ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Where Should Headquaters be Placed?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:43 am

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 07 2011, 11:37 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 07 2011, 10:16 am

>

>

>Put Starfleet HQ on Risa. Yes sir.

>

Half the cadets and a third of the officers would be dead from jamaharonicide.

 


 


Yes, but those who survive would DEFINITELY be the best and brightest!!


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

SLagonia

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 18170

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:44 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jun. 08 2011, 5:50 am

>

>What about Tellar?

>Good reasons for NY and Earth.  But you don't think just putting it in a nothing planet of a member's solar system would work?  Like put the academy on the moon?  If you are going to work in space, you might as well train in space.

>


On the moon, you're one cracked dome away from losing every major Federation officer.


There is still the problem with having the infrastructure in place to support such a thing.  There is a reason why The UN Building is in New York and not Lincoln, Nebraska.


"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

SLagonia

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 18170

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:50 am

Quote: konarciq @ Jun. 08 2011, 6:00 am

>

>I might put SF headquarters (since it is - as mentioned - a Terran institution) in a small country town. No need to add yet another employment booster to the city - get some good jobs and development out to the country!

>And preferably outside the US - you guys got more than enough options to rule the world! How about putting it in the Central African Republic instead?

>I agree that the Academy should be in space, since that´s what they´re training for. And space is big...

>And UFP headquarters... well, anywhere within reach of the four planets involved, and for political reasons, it might be wise to pick a planet not owned by any of the four.

>


The problems with placing it in a small town should be pretty obvious; There's not enough people to work the jobs it would create, there's no infrastructure in place to service the dignitaries, there's no services in place to service so many new officers flocking to the area, there's no means of bringing large amounts of matiriels into the area to build such a headquarters, etc.  Small towns just don't have the ability to support such an institution.  Hell, San Fransico probably couldn't handle it.


Let's also just look at one little piece of logic - There's no way anyone would want to live in the swealtering heat of The African Savanna. 


No, the victorious powers emerging from WW3 would keep the headquarters close to them.  This explains why you have San Fransisco, Geneva, New York and Paris as the four locations mentioned at various times in Trek.  If we are to assume The Eastern Coalition was Asian in nature, it makes sense that there are no major institutions within those former boundaries.


"If it doesn't work, paint it." -Unofficial Motto of the Starfleet Border Patrol -------- "Speak for the unheard, secure the vulnerable, bring light to the dark, fight for those who cannot" -Real motto of The Starfleet Border Patrol

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 8:01 am

Let me get this straight. Having it in the middle of a major population center, on a planet with a high population, makes sense strategically and defensively?


Because, it's not like hostile aliens, with unknown weapons, can't blow earth and the UFP/SF HQ's to shreds before the full SF armada (which wouldn't necessarily be near earth) can be assembled in time to launch a defense. Right.


Please admit there's some human-centric arrogance at play here. NY, San Fran, Paris all mean something to humans (Americans mostly) and would be less meaningful to an alien civilization.


These are alien civilizations that travel FTL and many have been doing so for millennia. It is arrogant to assume the UFP is a technological match for most species in the galaxy.


I'm not even saying it can't be on a colony or territory of earth. But near millions/billions of humans? Fail.


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 10:39 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 08 2011, 7:43 am

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 07 2011, 11:37 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 07 2011, 10:16 am

>

>

>

>Put Starfleet HQ on Risa. Yes sir.

>

Half the cadets and a third of the officers would be dead from jamaharonicide.

 

 

Yes, but those who survive would DEFINITELY be the best and brightest!!


Good point!


 


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 12:17 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 08 2011, 10:39 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 08 2011, 7:43 am

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 07 2011, 11:37 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 07 2011, 10:16 am

>

>

>

>

>Put Starfleet HQ on Risa. Yes sir.

>

Half the cadets and a third of the officers would be dead from jamaharonicide.

 

 

Yes, but those who survive would DEFINITELY be the best and brightest!!

Good point!

 


Best and brightest, maybe.  But they won't be able to walk.


guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 3:56 pm

I think Alpha Centuri, just to satiesfy my own personal curiosity and see what makes them different enough from Earth to grant them seperate member status as it is shown in the ENT novels.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 4:14 am

Well, that brings up an interesting question to me.  Is adminition into the UFP done by species, planet, star, or goveranance?  It seems like it has always been done by planets, it is the united federation of PLANETS after all but would you admit one solar system's planet while they remain at odds with another planet of the same species in their system?

konarciq

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 930

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 7:00 am

Quote: SLagonia @ Jun. 08 2011, 7:50 am

Quote: konarciq @ Jun. 08 2011, 6:00 am

>

>

>I might put SF headquarters (since it is - as mentioned - a Terran institution) in a small country town. No need to add yet another employment booster to the city - get some good jobs and development out to the country!

>And preferably outside the US - you guys got more than enough options to rule the world! How about putting it in the Central African Republic instead?

