Which sereis looks the most dated

wissa

Report this Aug. 07 2011, 8:45 am

I suppose the obvious choice is tos but to me it doesn't look that dated because contemporary styles aren't really that prevalent.  People weren't really decorating their houses or dressing like the characters on star trek.  Except maybe for the mini dresses and go go boots.  For me tng is what makes me cringe the most.  Just the colour schemes are hard for me to look at sometimes because they look like every doctor's office in the 80's

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

OtakuJo

Report this Aug. 07 2011, 10:45 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Oct. 19 2011, 6:39 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 07 2011, 10:45 pm

>I'm going to go with a bit of a weird answer and say I think the early seasons of TNG are most "dated" today. Maybe a part of it is because I sort of expect a '60s show would look as the originals do. To me, 1960s style is more recognisably different than '80s. So TNG comes across as odd... And the first few stories were not very good either, which doesn't help a whole lot.

I agree early TNG looks the most dated especially when you count the remastered TOS.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

SLagonia

Report this Oct. 20 2011, 10:17 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Oct. 19 2011, 6:39 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Aug. 07 2011, 10:45 pm

I'm going to throw my own support behind TNG for this title, at least early on.  A lot of TOS is dated, but it was all ahead of its time.  TNG didn't shoot nearly far enough.

"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

Ruliya

Report this Oct. 20 2011, 5:31 pm

Sadly it's the Early TNG. I sat and watched all the Q episodes and there was massive noticable differences between Encounter at Farpoint and All Good Things...

Still a great series though

OtakuJo

Report this Oct. 20 2011, 6:01 pm

Oh yes. It certainly -- Certainly -- got better!

The quality of All Good Things... If it had not been a part of the series, it could almost have been the first cinema-quality TNG movie.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

megan512

Report this Oct. 22 2011, 8:52 am

I'm going to have to say early TNG. I cringe when I watch those episodes. TOS, in my opinion, doesn't look dated. It's aged very well.

A Little Otter

Report this Oct. 24 2011, 2:43 pm

I'll go along with the first two seasons of TNG.  The directorial style was very old fashioned (except when Rob Bowman directed) using zooms and flat angles.  The Planet Hell soundstage sets were atrocious, also.  This was expected from a show made in the 60's, but not in the late 80's.  By the 3rd season, the show caught up with contemporary filmmaking styles and is still watchable from that standpoint.  The only element that makes the early episodes stand out is the music.  Some of the compositions are amazing and are feature-film quality.  As the series progressed, the music became generic.

Orion X

Report this Oct. 25 2011, 1:48 pm

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and agree that seasons 1 & 2 of TNG have aged the worst. Mainly because it's true.

Pure strobolin.

Treknoir

Report this Oct. 26 2011, 11:30 am

Yeah, hopping on the wagon with everyone else. TNG's first couple of seasons.

Medic_1849

Report this Oct. 26 2011, 12:04 pm

Totally agree with TNG Season 1. I was watching it on TV the other day, and it was so bad (episode aside).

It took them a bit of time to get going, but the later seasons still show/age well.

___Lucifer___

Report this Oct. 29 2011, 11:00 am

TOS is obviously the most dated, from the set designs to the costumes, including the fabrics used. Velour?? LOL

The remastered episodes are a considerable improvement, because the FX, while state of the art back in the late 60's, are primitive even by 1980's standards.

The only part of TNG that is dated for me are the FX because the same special effects are seen in many shows of the time; I would love to see a remastered TNG and bring the visuals up to today's standards.