ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Should the United States start our own real life Starfleet Academy?

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 1:29 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 3:48 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jun. 06 2011, 2:13 pm

>

>

>No.

>But perhaps the UN should.

>Get NASA, ESA and the Russians, Chinese, Indians and everybody else together. We could call it the United Federation of Our Planet.

>I'd be happy to see it based in San Francisco and Paris (both lovely cities).

>Otherwise we'll only end up scrapping in space ...

>

The UN is a garbage organization. It should be limited to one nation, so to many voices don't ruin it. I also feel people are starting to wake up in the US, regarding space exploration.


erm ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 3:59 pm

You're getting a little bit ahead there. I agree with what I read here somewhere; that we need the world's super powers committed to this single goal of space exploration.


Maybe we could start with the Earth United Space Probe Agency.


(yes, i know it is suppose to be United Earth, but this sounds better, considering our political divisions)


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46310

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.


guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.

Bases for what? That's the question private companies would ask, in trying to determine what's the profit for them.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46310

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 6:21 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.

Bases for what? That's the question private companies would ask, in trying to determine what's the profit for them.

I suspect that the first things they're going to go after is raw materials.  Additionally, tourism in time.  Simple S-curve.


guillermo.mejía

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2852

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 6:27 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:21 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.

Bases for what? That's the question private companies would ask, in trying to determine what's the profit for them.

I suspect that the first things they're going to go after is raw materials.  Additionally, tourism in time.  Simple S-curve.

Turism into space is not a cheap endevour.


"Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon." - Scotty, The Miracle Worker since 2265.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46310

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 7:00 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:27 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:21 pm

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.

Bases for what? That's the question private companies would ask, in trying to determine what's the profit for them.

I suspect that the first things they're going to go after is raw materials.  Additionally, tourism in time.  Simple S-curve.

Turism into space is not a cheap endevour.

That's why I mentioned the S-curve.


JiggsCasey

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 7:20 pm

F@## Yeah! Where do I sign up? Maybe I can make captain in 3 years. 

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this Jun. 12 2011, 8:39 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jun. 08 2011, 1:29 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 3:48 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jun. 06 2011, 2:13 pm

>

>

>

>No.

>But perhaps the UN should.

>Get NASA, ESA and the Russians, Chinese, Indians and everybody else together. We could call it the United Federation of Our Planet.

>I'd be happy to see it based in San Francisco and Paris (both lovely cities).

>Otherwise we'll only end up scrapping in space ...

>

The UN is a garbage organization. It should be limited to one nation, so to many voices don't ruin it. I also feel people are starting to wake up in the US, regarding space exploration.

erm ...


Many voices provide more balance, less self-interested egotism.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 7:54 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 07 2011, 6:32 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 3:54 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 06 2011, 6:51 pm

>

>

>

>At the moment humanity has neither enough interest nor enough scientific acumen necessary to keep the momentum needed to sustain a real Academy. Meanwhile, NASA does continue to train astronauts for orbital living.

>

I think you underestimate the "interest" humanity has in it.

Well, no I don't think I am. Nominally, people are very interested. I'm interested... in a round about, metaphysical sense. In that vague "Wouldn't it be cool if..." kind of way. Maybe one day there will be some loopy billionnaire or other who is just about crazy enough to provide some funding to start such an endeavour. I mean, everyone's interested in space travel, right? That is why we are sending probes to the edge of the solar system. Do we need better science education and funding for research? Sure we do.

The thing is, until we can get to the stage where space travel is a) safer, b) easier, c) less expensive, there will not be enough short-term gain to justify anything on a much bigger scale than NASA's current training programmes. And without short-term returns on the public investment, that is the point at which interest will wane. Saying yeah I am interested and it would be pretty sweet is one thing. Actually working up enough real support to justify long-term funding (for little short-term gain) is quite another.

So I stick by my original position. Perhaps someone might start something like the Academy, as a novelty even, but public support for such an endeavour is highly unlikely to be sustainable -- given the current socio-political and scientific environment.


I agree with OtakuJo, who has summed up the matter very well here. 


There simply is no need for such an academy right now.  Manned spaceflight is still extremely rare and the province of only a very few individuals from only three countries, the US, Russia, and China.  Creating a SF Academy or something like that to train hundreds of astronauts is just a waste of money, because there aren't enough missions for them anyway.  


 


KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 7:58 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.


They already are:  Virgin Galactic (space tourism), SpaceEx (Falcon launch vehicle and Dragon manned capsule), Orbital (Minotaur launch vehicle).


NASA's current stategy is to have the private sector provide the next LEO manned vehicle to ferry astronauts to the ISS.  The thinking is that the private sector will do a better and cheaper job than a federal agency like NASA.  Some astronauts are for it and some (i.e. Dr. Neil Armstrong) are against it.  That's why the Constellation program was killed, to hand the reigns over to SpaceEx.


   


KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 7:59 am

Quote: guillermo.mejía @ Jun. 12 2011, 6:12 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jun. 12 2011, 5:07 pm

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

>

>

>

>Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

>
I'd have liked to see private companies be allowed to get into space.  We might even have a moon base by now.

Bases for what? That's the question private companies would ask, in trying to determine what's the profit for them.


Heium 3 mining on the moon (i.e. the film Moon). 


 


KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 10054

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 8:01 am

Y'know, Matthias Russell should comment on this thread, since he recently left NASA's Space Shuttle program after years of working there.  He's said some interesting things about the management of the agency and its culture.


 

sweatervested1

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 147

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 12:34 pm

Does anyone actually know why we haven't sent Humans to Mars yet? Hell, I would go if they allowed me.

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this Jun. 13 2011, 12:47 pm

Quote: rocketscientist @ Jun. 13 2011, 8:01 am

>

>Y'know, Matthias Russell should comment on this thread, since he recently left NASA's Space Shuttle program after years of working there.  He's said some interesting things about the management of the agency and its culture.


Well come on over to the Science and Technology board! Here are just a few of the topics MR has posted in that deal with NASA and space exploration:


http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic/33347901/nasa-and-space-exploration


http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic/33345762/nasa


 


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum