Worst TOS show in your opinion and why

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 21 2011, 9:14 am

Howdy, I've been watching TOS on Netflix instaview and have been enjoying it...for the most part.  It has always been interesting to me that the episodes seem very well made earlier on, and then by the end they seem more campy and cheesy.  I have always believed that season 3 was the weakest of the three seasons, and to the point, I think my least favorite episode comes from this season.

My choice is Plato's Stepchildren:  I don't know if I dislike this one the least because of the story, the cheesy controls that the Platonians used over Kirk and company, or just maybe that the story seemed so completely off what I consider Star Trek that it just didn't appeal to me.  Of course I know some people see this episode as a milestone because Kirk kissed Uhura but I sort of think that was something that was made a mountain from a mole hill.  To me it reminds me of someone over exaggerating an accomplishment made by someone of a minority.  (Best example I can give:  3 years ago an African American named Richard Lester drove in a NASCAR race, he was the first to do so in 30 years, he finished 31st, and they basically made it sound like he won, the reporters made it a huge deal and basically embarrassed him with their over exaggerations of his success.  As a result he didn't race again.)

There you go my choice.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jul. 21 2011, 9:58 am

I agree. That was the one I also picked when somebody started another similar thread recently. It was all a bit embarrasing really ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Vger23

Report this Jul. 22 2011, 6:21 pm

Bingo.

Plato's Stepchildren was the only episode I skipped when I watched the Blu Rays I bought.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 22 2011, 9:03 pm

I'm surprised that people agreed with me.  I was sure most people would say Turnabout Intruder.

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this Jul. 23 2011, 10:09 pm

so which one do you dislike the most then?

Madelow56

Report this Jul. 24 2011, 9:43 am

Hello all, I understand your feelings regarding "Plato's Stepchildren". There are certainly weaknesses. About 20 years ago, after viewing all 79 episodes, I did reviews of TOS, with a scoring system, and a grade equivalent. This enabled me to rank the episodes in a list. Long story short, it received a C grade, and a ranking of 59 (out of 79). Is there a board subject for reviews, where we can all compare them. I'd be very interested in that. Best regards, Madelow.

"Bones, what have I done?" "The same thing you always do, Jim. You take certain death and turn it into a fighting chance for life".

luvy4532

Report this Jul. 25 2011, 8:59 pm

Let me add Spock's Brain.  Sorry even as a fan I found this one ridiculous.  2. The Way to Eden.  Spock playing for an audiance?  Hippies in the future?

Kornula

Report this Jul. 25 2011, 9:28 pm

I like the Way to Eden  This is a comentiary on the hippy dippy movment in the 60s that is spot on.  Yes, its rediculous and over the top, but thats the point they were making how absurd people can be when they feel alienated..   And I think the leader of the group (forget the characters name) can be equated to say.. charlie manson .. Yes, this show was written and aired before Charlie came to light, but this is not the first time - nor has it been the last (David Koresh anyone.. jim Jones)

Truespock.  I dont dislike Spocks Brain.. but I do find myself watching it just for giggles.

So, on topic;  the Man trap is has too much Shatner in it for me. When he's being drained by the salt monster, that scream is ... too Shatner for me.  Otherwise, interesting theme they had going.

I used to think "And the children shall lead them" was silly, but then I watched it recently (on the remastered DVD set) and realized its very similar to "The Way to Eden" theme going on.. topped with Genes sneaky way to "kill god" there..

Now I just cannot find myself watching Trouble With tribbles... I know, I'm gonna get grief for this one, but I found this to be just totally silly and directed poorly, but thats me

Ghostmojo

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 2:00 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Just BTW, I actually LIKED 'Spock's Brain'.  Who's with me?

I am.

Well, at least in as much as I don't think it was the worst by a long chalk. OK it was a fairly preposterous notion - but then again many stories in Trek are! Given the possibly throwaway nature of the plot - I actually think it was handled quite well in terms of scripting and acting. I mean - they all managed to keep a straight face ... especially Nimoy!

to boldy go where no man has gone before

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 7:17 pm

Kornula

Report this Jul. 26 2011, 9:16 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jul. 26 2011, 7:17 pm

>Way to Eden and Plato's Stepchildren are pretty much it. Though  I should also count Spock's Brain in there. Those women really tested my patience, and the idea that Spock can talk McCoy through his own brain trasplant is just....just as it sounds.

Yeah, McCoy learning brain surgery in 2 minutes.. that sounds like.. like.. science fiction!

2takesfrakes

Report this Jul. 27 2011, 4:35 am

AMOK TIME

The rediculousness of Spock's pride getting in
the way of his survival. Especially when, as the
story reveals, sex with T'Pring isn't even necessary
to alleviate his symptoms. Not at ALL necessary ...

STARFLEET's stubborn refusal to let the ENTERPRISE
be delayed for a ceremonial function, knowing that
a member of the crew (Spock) had his life in danger.

Betrothing T'Pring to Spock as a child isn't logical.

Wymin are worth fighting for, perhaps even killing for,
but as part of an actual, respected ritual ... on VULCAN?

The absurdness of the prideful Vulcans - including
and especially T'Pau - in denying Spock his dignity
by not allowing him to hide behind a rock, in a grotto,
or somewhere, to experience his "Blood Fever" alone.

Having T'Pring as some Gold Digger, in the first place.

I could go on, but this episode's just so overrated ...

Kornula

Report this Jul. 27 2011, 7:08 am

Quote: 2takesfrakes @ Jul. 27 2011, 4:35 am

>AMOK TIME

>The rediculousness of Spock's pride getting in
the way of his survival. Especially when, as the
story reveals, sex with T'Pring isn't even necessary
to alleviate his symptoms. Not at ALL necessary ...

>STARFLEET's stubborn refusal to let the ENTERPRISE
be delayed for a ceremonial function, knowing that
a member of the crew (Spock) had his life in danger.

>Betrothing T'Pring to Spock as a child isn't logical.

>Wymin are worth fighting for, perhaps even killing for,
but as part of an actual, respected ritual ... on VULCAN?

>The absurdness of the prideful Vulcans - including
and especially T'Pau - in denying Spock his dignity
by not allowing him to hide behind a rock, in a grotto,
or somewhere, to experience his "Blood Fever" alone.

>Having T'Pring as some Gold Digger, in the first place.

>I could go on, but this episode's just so overrated ...

Actualy, betrothing marriage partners by the parents is perfectly logical.   If Vulcans have shed emotions for logic and reason, the dating process is nothing but emotions.  I belive they even mentioned this point in the episode.

As for the rest of your abusurd assumptions.. well... they are just that.

2takesfrakes

Report this Jul. 27 2011, 1:40 pm

Well-said, kirkishkahn! That was a good post.
As to having a glimpse of Vulcan, I really do
wonder if Nimoy had more creative control, perhaps,
what our first look at Vulcan would've been like.

As I understand it, this episode was written by
a respected science fiction author. However,
that clout gave him too much say, if you ask me.
It seems he just couldn't relate to a logical world.
A world of ancient customs and rituals appealed to
him, much more. And it's just not a good fit.

I understand keeping aspects of their culture alive,
especially with respect to art and certain customs.
But even we illogical Humans ended rituals involving
Gladiator Games and Human Sacrifices, you know?

Ghostmojo

Report this Jul. 28 2011, 12:32 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>And we see what happened to the Spartans.

What happened to them then? And why?

to boldy go where no man has gone before