Biggest Unsolved Mystery in a Star Trek Episode?

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 4:12 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>In TNG episode "conspiracy"

>DATA: Captain, I have attempted to trace the message Remmick was sending. I believe it was aimed at an unexplored sector of our galaxy.
LAFORGE: Any idea what the message was, Data?
DATA: I believe it was a beacon.
PICARD: A beacon?
DATA: Yes, sir. A homing beacon, sent from Earth.

>What's the rest of the story behind those aliens?

The books have something to say on that. Particularly Unity and WODS9: Unjoined. They come up with an interesting theory. Out-of-universe, though, the Consipiracy aliens were kind of like Borg MK1. They were going to be the Big Bads of TNG once the writers gave up on making the Ferengi into a super-villainous race.

It is an interesting question. I would need a mo. to think about it, but I will say that I would not have minded seeing more episodes of Section 31. Seemed that they were introduced very late and was always such an interesting concept.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

LtPondwater9

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 2:27 am

The origins of the Borg.

The ducks fly at Midnight.

Vger23

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 10:33 am

I think the fate of the "Conspiracy" aliens is definitely a big one, so I'll agree with that. I'm not convinced that the aliens from "Schisms" qualifies, becuase they were from a totally different dimension / universe, and probably would not be able to locate us again, especially given Laforge's suggestion of a warning.

I actually think that the nature of the creature they found on Sha Ka Rhee is one of the great unfinished pieces of business in Star Trek. What was that creature? Why was it living on that planet beyond the barrier? What were it's goals and capabilities? Is it dead, or is it still alive? I know there are novels that addressed this, but I would have liked to see a canon rationale.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 11:48 am

The Conspiracy one REALLY bothered me but I liked the way the books told it with the parasites being a failed creation of the Trill.

Zero Sum Game told an excellent tale of what the Breen are and made sense of the many descriptions of them.

I don't know that there are mysteries I want solved but there is plenty of continuance I would like with different side characters and aliens, specifically the Voth from "Distant Origin" and the aliens in "Dragon's Teeth".

Caalma

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 11:59 am

in Nemisis, how did Shinzon get B4? and where was B4 before Nemisis?

In the TNG episode "a fistfull of DATAS," what caused the energy spike to cause the interface between DATA and the ships computer?

TNG Darmok.... What ever happened to the Tamarians? Did they ever join the Federation?

What ever became of the lifeform 'Junior?'

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 6:25 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jun. 06 2011, 11:48 am

>With all the Borg origin stories, I hate the Vger connection but loved the Caeliar/NX-02 connection from Destiny.

**SPOILERS**

I really like the origin story that was put forward by SCE: Wounds. That's an interesting one, and makes sense in sociological terms -- with a warring people becoming more and more dependant on cybernetics in an attempt to save themselves. Although we don't fully see in this story the point at which they may have evolved into the Collective, it makes suggestions as to what may have been the first steps on this path.

Sorry if I spoiled anything.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 6:59 pm

I've always wondered about the race of Titans from "Skin of Evil", who shed their vileness to create Armus. I also wonder about Armus himself, though he is undoubtably secure on Vegra II. Though Ferengi could always come snooping around, believing the Federation is hiding a bulk of gold pressed latinuum. The Ferengi would be in for a surprise.

The aliens from "Conspiracy" are the first aliens I thought of upon seeing this thread. Apparently, though, the episode caused a stir among production staff & viewers and was considered dark by many. In my area, I even remember them broadcasting "viewer discretion advised". But as a child, upon first viewing, "Conspiracy" was among my top five favorites of TNG's first season and stuck with me for years. I always wished they'd followed up on it.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 9:10 am

I think an equally good question would be what's the biggest plot hole?  Where did B4 come from?  That's a big plot hole to me.

GulMatan

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 9:17 pm

Trekkie -- I am not a Trekker!

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 9:26 pm

Quote: GulMatan @ Jun. 07 2011, 9:17 pm

>One of the biggest plot holes for me is Data's emotion as seen in 'ST: Generations.'  The last we see is that Lore's emotion chip is damaged in TNG:'Descent.'  So, where, how did Data's emotion chip come from?

It was the same emotion chip as in Descent. (Not damaged beyond repair.) Data was going to destroy it but Geordi prevented him, saying that he should keep it for when he was ready.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

GulMatan

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 9:38 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 07 2011, 9:26 pm

Quote: GulMatan @ Jun. 07 2011, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the clarification.  From the sounds of it, I got the feeling the chip was DBR (damaged beyond repair).  I stand corrected.

Trekkie -- I am not a Trekker!

Beersnark

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:23 pm

Who put the tribbles in the quadrotritachalie?

(We already know what was in the grain that killed them.)

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:53 pm

Where the heck did Scotty end up after leaving the Enterprise D? (i'm not counting the novels since this thread is talking about episodes)

3 of 12

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 11:40 pm

Just for hoots and giggles. What ever happen to Yarnek from the planet Excalbia?

Are you worthy of being added to the Collective's perfection?

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 09 2011, 12:34 am

^and is that a toilet he's sitting on because if so, the man has some serious plumbing problems.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?