Is it my imagination, or did TNG end hanging.

Crystalline Entity

Report this Aug. 30 2011, 2:16 pm

Ok....so this is my first post on this board with some questions.

I have always understood the lead in from the original series to TNG. I have watched ever episode of TNG, but never in the order intended. Last month, when NETFLIX loaded the TNG series, I made it a goal to watch, beginning to end the TNG story. I started with the series and then watched Generations, First Contact, Insurection and then Nemisis.

I have watched DS9, but again never in the order intended. Am I right to assume that the missing pieces to the TNG story are in DS9. Like;

Why did Worf leave the Enterprise to serve on DS9, and why did he and Troi decide not to continue their budding relationship that begain at the end of the series? (one is which they never touched on that at all during the subsequent 4 movies after the series)

And in Nemisis, Janeway was an Admiral, so am I also to assume that there is information requarding the Enterprises journies and interactions in Voyager as well?

I am now watching DS9 in the order intended with Amazon. I find it to be "soapy", almost on the side of Boring. I tried to get into Voyager, but that really didn't jive with me either.

So when I watched the last part of Nemises, it felt really rushed. Like there was no showing of Riker getting the promotion and offer for a new ship. There was no information on Troi's continued direction. Did Worf stay on the Enterprise and who now is left on the ship. To me it is almost intentive on that they were going to do another movie to retire the others and hand the ship over to a whole different crew kind of like the way that they retired the original crew and brought them back as visitors and the killing of Kirk.

But, I will say that when Data put the single use transmitting "beamer" on Picard before the the explosion on the clone's station, I cried. I just couldn't believe that they would end this with killing Data off. Or at least, if they do make another movie to close this portion of the Trek ...they find him in peices in space ad they are able to put him back together.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 31 2011, 8:04 am

That was kind of the point. STVI ended making it clear their voyages were over. The franchise wanted to let you know the voyages of TNG weren't over. The "TNG Relaunch" novels have done a great job continuing those voyages.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 31 2011, 9:51 am

Worf didn't really leave the Enterprise for DS9. The Enterprise D had recently been destroyed in "Generations", and in "The Way of the Warrior" Sisko mentioned Worf being on extended leave, an implication of the Enterprise's destruction. Worf came to DS9 because of political complications with the Klingon Empire. Presumably, the Enterprise E launched some time after Worf's posting to DS9.

As for Worf and Troi, the studio didn't like the pairing and the writers were told to drop it for the movies. I was happy to let their relationship go, though TNG gradually built a foundation for the relationship and it served as an excellent plot device in "All Good Things". I much preferred Riker and Troi.

Voyager makes a few references to TOS, TNG, and DS9, but mostly to reinforce continuity. Janeway's inclusion in Nemesis is just a cameo and an easter egg to the fans. Prior to Nemesis, Picard and Janeway were never shown to have interacted.

Nemesis had its problems, though one didn't need to see Riker promoted or be offered a ship, because that had already been shown in TNG. Troi and Riker were getting married, so she no doubt followed him to the Titan. I assume Worf stayed on the Enterprise. While not canon, a deleted scene established Worf was unhappy to be the Federation Ambassador to Kronos. A deleted scene would've also shown Geordi and Worf to remain aboard the Enterprise while Crusher went off to take charge of Starfleet Medical. That's ultimately why I'm not crazy about Nemesis. It split up the family

Crystalline Entity

Report this Aug. 31 2011, 11:43 am

Thanks for the information. I am on season 5 right now of DS9 and I am starting to get the whole picture. I just can't get why they had Laxwana have another baby...rediculas.

The problem with books carring on the story...is that when you put a movie or show together now it makes it impossible to really put a movie now together with the TNG crew because not all has read the books and those that have would want to movie to co-inside with the books, making it that more confusing for the fan base.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 31 2011, 12:23 pm

Quote: Crystalline Entity @ Aug. 31 2011, 11:43 am

>In Nemisis issue... I looked up all of the scenes that you brought up on You Tube. It would have been better to include those and cut the digital shock and awe battle scenes.

>I also watched an interview with Patrick Stewart and he claims that Nemisis closed out the TNG chapter, but with the scene of B4, it also leaves it wide open for a sequal. I doubt that we will see a big screne movie, but I wonder if we will see a TNG before the series that is in the planning stages is developed.

Glad you watched those scenes on youtube, and I concur they'd have been better left than the long battle sequence.

I remember post Insurrection interviews where Patrick Stewart was routing for a follow up focusing on Picard going back to the Federation and confronting the corruption that permitted Admiral Dougherty to violate the Prime Directive. That premise seemed more dramatic than Nemesis and I really liked the idea of a TNG trilogy.

Crystalline Entity

Report this Aug. 31 2011, 2:32 pm

They could have shaved 5 mins of screne time by getting rid of the the Indiana Jones/Star wars desert scene and find B4 the Star Trek way....but the "Chicken" Scene running the Ent E into the other ship was awsome.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 6:56 am

Those deleted scenes would have made a major difference to the movie.

I never understood why Worf left Quonos (Kronos LOL!). He had a new klingon family where he was finally accepted with his people while serving the federation. He really brought nothing to Nemesis anyways.

I don't have a problem with them breaking up the family. Riker was offered a command before he accepted the first officer post on the D. These are career minded people who want to move on to new challenges. The shock is that they stayed together so long.

I agree it wasn't the closing chapter it was meant to be. The end lacked the emotion that STVI had in its final moments (and the cool space signatures). If Spiner wanted out for good and they wanted the emotional grip of losing a main character, then having B4 defeated that purpose.

The novels work well. Worf is first officer. Picard and Crusher got married so she rejoined the crew. Laforge joined the Challenger, but then returned. And there are many new interesting characters, my favorite being T' Ryssa Chen, a half human/vulcan who prefers her human side. She is the antithesis of Spock, which is an interesting concept.

Crystalline Entity

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 7:52 am

Can you give me a link to a listing of these novels in order?

Crystalline Entity

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 7:52 am

Can you give me a link to a listing of these novels in order?

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 11:12 am

Not now, using my phone. Go to the star trek literature wiki, memory beta, and search for "TNG Relaunch."

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 11:13 am

The books will be in order there. The out of print ones will have summaries and you can read about the new crewmen.

lostshaker

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 2:13 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 01 2011, 6:56 am

>Riker was offered a command before he accepted the first officer post on the D. These are career minded people who want to move on to new challenges. The shock is that they stayed together so long.

I disagree on this particular note. These characters were happy with their lives aboard the Enterprise. Riker was waiting for command of the Enterprise. It was subtext, though even directly stated on one occasion. To leave the Enterprise for the Titan... unless the Titan is a Galaxy Class Ship, then I can understand his motivation. But I know some novels depict the Titan as a completely new class. Overall, Nemesis seemed lazy with the characters and the writer looked to Wrath of Khan too much.

TrekFan1964

Report this Nov. 04 2011, 4:59 pm

Nemesis was a rehash of too many plots from TNG (meeting B4 another android, cloning of Picard by the Romulans, and the rift).  I think the writer could have done something better than what appeared on screen, though the franchise bosses wanted another ST film that would roll off the TNG crew. I think the writers forgot that Spock was still on Romulus and there were too many holes in the strory that were just patched together quickly.

OtakuJo

Report this Nov. 05 2011, 3:46 pm

Some, possibly.

Because 'shipping them in the first place was Stupid.

I don't entirely understand where the perceived discrepancy is here -- Voyager was over (ie they were home) before Nemesis.

So that Michael Dorn could have another gig on Star Trek of course!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?