Who care's if it's "canon" ?

Created by: scopeguy

HaventGotALife

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:18 am

I want some continuity to the universe of Trek. The more continuity, the easier it is to get lost in this make-believe world. They cannot change the rules every other day and expect us to just live with it. So what was good in one movie has to be good in the rest. It isn't a rule as much as good for the entertainment.

Its stories are about the depth and complexity of human interaction and relationships. It studies us and asks us to look within ourselves, to relate, to ask how would we respond to all that is in their world?

Vger23

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:22 am

I could care less if something is canon or not. I don't need to feel like the Star Trek universe is "real" for me to enjoy it. I only need a fun, engaging story, great characters, and some cool visuals.

I've read plenty of books and comics that are "not canon" or conflict with the established universe, and I've enjoyed each and every one of them.

It's not real, it's never going to be real, and so I don't hold it accountable for being "real."

Pretty simple.

Treknoir

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:54 am

Canon isn't sacred or unbreakable, but I do think it gives the series consistency in the sense of what is the "official" story and what isn't. Even within canon there are contradictions and gaping holes.

All I want is to be is entertained at the end of the day. Canon generally isn't a factor in that equation.

Roboto

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 3:55 pm

It depends. I like "canon" as far as providing consistency and carrying the "feel" of the show, but like Vger23 says: I really only need a fun, engaging story, great character, cool visuals.

When I say "I like canon", that means that I will NOT read crazy stories with content like Data and Geordi being gay partners, or where the Enterprise can turn into the Magic School Bus. I want something that has the "feel" of the true Star Trek.

Canon going overboard: I really get annoyed when I see people leaving reviews on stories with garbage like "Your explanation of the plasma conduit hooking to the energizer booster bloopbladabloop was totally wrong; it's stated in episode ABC in season XYZ in scene 439495 that the plasma conduit. . ." Seriously, people. It's technobabble. As far as I am concerned, you cannot go wrong with technobabble. What the writer says, goes, so please do not play the canon card.

All in all, this is my opinion of canon: if it is a published novel, I expect there to be canon consistency with the films. If it is some fanfiction posted on FanFiction.net, I EXPECT to sometimes find something completely and totally different, maybe even off-canon, as long as it is done in fun and with respect for the characters and the show. But, come on, it's fanfiction. Fanfiction! DOH.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 4:08 pm

Canon it must be, for the most part.

I don't read that much fanfiction or novels. There's some crappy stuff out there, and some really good stuff that's non-canon. It just depends on what you get, I guess.

The problem is, I'm kind of contradicting myself because I write a lot of Trek fiction myself when I'm bored, and that's not canon.... so.... I guess I'm sort of indifferent.

Edit: That didn't make much sense. Whatever.

wissa

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 4:09 pm

I like some continuity.  But there is canon and then there is canon trivia.  There have been violations of canon right from the start and trek has continued.  It's when people start pointing fingers at some incarnation of trek like Enterprise or the latest movie screaming how it violated canon and isn't really trek that it gets annoying.  We all know every series and movie has some issues.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

megan512

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 4:53 pm

I do like canon, for the sake of continuity. It helps one suspend disbelief and really adds to the "realness" of Star Trek. I don't like it when people start pointing at something and going "THAT'S NOT CANON! [Insert Name Here] MUST DIE!" Come on, that's a bit overkill. Canon isn't everything. Seriously. The stories and characters are more important to me than getting every little single detail right. At that point, you're just limiting creativity. So canon's good, but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. It is a fictional universe, after all.

Roboto

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 5:19 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Gene Roddenberry didn't seem to consider canon all that important and took it on an episode-by-episode basis constantly changing his mind about something and rewritting the history of star trek as he saw fit.  Star Trek canon is so convoluted now that the canon has become very abstract term.

