Is J.J Abrams killing Star Trek?

easytntrekkie

Report this Jul. 16 2011, 9:19 pm

Is it J.J Abrams or Paramount. Star Trek '09 was not Star Trek. I believe this is a futile attempt at capturing the young crowd with all action, and no respect to science, or even respect to the Star Trek timeline. The fact of the matter is you're profit is going to come from the loyal trekkies, and that's not going to change. I think a movie set 5 years after Nemesis involving a Romulan, Federation, and Klingon border scirmish would have done well. Maybe even something like a Star Trek: Romulus, done on a Romulan Warbird, and make it a series. Basically I don't think this new route is going to work, and I;m afraid it may be the final stake to the heart of a great franchise. Even if it does continue, and attract new viewers I doubt it will ever be "Star Trek"

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Jul. 16 2011, 11:36 pm

Is it J.J Abrams or Paramount. Star Trek '09 was not Star Trek.

Yes it was. Just a different timeline

The Prime Universe timeline is intact. The new movie did not destroy it. Science means nothing. It's a work of fiction. Nothing more. The younger/expanded/casual etc audience was captured, and that would not have been possible without a reboot.

Wrong. The new movie connected with a wider audience than just established Trek fans. The franchise was becoming stale and incestuous and needed a change in order to engage a new audience.

No one gives a toss about border skimishes, and an alien show won't work without the human dimension and perspective. Seriously what thrilling adventures would we see on Star Trek: Warbird? The answer is none.

It's already worked. The new movie was a success.

Is Abrams killing Star Trek? No, he saved it.

Beershark

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 12:13 am

Star Trek broke the mold in '67. It's weakest moments since have been when it was a follower and not a leader. ST'09 is a controversy among Trek fans because it fills both rolls. It's use of action sequences, the over abundance of camera tricks, such shakey ahand held shots and lens flares, are at best formulaic and unimaginative. However, the idea of changing the timeline and NOT resetting it by the end of the story certainly is in the tradition of ST risk taking.

It is interesting that the directors comentary on TWOK talks about not letting the camera detract from the story, while Mr. Abrams seems to want to make his camera the main character of his production. He and his team set out to make the Star Wars version of Star Trek, which is why to many, including yours truely, the film comes across as something possing as ST. His choice of locations can only be described as a very bad WTF moment.

The story is also weak and done to death, The Wrath Of (insert villian here). The idea of changing the time line to open up the ST universe and free future writers to explore new ideas or revisit old ones is actually brilliant, and done in a way that is established ST cannon. It was just poorly executed.

I feel there were a couple of poor casting choices, as well as some good ones.

ST:TMP was equally loved and hated by fans when it was released, and yet it revitalized the franchise and opened the door to a whole new generation. Perhaps ST'09 will do the same. I believe, however, that the continued employment of Mr. Abrams is not a good choice for the franchise.

In the end, and to answer your question, I don't think anyone is killing Star Trek and both parties share in the blame for its weaknesses.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 3:28 am

Trekkers/Trekkies are quite a tolerant bunch. We will check it out and then pass verdict. In many ways we are also quite forgiving. One cannot blame them wanting to reactivate a very successful franchise from a purely commercial standpoint. But of course we will always view it from an artistic one.

I have mixed views about it. I'm glad Trek has had a shot in the arm - but I am also glad we can consign it to an alternative timeline/universe if we so wish.

I

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 6:06 am

I think it revived Star Trek. There hasn't been a series or movie for a while now, so Star Trek was dying. But after the new movie came out, it drew people to Star Trek. I'm sure I'm not the only one who became a trekkie after the new movie.

WkdYngMan

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 8:58 am

Yes, he made the most successful Star Trek in franchise history.  He sure is killing it.

I hope this thread doesn't go on for pages like the other one did when it doesn't need to, this thread was clearly done to troll the board.

easytntrekkie

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 11:46 am

WkdYngMan

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 2:06 pm

Quote: easytntrekkie @ Jul. 17 2011, 11:46 am

>Voyager did fine, and another Trek done in the same universe would do fine as well. Mark my words, Star Trek '12 will fail miserably. Fiction? Not anymore jack most of what Star Trek does has a factual scientific basis. Anti-Matter is real, and so are many other things that an uninformed mind wouldn't know.

Thread over.

coastcityo

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 3:57 pm

I strongly disliked JJ Trek 1, have no intention of ever watching his sequel, and realize it will still be a huge hit on the big screen.

So, he's killed any new trek for me for a few decades, but has "saved" the franchise for other fans (and Paramount).

Thread still over.

wissa

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 6:02 pm

he hasn't killed it, he's saved it.

Like us on Facebook Haters gotta hate

WkdYngMan

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 6:19 pm

Right.  Nothing more to discuss now.  Killed Star Trek for no one.  End of discussion.

Caesar753

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 6:25 pm

Do we really need another one of these threads?

spcis626

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 6:42 pm

He is not killing Star Trek. Too many fans made up their minds before they saw the movie never giving it a fair chance .

Sean Cisneros

AtoZ2

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 7:34 pm

Strange how the O.P. has that same familiar tone to that unmentioned perpetrator of multiple screen names...even the response is right on cue...must be that time of the month again...

For the record, JJ has in fact brought new life to the franchise and taken Trek to the top level of film making where it needed to go in order to survie

easytntrekkie

Report this Jul. 17 2011, 10:49 pm

This will be my last post on the subject but you people are extremely miss guided... I assure you I have no other accounts in the forum. I just hope they don't give up on the prime universe.