Should the United States start our own real life Starfleet Academy?

sweatervested1

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 6:32 am

SLagonia

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 7:34 am

We don';t even have a manned space program anymore, and you want to begin Starfleet?

Treknoir

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 7:59 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 06 2011, 6:32 am

>The new academy could bring in the best minds from around the world to teach our future generations about space exploration. Before you say we don't have warp drive, I say we will. The Academy will lead us to it, you have to start somewhere!

Should the US start a SF-like academy? No. Should the US actively fund space exploration, including manned missions, that may someday necessitate the formation of a SF-like academy? Yes.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 2:13 pm

But perhaps the UN should.

I'd be happy to see it based in San Francisco and Paris (both lovely cities).

Otherwise we'll only end up scrapping in space ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 3:06 pm

Not yet, but if when we can get a few hundred thousand people in space at any given time, then maybe...

megan512

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 5:35 pm

Although it'd be pretty cool, I don't think that it would happen, or at least it wouldn't happen now. I think if it were to happen, though, it would have to be a worldwide intiative, not just the US.

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 6:51 pm

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

sweatervested1

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 3:48 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jun. 06 2011, 2:13 pm

>But perhaps the UN should.

>Get NASA, ESA and the Russians, Chinese, Indians and everybody else together. We could call it the United Federation of Our Planet.

>I'd be happy to see it based in San Francisco and Paris (both lovely cities).

>Otherwise we'll only end up scrapping in space ...

The UN is a garbage organization. It should be limited to one nation, so to many voices don't ruin it. I also feel people are starting to wake up in the US, regarding space exploration.

sweatervested1

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 3:54 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 06 2011, 6:51 pm

>At the moment humanity has neither enough interest nor enough scientific acumen necessary to keep the momentum needed to sustain a real Academy. Meanwhile, NASA does continue to train astronauts for orbital living.

I think you underestimate the "interest" humanity has in it. However, I do agree our scientific acumen is not where it needs to be. Thats where the Academy comes in.( I know this is wishful thinking. I'm stuck in the 21st century, when I should be in the 24th. I'm someone lost in time. Humanity is going to have to up our game! lol)

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 6:32 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Jun. 07 2011, 3:54 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 06 2011, 6:51 pm

I think you underestimate the "interest" humanity has in it.

Well, no I don't think I am. Nominally, people are very interested. I'm interested... in a round about, metaphysical sense. In that vague "Wouldn't it be cool if..." kind of way. Maybe one day there will be some loopy billionnaire or other who is just about crazy enough to provide some funding to start such an endeavour. I mean, everyone's interested in space travel, right? That is why we are sending probes to the edge of the solar system. Do we need better science education and funding for research? Sure we do.

The thing is, until we can get to the stage where space travel is a) safer, b) easier, c) less expensive, there will not be enough short-term gain to justify anything on a much bigger scale than NASA's current training programmes. And without short-term returns on the public investment, that is the point at which interest will wane. Saying yeah I am interested and it would be pretty sweet is one thing. Actually working up enough real support to justify long-term funding (for little short-term gain) is quite another.

So I stick by my original position. Perhaps someone might start something like the Academy, as a novelty even, but public support for such an endeavour is highly unlikely to be sustainable -- given the current socio-political and scientific environment.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

sweatervested1

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 7:37 am

Otakujo, We landed on the moon in the 60s! The f#**ing 60s. We should have been on Mars and beyond by now! We have so many stupid programs that is zapping our funds dry, like bogus entitlements. ps: I know this rant wont change shit.

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 5:42 pm

Yeah I know. People say, if enough interest can be gained, they will then have people on Mars in 15 years.

Thus far, the training programmes that NASA have are good, for the programme that they have.

And they are doing amazing things.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be cool. And in the future, it may still happen. Right now, though -- the political and social climate does not support a larger-scale operation than NASA.

Which let's face it, is a large-scale operation in terms of funding and so on. They are training people for space flight already, and gaining knowledge from probes.

What do you mean by "bogus entitlements"?? Just curious.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

tribblenator999

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 7:17 pm

man what are you smoking.

"take us out"...

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 7:40 pm

Longbottom leaf. Want some?

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

sweatervested1