>I agree that the Academy should be in space, since that´s what they´re training for. And space is big...

>And UFP headquarters... well, anywhere within reach of the four planets involved, and for political reasons, it might be wise to pick a planet not owned by any of the four.

>

The problems with placing it in a small town should be pretty obvious; There's not enough people to work the jobs it would create, there's no infrastructure in place to service the dignitaries, there's no services in place to service so many new officers flocking to the area, there's no means of bringing large amounts of matiriels into the area to build such a headquarters, etc.  Small towns just don't have the ability to support such an institution.  Hell, San Fransico probably couldn't handle it.

Let's also just look at one little piece of logic - There's no way anyone would want to live in the swealtering heat of The African Savanna. 

No, the victorious powers emerging from WW3 would keep the headquarters close to them.  This explains why you have San Fransisco, Geneva, New York and Paris as the four locations mentioned at various times in Trek.  If we are to assume The Eastern Coalition was Asian in nature, it makes sense that there are no major institutions within those former boundaries.


Pardon the expression, but this is nothing but bulldust


First from ST- canon (the encyclopedia): much of Earth was destroyed in ww3, and in the following post-atomic horror, the people pretty much turned to a barbaric state. So if there were any cities left at all (major cities are after all a prime target in a war, not the country towns), there wouldn´t be much left in infrastructure and services and anything. Which simply means there wasn´t much to begin with - anywhere on Earth.


Secondly: I happen to live in a small country town (some 10,000 inhabitants, nearest major city some 100 miles away) that has served as the headquarters of a major multinational company (IKEA) for as long as the company has existed (some 50 years, I believe). Of course it started small, just as Starfleet is unlikely to start as the major institution we know. The town is located along a major railwayline, and has good access to the highway down to Copenhagen and from there into Europe.


As the company grew, it attracted the necessary services and builders to put the necessary infrastructure, hotels, factories and offices in place. The town expanded, too, as the company grew, and built to ensure housing for the IKEA bosses and employees. Nowadays, the town is locally known as IKEA-city - despite its small size.


Which means that - given the moving in of a company with growing potential - the necessary investments in infrastructure, buildings, transport, housing and services etc will simply follow suit. Even in a small town.


Is this a single exception?


Definitely not. The Australian capital Canberra was built up out of nothing, too. The entire national government is located in a newly built city that is located in a valley that was nothing but nature some 100 years ago. They didn´t even have a road or railwayline in place!


Not to mention all the American big cities. They´re only a few centuries old, too. Would New York, would San Francisco or Los Angeles or any of them have grown so big and important, had not some daring company decided to locate his business there, and with that, attracting others?


The wish to have your headquarters in a major city (like New York, Paris, London) is only a question of status. Even if research shows that your company would benefit from another location, the big boss wouldn´t want to have the internationally unknown "Tiel" on their businesscard. Instead, they locate their offices in the overcrowded and expensive metropole Amsterdam. (And in case you wonder: this example comes straight from a case study in my geography studies )


Regarding the sweltering heat of Africa: lots of people live there and are happy with it :-) Unless of course you consider Starfleet to be an American organization? That was not my impression, but I admit I´m not sure. Besides, dealing with different climates is part of exploring space, isn´t it? I don´t think the majority of the planets out there have a pleasant 21 degrees Celsius either...


By the way, who says there hasn´t been a major climate change after that huge atomic ww3?


If there is nothing wrong with me, then maybe there´s something wrong with the universe? -Dr. Crusher

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 7:32 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jun. 09 2011, 4:14 am

>

>Well, that brings up an interesting question to me.  Is adminition into the UFP done by species, planet, star, or goveranance?  It seems like it has always been done by planets, it is the united federation of PLANETS after all but would you admit one solar system's planet while they remain at odds with another planet of the same species in their system?

>


All of the above. Many species were warp capable or deep space capable for a long time and had colonies or possessions outside of their own homeworld (Andorians, Vulcans, etc.). I woulnd't read too much into "planets" other than all of the sentient species originated on a planet at some point.


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

trekgurl54

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 57

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 2:50 pm

I think Star Fleet & UFP are fine where they are. Leave well enuf alone!

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 4:25 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 09 2011, 7:32 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jun. 09 2011, 4:14 am

>

>

>Well, that brings up an interesting question to me.  Is adminition into the UFP done by species, planet, star, or goveranance?  It seems like it has always been done by planets, it is the united federation of PLANETS after all but would you admit one solar system's planet while they remain at odds with another planet of the same species in their system?

>

All of the above. Many species were warp capable or deep space capable for a long time and had colonies or possessions outside of their own homeworld (Andorians, Vulcans, etc.). I woulnd't read too much into "planets" other than all of the sentient species originated on a planet at some point.

This could all lead to an entirely different discussion. After all, the structure of what exactly The Federation, and Starfleet to a lesser degree have never been adequately explained.


There's no bigger example than trying to define the Trill's status in the Federation.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum