Which captain best understood/interpreted the Prime Directive?

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 5:43 pm

Note:  This is NOT a vote for your favorite captain poll.

The Prime Directive, also known as Starfleet General Order 1, is one of Starfleet's most important binding principles about noninterference in another culture's internal affairs, natural development and progression. The Prime Directive forbids Starfleet officers from interfering with the social order of any planet. (TNG: "Half a Life") Violation of the Prime Directive is generally considered a court martial offense followed by severe punishment unless sufficient justification can be made for the violation. Even though there have been incidents where Starfleet personnel have decided on strong ethical grounds to ignore the Prime Directive, on the whole it is believed to do a lot more good than harm. (TNG: "Justice", VOY: "Prime Factors")

"The Prime Directive is not just a set of rules; it is a philosophy... and a very correct one. History has proven again and again that whenever mankind interferes with a less developed civilization, no matter how well intentioned that interference may be, the results are invariably disastrous."- Captain Picard

Caesar753

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 5:52 pm

I think all of the captains understood the Prime Directive well and tried to live by it.  I also believe that all the captains realized that there are exceptions to every rule and that blindly following the PD was not always the best option.  I'd have to do a little digging to come up with some examples, but I think it's safe to say that all the captains always had the PD in the back of their minds, but also used their own judgement to find solutions to the problems they came across.

Treknoir

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 7:38 pm

Let me preface my opinion by stating that I find the PD to be utter BS. Having said that, I think Picard tried the hardest to adhere to the PD. He was, IMO, the most "by the book" captain, which I saw as a huge flaw.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 7:39 pm

I think some of Archer's actions/mistakes were the reason why the Prime Directive was created.

I also think Janeway especially applied it or ignored it whenever it suited her personal goal.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 7:51 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Aug. 17 2011, 7:38 pm

I don't think that it is a bad policy but I do think it is contradictory. What makes sense is not interfering with a culture's affairs until they have achieved warp travel. What is BS is how sometimes they acted like it still applied to cultures who were already extra-solar. Once a society is on the galactic stage, to not interfere would mean having a completely closed society yourself. If the federation does not involve itself in other society's internal affairs ever, how did they justify getting involved in the klingon civil war, unimatrix zero, or bajor?

Treknoir

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 8:20 pm

I find it elitist at best and morally repugnant at worst. I do understand the need to avoid becoming the galactic police and/or big brother. However, I think it is moral duty to act when able (qualifier) and not only when it is politically advantageous or amongst technological peers.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 9:38 pm

I really like the idea of the Prime Directive - we can see in this world how so many major mistakes are made nowadays when government try to influence another society.

Although Sisko is my favorite captain, I think that Picard upheld the Prime Directive more as it was closer to his heart than anyone else and kept it in mind with his decision making.

charmingred

Report this Aug. 17 2011, 10:54 pm

If you listen to how all the captains talk it feels as if Picard mentions the PD at least once an episode if not more while the other captains are more ruled by their feelings or concerns about other's perception.

Sisko didn't stand a chance being on the edge of a wormhole, and constantly confronted with unknown variables perminately within his own station, let alone just a starship created 'close knit community.' Being in that type of situation, on a fixed station, doesn't really allow him to use the PD as often as one on a starship going from place to place. They were too interwined with the one planet/area.

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 18 2011, 6:52 am

Picard may have said "Prime Directive" more and loved it as an intellectual, but I think Kirk understood what it really was about. Kirk realized the Prime Directive was no more a rule or law than the Golden Rule, that it was actually a principle or value.

If a society had already been contaminated, Picard would not act, not wanting to break the directive himself but Kirk would act feeling that he needed to undo the damage already done and restore the society to its precontaminated state as much as possible.

Archer felt it was always his job to jump into alien matters he stumbled upon. Sisko is an odd situation because it seems to me the ufp had no right to interfere with bajor because of the prime directive but the cardassians had put bajor on the galactic scene. I feel Janeway could interpret the directive to suit her purpose rather than let it mold her.

lostshaker

Report this Aug. 18 2011, 7:24 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Aug. 18 2011, 6:52 am

>Picard may have said "Prime Directive" more and loved it as an intellectual, but I think Kirk understood what it really was about.

Not in "The Apple".

poundpuppy29

Report this Aug. 18 2011, 8:06 am

Picard definatly

photo STcomfinalIRRH2.jpg poundpuppy29 AKA Erika My Fav Scifi /Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, My Franchises, My Fav Ships, My Fav Characters & My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom

wissa

Report this Aug. 18 2011, 9:46 am

Quote: poundpuppy29 @ Aug. 18 2011, 8:06 am

>Picard definatly

^that.

check your profile pound puppy

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 18 2011, 11:56 am

Quote: lostshaker @ Aug. 18 2011, 7:24 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Aug. 18 2011, 6:52 am

Not in "The Apple".

Especially in "The Apple". That machine was not natural, nor built by the people there. It was external and inhibiting their individual and social growth. By destroying it, Kirk restored the people to their natural state where they could then begin evolving again. He followed the prime directive through his actions because he undid the damage. He followed the principle by not being tied down by a law; inaction would have been contrary to the philosophy behind the prime directive.

XENOEN

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 12:15 am

Although all the captins did follow the prime directive, I believe Capt. Janeway followed it the most closely. This is one of the reasons her crew was stranded in the delta quadrant. As for the others, I don't know if they would have made the same desison if put in the same situation. PLUS, even as Voyager was on the long trip home, the prime directive was always followed with extream care. This is one of the things that I admired about Capt. Janeway, she never faltered even when it could have meant getting her ship and crew back to earth years earlier. Picard would be a close second in my book.

" Sure you won't change your mind?" "Is there something wrong with the one I have?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Aug. 19 2011, 8:16 am

What about unimatrix zero, scorpion, or giving holo technology to the hirogen? In each of these cases she interfered in non federation matters. In scorpion, she put herself in the middle of a war that wasn't her's for expectancy and made a new enemy for the federation in the process. In homestead, she wasn't going to help the talaxians because it would have violated the prime directive, but changed her mind when neelix got involved.

Janeway didn't respect the principle too much, and would compromise when needed to avoid confrontation, gain an ally, or to shorten her journey.