). The paper books have their own bookcase in my house, and a rather large one at that. When I look at my tiny Nook and then at the ginormous bookshelf and realize that everything on that bookshelf is sitting on a 2GB micro-SD card with room to spare, it's actually pretty amazing to think about. I don't think I've ever spent $140 so wisely as I did when I bought my Nook.

I feel exactly the same way.  I got the Nook Simple Touch too and love it.  I'll never buy a paperback again.

Six of Nine

Report this Sep. 23 2011, 7:37 pm

I want to get a kindle, havent decided. Is it good?

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

Caesar753

Report this Sep. 24 2011, 5:44 pm

Quote: Six of Nine @ Sep. 23 2011, 7:37 pm

>I want to get a kindle, havent decided. Is it good?

A friend of mine has the Kindle 3 and loves it.  I prefer the Nook for various reasons, but they're both comparable machines and well worth it.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 25 2011, 1:55 pm

Vulcan1981

Report this Dec. 30 2011, 1:34 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 25 2011, 1:55 pm

>Though i only use my e reader now, I will buy the Destiny rerelease when they release it as a single bound.  Certain books are so great you want them clasical paper style.  I actually wish they still published some hardbound.  Some books like Destiny and Department of Temporal Investigations are so great, they deserve to be hardbound for preservation and collectors.  I also think if a book is hardbound, it shows the publishers have great faith in its marketability.

I have the nook simple touch and love it. If I love a book enough though, just like you, I'll get the printed edition too. Sometimes, you just like to have the feel of the actual book in your hands. I donated many of my books to the library and the goodwill when I got my nook, but kept some of my favorites like ST VOY: Mosaic (the book every Janeway fan should own) and Ender's Game. (Why yes, I do read stuff other than Trek...lol).

It does upset me that many ebooks are the same price (and some because of the back room politics cost more) than the printed editions, which is obsurd. Books for atleast the last decade have been required by most publishers to be submitted in pdf or doc format anyway. You can't honestly tell me it costs more to produce an ebook than a printed one. You think they'd keep the prices  of them lower since it's saving them printing costs and usually encourages more sales. I'm not saying make a new release 99 cents, but the ebook should always be atleast 10% cheaper than the printed edition. There's a difference between simply gaining a profit and profiteering...for shame publishers, even a Ferengi would be appalled.

"Comforting words. Use them next time instead of "resistance is futile". You may elicit a few volunteers."- Seven of Nine

Users browsing this forum: Commander_Zelkar