What Star Trek novels should I read and start with?

urrutiap

Report this Aug. 21 2011, 8:18 am

What Star Trek novels should I go start with and reading? Whenever I go to Waldenbooks at the mall I always so ee that Cast No Shadow novel that has Spock and the return of that Vulcan gal from Star Trek VI.

Its' been a long long time since I've read a Star Trek novel

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 21 2011, 12:19 pm

Blackbird223

Report this Aug. 21 2011, 6:13 pm

If you can find a book that has the stories of episodes in it, that's always a good start. Thats what I started with. Then it all depends on which Captain you want. If you don't know much about ENT, then DON'T start with Kobyashi Maru. Again, if you don't know much about TNG, then DON'T start with All Good Things.... However, if you do know about TOS (and like Spock), read Crucible: Spock. These are suggestions, and I know they are kind of random, but I hope they help.

If someone stands in the way of true justice, you simply walk up behind them, and stab them in the heart. -Rha's al Ghul

urrutiap

Report this Aug. 21 2011, 9:05 pm

Well the characters or specific era of Star Trek that I am into are Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and the old Kirk and gang not the newest recent Star Trek movie.

Last time I read a Star Trek novel was the Next Generation novel Grounded way back in the mid 1990s

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 22 2011, 7:08 am

Well, then I would recommend any of the TOS titles out since they are largely stand alone novels. The Titan books, too are largely stand alone and can be jumped into easily. Most tng and ds9 novels now build on one another and would require you to find a few older books to catch up.

If I could recommend a single current book, it would be "Indisputable from Magic". You can jump right in, it centers around tng characters (plus Scotty) and has ties to many tng episodes, and is both dynamic and thoughtful.

Reanok

Report this Aug. 22 2011, 9:40 am

I like Indistiguishable Magic and the Myriad Universe Novels and The Mirror Universe books and the Ds9 book Trilogy by James Swallow.Also Mere Anarchy is well written if your  afan of Tos books Enterprise Novels like The Good that Men do ,Kobayashi maru and Romulan war Novel Beneath the rapotors wings are well written.The Romulan war To Brave the storm comes out in October.

urrutiap

Report this Aug. 22 2011, 12:32 pm

ANyone remember that name of the Star Trek Next Generation novel that took place right after the Generations movie?

the Novel involed Picard getting the Enterprise E for the first time before First Contant. But some other Starfleet person runs off with the Enterprise E

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 22 2011, 6:39 pm

Ship of the Line by Diane Carey. A personal favorite.

TheDriver

Report this Nov. 28 2011, 11:29 pm

Best Destiny by Diane Carey (Kirk's origin story)

Final Reflection by John M. Ford (life as a TOS-era Klingon)

Both are EXCELLENT.

"Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast."

OtakuJo

Report this Dec. 01 2011, 4:12 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Aug. 21 2011, 12:19 pm

>It depends on what series you like and don't like. Generally, I tell people who haven't read any to start with the Destiny trilogy as a good jumping in point. If you have favored characters or just like the trek universe, I can give direction, but first tell me what you are interested in.

I wouldn't start with Destiny. It might be too confusing for a first time reader.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 02 2011, 9:12 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Dec. 01 2011, 4:12 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Aug. 21 2011, 12:19 pm

Not really. I knew almost nothing of any of the relaunch tittles of DS9, TNG or Voyager when I first picked up Destiny and found everything easy to grasp, as long as you understnd all tree shows, plus some Enterprise.

Personally I'd recommened the first Vanguard, the subsequent books, Ex Machina (which i just finished), Full Circle, and DTI: Watching the Clock.

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 02 2011, 10:34 am

Agreed. Destiny started my relaunch reading. I just needed to know what happened to Janeway. Afterwards I read Before Dishonor and the Titan series. I think if you don't want to do a bunch of back reading, Destiny is the single best place to jump in.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Dec. 02 2011, 11:20 pm

Same goes for Vanguard. No back reading needed.

Ionduck

Report this Feb. 09 2012, 2:29 pm

Start with the first New Frontier and just keep on going.

cowgirlcadet

Report this Mar. 09 2012, 3:17 pm

You might read The Romulan Way. You know how in the end of TOS "Balance of Terror", the Romulan commander tells Kirk how if things were different they could have been friends? The events that happen in this book kind of demonstrate how right he was.