VOY: How Many Shuttlecrafts???

crusherfan3

Report this Jun. 21 2011, 10:47 am

Okay, so here's the deal... My dad and I have been watching VOY together, and he has noticed something strange/funny. In too many episodes to count, some of the characters (or a character) will fly in a shuttlecraft, and something always seems to happen to the shuttlecraft. It either gets blown up, or it crash-lands on a planet beyond repair. Yet, they ALWAYS seem to have more shuttlecrafts! Voyager is WAY out in space, right? So where are they getting all these shuttlecrafts?! Do they replicate them or something? We can't figure it out; it's kind of the running joke between us, lol.

Any thoughts???

"I won't forget. I won't forget any of you." --Beverly Crusher, *Remember Me*

Ezri Janeway

Report this Jun. 21 2011, 1:41 pm

If B'Elanna can cobble together Federation engine bits with several non Fed components, and ultimately invent slip stream technology, etc, Im sure she and her team can replicate the parts to build a shuttle or two, probably in their sleep.

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

willowtree

Report this Jun. 21 2011, 6:41 pm

It's a canon fact that they have the ability to build shuttles from scratch. They did build the Delta Flyer from scratch...TWICE. Plus the crew had lots of free time on their hands so they had plenty of time to repair/build shuttles

Admiral James T. Kirk

Report this Jun. 21 2011, 6:41 pm

I'm guessing like most Starfleet ships Voyager was Equipped with a couple of heavy Duty Engineering Replicators and one of th duties of these replicators is to make parts and pices for Starships/Shuttles

crusherfan3

Report this Jun. 22 2011, 12:52 pm

"I won't forget. I won't forget any of you." --Beverly Crusher, *Remember Me*

Ezri Janeway

Report this Jun. 22 2011, 7:02 pm

Quote: crusherfan3 @ Jun. 22 2011, 12:52 pm

>Thanks everyone! You've definitely given us something to think about. Wouldn't it be great if replicators were real??? They would make things so much easier! Lol.

they would sure make my cooking more edible.

I know thats a Janeway thing, but I was talking about my own real life cooking.

SLagonia

Report this Jun. 25 2011, 10:53 am

They began with two shuttlecraft.  Eight shuttles were destroyed on screen, another two were given away, another seven were almost certainly destroyed and another eight were so badly damaged they may or may not have been destroyed.

It's acceptable suspension of disbelief to believe that Voyager could build shuttles, especially since they built two Delta Flyers (though how a ship as large as the Flyer fit in there I don't know).  The real problem comes when they lose a large number of shuttles in such a short time that you simply can't fathom the ability to build shuttles from scratch so quickly, especially when they're struggling with resources.

"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

lostshaker

Report this Sep. 14 2011, 9:37 pm

Interestingly, there was a shuttlecraft that delivered Tom to Voyager/DS9. It's not really known if the Shuttlecraft docked with DS9 or Voyager, but an interesting discontinuity exists. As the shuttle first passes on screen, its number is 71325. But in the following shot it clearly reads 1701-D. Talk about a quick paint job.

Though Star Trek: Generations had already premiered before Voyager, the events are set after Voyager's premiere given the respective stardates - "Caretaker" (48315.6) and "Generations" (48632.4). The point being the Enterprise-D could've delivered the shuttlecraft (carrying Paris) if the second shot is to be taken over the first. Or it simply could've been a random shuttle flying around, independent from the other.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 9:45 am

There is no doubt on my mind there was a crew of ensigns on around the clock shuttlecraft maintenance and construction.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 9:45 am

And lets not forget Neelix's ship was in there too.

j3067

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 10:59 am

lostshaker

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 11:28 am

Quote: j3067 @ Sep. 15 2011, 10:59 am

>The craziest thing in my mind, given that Voyager feature so many auxillary ships, is that they never used to Aerowing-Shuttle/Captains Yacht in spite of creating designs and effects for it.  You can check out the drawings out on Drexler's website.

>http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/voyager-aerowing-shuttle/

That occurred to me as well. It's a beautiful design. Given the main structure's similarity to a runabout, they probably could've done a simple redress. However, that would no doubt anger some, either wanting a new ship with new sets or accusing the producers of being lazy.

lostshaker

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 11:45 am

While I love the Delta Flyer, it would've been great if they had mentioned the AeroWing in "Extreme Risk". They made a passing comment to their shuttles and forwarded the idea that such matters had been discussed before, but it was a bit too general for the detail I crave.

Matthias Russell

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 1:27 pm

SLagonia

Report this Sep. 15 2011, 5:12 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Sep. 15 2011, 1:27 pm

>Agreed. I like the Flyer but would have much rather had the Aerowing. I would like to know why it was never used. I suspect because if they crashed it, the ship model in later scenes would have to reflect this. Seriously, someone needs to make a scale rendering of shuttle bays 1 and 2 so we can understand how the shuttles fit and where they built more.

A website did, though I forget its name right now.  It determined that the bay could barely fit two shuttles, and could never fit Neelix's shuttle, The Delta Flyer or the racing ships in Drive.  None of those ships could have fit through the doors anyway.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, wissa