Excellent point.

luvy4532

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 5:29 pm

I like canon for continuity.  The facts are the facts.  Why did we come to love these characters, respect the Federation and understand why Spock, Kirk or Mc Coy reacted to situations in certain ways?  Yet, I was able to suspend this beliefe for the movie  JJ Abrams created because it was a good movie and I enjoyed it.  This is a contradiction for me.   I found it facinating to see how these characters turned out differently under different circumstances.  Spock accepting his half human side with no apologies,Sarek being more supportive,  Kirk being over rebelious without his father's influence, and then there was Mc Coy....  The same but with more umph...  A true friend to Kirk from the beginning.

live long and.....

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 6:06 pm

Canon must be established. It is as it must be.

That being said...I don't mind assuming some things are canon till proven otherwise, such as the Vanguard book series.

HaventGotALife

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 8:44 pm

You know, it wasn't until recently that I saw Man Trap and heard Spock say there was no moon. Then I see Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and there's two moons. That bothers me, but doesn't make me value TMP any more or less because of an establishment shot that shows two moons in the distant of the sky.

Most shows have bibles and they should be followed. It should matter to you that an event happens to one character and their reaction is different than another character on the show. That is good character development. It means you watch the show and know the characters if you complain about it. That's what makes it fun. Otherwise you would accept anything that was written and that would make for a bland Star Trek board, no?

As for the technobabble, unless they are talking about the bridge suddenly being next to the deflector array, I could care less. And the only reason I care isn't because I saw the tech manual, but because shots have established where the bridge is. To suddenly change it, would make no sense and show the show doesn't care about itself. There's caring about the show and getting lost in the details of the universe created. I didn't learn Klingon or where the Jeffries tubes are. I know what Jeffries tubes are on-sight, where the name came from, I know that the ones in the Hunted (the first episode) are larger then what we came to know, and so on. But who cares where they are on the Enterprise.

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:15 pm

Quote: wissa @ Jul. 26 2011, 4:09 pm

>I like some continuity.

That's basically where I stand on the issue of "Canon". I don't see that the whole Canon / Non-canon line should be drawn in stone like some quasi-religious sanctified border. But where continuity is, that just makes the series better.

At the same time, you can expect any future writers to have at least seen the core works (in Star Trek, this is the movies and series.) You cannot expect them to have read every book! But it's fiction, not history -- so each viewer is perfectly entitled to their individual viewpoint on what is "real" to them...

As far as whether STO is "Canon", for example... EEEEH... I don't care.

The way I see it, if I'm reading a book or watching an episode, for the time that I'm reading it, then it's as "real" to me as any other piece of fiction. All I ask is to be able to enjoy it.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:22 pm

canon provides continuity in the storyline.  If all the stories conflict, why would I watch?  How would I get to know who's who and where' they're from and what the can do?

commander_phoenix202

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:27 pm

I like things to be canon enough that it is believeable. As a fanfiction writer, I don't read crap like babyfics and stuff with stupid mary-sues. Like Wesley Crusher.

I could care less if someone says that The Doctor lost is Holo-emiter this way in episode QLJ when he actually was offline for most of the episode, or if DS9's 35 Holo-suites are located on decks 2, 8, and 20. If I know the actual story, then I know they're wrong. But I don't debate about it. I just don't want people claiming that stupid things are real when everyone obviously knows it's not true.

Tilek svi'khaf-spol t'vathu - tilek svi'sha'veh. (The spear in the other's heart is the spear in your own)

OtakuJo

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:29 pm

Quote: commander_phoenix202 @ Jul. 26 2011, 9:27 pm

>I mean really; who wants to read something about Jean-luc Picard having a baby with Commander Insertstupidnamehere in an alternate universe where he lives for 200 years magically as a statue and then is brought back to life by B-4 who then dies of rusting and is turned into a giant unicorn in wich Picard rides to the Enterprise-X and swims with a bunch of cute puppy dogs in sickbay's giant pool of whipped cream bla bla bla...

Whatever you're on -- I want some!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?