Should religion spam and troll threads (when an existing thread is already open that's suitable) be banned ?

Created by: darth-spock

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 26 2011, 9:22 pm

I agree in principle, but how would you curtail it -- or objectively separate the genuine threads from the spam/troll ones?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Lt_Sears

Report this Aug. 26 2011, 11:12 pm

If this were the case, then this thread would be banned.  I always heard that

there were 2 things you didn't discusss in public (should be in forums as well)religion and politics. Either way it's a no win. Besides isn't that why we have the words Report this in the

upper right hand corner?  You don't have to respond to the post either.

"Second star to the right and straight on til morning" James T. KIrk Undiscovered country

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 26 2011, 11:57 pm

Quote: Lt_Sears @ Aug. 26 2011, 11:12 pm

>You don't have to respond to the post either.

...Or even click on the thread.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

wissa

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 7:49 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>IMO most of the religion thread on 10F are spam and meant to troll the board.

>Whereas I agree there is a place for religious discussion on 10F, flooding the board with spam threads about religion turns a lot of people off and this practice should be curtailed (add the new religious stuff to an existing religion orientated thread instead).

given the number of replies these threads get there are obviously people who enjoy discussing these topics.  Including yourself who have participated heavily in them.  Unfortunately you can't make the board your private playground where topics are dropped when you get tired of them.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

stephen.kane

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 10:08 am

Interesting.  This is my first day here on the boards and I was about to post (in a different thread) a query regarding whether or not religious arguments are the norm here (as they do seem plentiful.)  Then I saw this thread.

I enjoy debate and discussion as long as they are met with open minds but I have little patience for arrogant proselytizing.  I don't believe in censorship, but I would question the intent of anyone coming to a board like this purely to self promote their world view to the exclusion of all others.  Seems out of place given the tenets and philosophies Gene Roddenberry explored in his art doesn't it?

OK you crazy space kids, here's looking at you!

commander_phoenix202

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 10:29 am

I vote yes, because i'm getting tired of all these god-themed forums. This is a Star Trek site, not a Religion site!

Tilek svi'khaf-spol t'vathu - tilek svi'sha'veh. (The spear in the other's heart is the spear in your own)

Roboto

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 12:39 pm

I have no problem with people making political and religious threads, as long as they stay in Ten Forward. I enjoy a good debate/discussion but around here it almost always seems to turn into a heated argument with namecalling and all. I do not think that political and religious threads should be banned, but I do not think that a person should be making five, ten, twenty threads when they deal with a similar subject. That can all fall under one topic.

As for trolling threads... there is no question.

Lt_Sears

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 26 2011, 11:57 pm

Quote: Lt_Sears @ Aug. 26 2011, 11:12 pm

>You don't have to respond to the post either.

...Or even click on the thread.

I believe I said that. it wasn't meant to be sarcastic.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 6:33 pm

Quote: Lt_Sears @ Aug. 27 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 26 2011, 11:57 pm

Quote: Lt_Sears @ Aug. 26 2011, 11:12 pm

>You don't have to respond to the post either.

...Or even click on the thread.

I believe I said that. it wasn't meant to be sarcastic.

All good.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

wissa

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 6:34 pm

the religious topics kind of ebb and flow.  They will be all over the place then die down.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 6:35 pm

Quote: wissa @ Aug. 27 2011, 7:49 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>IMO most of the religion thread on 10F are spam and meant to troll the board.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Roboto

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 7:41 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 27 2011, 6:35 pm

>I think the problem is being not that they exist, as they are interesting topics, and clearly some people enjoy discussing them, but that there are so many very similar ones. But again I would ask in that case, how would Admin distinguish clearly which are genuinely inviting discussion, and which are just baiting and spamming?

It is a very thin line. I think that is probably why the ADMIN haven't touched the issue with a ten foot pole., as they do with most other issues.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 27 2011, 8:21 pm

Quote: Roboto @ Aug. 27 2011, 7:41 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 27 2011, 6:35 pm

Agreed. There is yet to be any kind of objective means to tell.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Aleron

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 1:09 am

Forgive me, I'm a little confused on this topic.

lligevets

Report this Sep. 01 2011, 1:02 pm

Quote: Aleron @ Sep. 01 2011, 1:09 am

>Forgive me, I'm a little confused on this topic.

>So people are posting religious topics and this is a discussion over if those topics should be banned?

>I haven't been on the boards hardly at all since the old online staff was fired, and have decided to come back and join the fun again.  But so much has changed and not as fun to be honest.

Then please stick around and add some fun