Which series had the best 1st season?

Created by: janewayjunkie74656

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Aug. 13 2011, 10:10 am

I though Voyager's first season wasn't that bad. I mean, first seasons are always a rocky start for the series, but which one was the best?

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Aug. 13 2011, 10:26 am

Yeah, TOS was my second choice. They had some great episodes in that first season.

LieutenantCommanderData62

Report this Aug. 13 2011, 12:32 pm

I can never go against TNG (= but I reallly liked Voyager (watching it now)

"I do not believe it is justified to sacrifice one life-form for another."-Data

Blinkn

Report this Aug. 13 2011, 2:44 pm

Voyager... fit. Who the characters were and what they were about was there right from the beginning and only small kinks, silly stuff like getting the pips right needed doing.

DS9 is next for me, becuase even though alot of people don't seem to like the early days of DS9 I think once they figured out how to tell exciting stories for a station rather than a starship the show out did the others.

I kinda... hated TNG's first season but mostly because... I hated the look of the uniforms, characterization, and that the crew's function wasn't clearly defined. Picard wasn't too sympathetic, Troi didn't really do anything and Worf did too much to not be anybody important, they clearly realized Geordi was misplaced, I hated Yar, and Wesley was used like Will Robinson on Lost in Space. He was too cute, too smart, and he was trotted out to do "kid" things, like have a crush and drop the dangerous thing that adults have to fix.

The only characters that I did like from the start were Riker and Crusher, they were fine from start to finish. I love love love the show after season 3.

TOS, it was the 60s so I don't take it seriously. I have a nostalgic fondness for it as the start of Trek but I didn't take a real shine to them until the movies.

ENT, it was polished and I love the pilot for the most part but it didn't really feel like it was going anywhere. I really hated the Vulcans. I was upset that they perhaps in an effort to harken back to the original series and the golden trio vibe they made the Asian and black crewmen underused secondary characters. It was like we did the black dude and chick captains lets go back to the way things belong. Plus Anthony Montgomery was nice to look at but he wasn't that impressive of an actor.

Jim Kirk

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 3:32 am

IMHO, I list them down like so:

TOS - It launched the whole thing and drew us all in.

Voyager - 2 Hour Premier, Maquis/Federation alliance, instant enemy (Kazon), and so far from home.  It drew you in the first hour.

Enterprise - Right from the begining it shows earth's first encounter with Klingons, then with each passing epsiode you hear signs of the fedeartion's birth.  Great first season and great series.

TNG - Was good, but I was a little disappointed with the whole thing, my first impresions were: the ship is to big, Tasha Yar (I dont know something about the charactrer turned me off), why do we need a counselor (did star fleet turn into a bunch of wimps?), liked Picard, loved Worf & Data.  Like I said first impresions  I later fell in love with the series as we all did.

DS9 - I barely made it through the first epsiode.  At this point I dont know why I didnt like it and I will try it again.  The amount of people that swear by this series is insanely large so I have to be missing something.

Kang - "Only a fool fights in a burning house"

Delphine

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 11:26 am

1. TOS: The Cage is a great episode and, being The Original Series, it wins my vote.

2. VOY: The Caretaker was actually a good episode. it set the premise very well.

3. TNG: Thought it was OK. I couldn't understand why Troi was crying half the time and Q was kind of annoying.

4. DS9: Thank God the series got better, coz the first episode wasn't great.

I haven't watched much of ENT, so I don't know which episode is first.

captain saavik

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 11:29 am

I would have chosen VOY but their 1st season was the weakest of all Trek series although to me it is tied with TNG and TOS for it's ending season and show.

TX_TREKKER

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 11:41 am

TNG....it was a breath of fresh air being the first series to be released since TOS.

wissa

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 12:57 pm

TOS's first season was revolutionary.  Can't beat that.

as to modern treks I'd have to go with enterprise.  I think it was strongest out of the gate.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Kesfan74656

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 7:41 pm

In order, for me,have to go with TOS, as eps like ''Arena'', ''Balance of Terror'', and ''Corbomite Maneuver'', ''City...'', ''Charlie X'', and ''Errand of Mercy'' among others are favorites of mine. But, being the big Voyager fan(and prejudiced, lol, preferer shocker of the first three seaons for a certain reason-not that subsequent good eps were not to come, mind you-''Caretaker'' launched, and pulled me along into a longstanding love of Kath and co....and a certain Ocampa in particular, whom I am grateful was created.  At a brief glance,I think that ''Jetrel'' is a good general st episode, as well, and ''Phage'' both had that wonderful, passionate scene with Janeway and the two Vidiians in the transporter room, and Kes' strong devotion to and love for-yes, I know, many still don't get it-for Neelix. I happened to, still do. As another of my three top st series, Enterprise became that from the get-go as did Voyager. I also feel that TNG had some fine episodes in S1, as for DS9, off the cuff I'd have to think back a bit more. It was a new tack to take trek on, and I preferred the ship-based concepts, but, I was in there from the beginning.

''If I were captain, i'd open every crack in the universe, and peek inside, just like Captain Janeway does''-Kes, ''The Cloud''

greendaynumba1fan

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 8:32 pm

I went with TOS, but DS9 is a close close CLOSE second.

the bungalo bill

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 8:34 pm

DS9 for me.

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 14 2011, 10:28 pm

I also thought that Voyager's wasn't bad.

I will say DS9 for best, though, because although they hadn't come to the Dominion War and a lot of those epic storylines that made the series great, its first season was often fun to watch.

TNG for worst, because it felt patched together and easily dated.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

wissa

Report this Aug. 15 2011, 8:10 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I can't believe people voted for TNG unless they regard TNG as so much better than all the other Star Trek incarnations that even its rubbish first season was far superior to any other series.

>Now if you were comparing Seasons 3 though...

I know huh?  it's amazing it got a second season.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Vger23

Report this Aug. 15 2011, 10:05 am

Quote: wissa @ Aug. 15 2011, 8:10 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Now if you were comparing Seasons 3 though...

I know huh?  it's amazing it got a second season.

That's because this is another in a long line of polls where people don't answer the actual question. They answer based on which SERIES they like best, and allowed that loyalty bias to guide the answer.

TNG's first season was decent, but was weak compared to 3-6.

DS9's first season was really bad, but the series itself was one of the very best (I disagree with whoever said "The Emissary" was a bad pilot episode. I think it was the best.)

VOY's first season was horrible. I just got done watching it, and now I remember why I stopped watching the show altogether.

ENT's first season was OK, but disappointing.

The best 1st season ever was TOS. That season contained more classics than any of the others combined.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!