Star Trek Online becoming Free to Play on 2011

Delfrod

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 10:25 am

I guess it's finally time for me to try STO.

S'haile Veir

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 11:42 am

The articles mentions  Champions.  I wonder if it'll be like Champions where you buy nothing but certain content has to be bought or Guild Wars where you buy the game and then it's unlimited F2P.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 12:12 pm

I'm not sure if this is going to happen. If they make it free to play, they kinda owe a lot of people who bought lifetime subscriptions refunds. If I had paid for one, I'd be mad.

Delfrod

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 12:50 pm

It has to. Internets never lies.

Well, running a MMORPG is not free so they propably won't give access to full content without charge. For example, in LOTRO F2P you cannot get any quests in some areas.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 2:36 pm

Yeah, I just verified this on trek today. They say they are releasing a free to play "version", so we'll have to wait and find out what that means.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 3:23 pm

No doubt that will mean you'll pay for access to more items, ships, and so on rather than just create them at Memory Alpha. At least that seems like the logical choice to me.

Jameswashere

Report this Sep. 03 2011, 3:38 am

All you have to do is look at the champions online Free to play model.

When i read the article of STO website i got the impression that they are going to do something a long those lines.

Trust me, you won't be getting a refund for you life subs. Instead you'll most likely be a permanent vip and get a certain amount of points each month to spend in the C-store.

But crew, please don't go the way the STO forum did on this topic. Loads of people wanting refunds for their life subs, then loads of people saying what i just have.

Delfrod

Report this Sep. 06 2011, 11:39 am

Internets did not lie to us. I hope it comes soon.

j3067

Report this Sep. 09 2011, 1:46 pm

I purchased a lifetime sub before launch and I still don't regret it.  The break even point between lifetime and subs was a few months ago.  Plus I get Gold Membership at no cost and I get points for the shop every month which I did not spend a dime on previously.  I'm pretty happy all in all.

Users browsing this forum: wissa