Did you approve of Troi's having to wear a uniform?

Created by: Delphine

Delphine

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 1:22 pm

In the episode "Chain of Command", Captain Picard's replacement ordered Deanna to wear a uniform. Although he was not the nicest of persons, I completely agreed with his decision. As ship's counselor and a member of starfleet, I do not believe that she should have been able to walk around in civilian clothing. What do you think?

Roboto

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 2:20 pm

I liked seeing Deanna in a uniform because he gave her a more professional look. I cannot say, though, that I dislike her wearing civvies. She's a counselor, not really an officer (I know, she takes her exams later on, but still). I think that her relaxed attire makes her seem more approachable in her profession and not so militaristic.

mewmewrocks1

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 3:24 pm

I like her in a uniform. It might be because I just like uniforms...

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 4:13 pm

I think there are times that a uniform can get in the way of a counselor's duties because it's a constant reminder to the patient of the person is in Starfleet and could screw around with their careers.  The civilian clothes gave her a more cordial/friendly appearance.

chr33355

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 6:52 pm

Bah she is an officer and it si part of her job to where the stupid uniform cuz the higher ups says so.

Caesar753

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

Roboto

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

>I understand that her casual attire made her seem more 'approachable,' but Troi was a Starfleet officer serving on a starship and should have been in uniform.  Crusher and the rest of the medical staff wore uniforms, so why not Troi?

Because they are medical officers, not counselors. That's my opinion, anyway. I gotta go with BamBam on this one!

guillermo.mejía

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 8:23 pm

I agree that just because she was the ship's counselor, doesn't mean she could wear whatever she wanted. I opt to think personally that it was a relatively new position on starships and rules hadn't fully being set up for it.

On a personal level, she simply looks better with the uniform on rather than those silly jumpsuits.

chr33355

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 7:17 am

Quote: Roboto @ Aug. 19 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

In the US navy counselors have to wear uniforms.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 8:08 am

Those two unifroms are not the whole image. i was thinking this:

Delphine

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 9:26 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>so this

>or this

>It depends if you're asking the question from a starfleet protocol's perspective or a viewers perspective.

Actually, I was talking from a Starfleet protocol's perspective, but the viewer's perspective will definitely be a part of the discussion.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 10:57 am

Quote: Roboto @ Aug. 19 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

And sadly, if you've ever been in the military, the way medical people wear their uniforms (generally) is quite sad.  You could almost always pick them out a mile away.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 10:58 am

Quote: chr33355 @ Aug. 20 2011, 7:17 am

Quote: Roboto @ Aug. 19 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

In the US navy counselors have to wear uniforms.

True for all armed forces.  And usually people only go to them when they're forced to by their CO.

mewmewrocks1

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 2:14 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 20 2011, 10:58 am

Quote: chr33355 @ Aug. 20 2011, 7:17 am

Quote: Roboto @ Aug. 19 2011, 7:30 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Aug. 19 2011, 6:53 pm

In the US navy counselors have to wear uniforms.

She is technically in the medical field. She even said so in the episode "Haven".

"Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity do yickity da ping pong lippy tappy too tah." -10th Doctor

charmingred

Report this Aug. 20 2011, 3:25 pm

"I was thrilled when I got my regulation Star Fleet uniform, or the regulation space suit, as we call it. First of all, it covered up my cleavage and, consequently, I got all my brains back, because when you have a cleavage you can't have brains in Hollywood. So I got all my brains back and I was allowed to do things that I hadn't been allowed to do for five or six years. I went on away teams, I was in charge of staff, I had my pips back, I had phasers, I had all the equipment again, and it was fabulous. I was absolutely thrilled. "

- Sirtis interview w/BBC

I have to agree with her.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam