Is Star Trek more Democratic or Republican?

Aloenam

Report this Jun. 04 2011, 1:54 pm

I have noticed there are times in a given episode when they may lean more Left or Right depending on the circumstance. But over all does Star Trek lean one way more than it does the other?  Or is it that Star Trek (at its core) is supposed to represent the better, united version of both parties (or some other style of Government altogether) honestly working as one for the betterment of the people?

Lets be nice everyone

Matthias Russell

Report this Jun. 04 2011, 2:04 pm

I would hope neither but it seems more liberal in social and foreign policy issues.

Treknoir

Report this Jun. 04 2011, 5:40 pm

Neither. ST humans evolved past that foolishness. Wish it were real.

padracin

Report this Jun. 04 2011, 6:01 pm

the trouble is that the definition of the terms change really quickly with time.  Positions that were conservative 10-15 years ago, are not now.  We may as well ask if Star Trek was more Whig or Tory.  I would say there was a strong liberal or libertarian streak in TOS and TNG, but there was a strong military culture as well.  DS9 was much much more nuanced than any of the series.  I found VOY more conservative.  Can't decide how to call Enterprise.

I think Roddenberry personally was sympathetic to aspects of both Left and Right as those terms were defined when he lived.   And I think from what we read on the boards its obvious that fandom covers the spectrum.  Which says that somehow the franchise managed to engage an amazingly diverse follwing - a rare achievement in itself.

Good topic Aloenam!

3 of 12

Report this Jun. 04 2011, 10:58 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Jun. 04 2011, 5:40 pm

>Neither. ST humans evolved past that foolishness. Wish it were real.

Amen.

Are you worthy of being added to the Collective's perfection?

Ghostmojo

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 4:20 am

It's an odd proposition to post on what is after all only your 5th posting.

Most people deal with the various shows and characters long before settling down to the more esoteric or controversial topics.

I don't think Roddenberry would have viewed it that way at all.

With the greatest respect, your comment seems to me to be more in line with the current soul-searching that is going on within US socio-political culture rather than anything to do with Star Trek.

To the curious outsider/observer there does seem to be divisions appearing with one side or other trying to lay claim to the soul of the nation, its culture, values etc.

That is a shame and should be excluded from the universe created by Gene Roddenberry and his team and its successors.

tribblenator999

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 7:31 am

i'd say green party. lol

Sora

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 9:56 am

I think it had a mix of both. Personally I'm a Conservative myself, and I do tend to find a good bit of liberal messages in Trek. But I find Enterprise to be pretty Conservative, Good ol' Captain Archer, takes no crap

DS9 was as well for the most part. Voyager could go either way depending on the situation. Voyager was conservative when it came to fighting The Borg and The Kazon and not backing down. But very liberal when it came to subjects such as the doctor. He's not a real person, he's a hologram, a tool, a piece of technology, and they had all their episodes about violating holographic rights. It was just silly. It wasn't any different from being conerned about the feelings of a tricorder or a phaser. I felt like the whole Doctor thing was a metaphor for Tree's having rights and squrrels having rights over that of human beings well being.

TOS could go either way depending on the situation.

TNG I think out of them all, was the most liberal if you want to view it that way.

I mean you can really see this in I'Borg. Picard's decision was a bad one and incredibly liberal, and NONE of the other captains would have done what he did. Archer and Kirk both would've knocked him on his butt and then dragged Hugh back to the Borg to infect the rest of them.

I don't think Sisko or Janeway would've gone for that either.

Just wanted to give an example so you'd have some idea as to what I was referring to.

Live Long and Prosper

FltAdmlHyperViper

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 5:03 pm

I believe we as a human race will one day evolve far enough beyond politics and Star Trek has proven more than once that we can go in that direction on more than one occasion, proving that Star Trek is about unity and tolerance so Star Trek is neither Democratic or Republican hence the organization known as the United Federation of Planets. Kaplah!!! Live long and prosper.

Fleet Admiral Hyper Viper

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 5:15 pm

Politics in the sense of petty bickering and one-upmanship, let's hope we evolve beyond that.

Politics in the sense of debate, differing opinions, and caring about current issues enough to find a balance between them, let's hope we never evolve beyond that.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Aloenam

Report this Jun. 05 2011, 10:39 pm

I see it much the same way Fleet Admiral.

Ghostmojo: I agree that the Nations issues should probably be excluded from the ST universe. My post was not intended to begin a discussion in that direction but I can see how it might have seemed that way. My apologies if anyone was offended.

I grew up watching TNG & ENT so I know more about their political positions than any of the others.  I was curious to know (Much in the way Sora has told it) if DS9, Voyager, TOS & TAS were as consistent & if the Star Trek philosophy has been the same since the late 60’s till today. If not then what has changed and why?

Great comments everyone.

FltAdmlHyperViper

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 3:16 am

I was not offended in any way Aloenam. Your point was well taken and you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions so please feel free to express yourself at anytime after all that is what the Star Trek Universe is all about. Live long and prosper my friend.

Fleet Admiral Hyper Viper

chr33355

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 9:45 am

They are socialist

Vger23

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 10:22 am

You are all wrong.

They lean more toward the "Rent is Too DAMM High" party.

Treknoir

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 10:28 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Jun. 06 2011, 10:22 am

>You are all wrong.

>They lean more toward the "Rent is Too DAMM High" party.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tell me you heard his rap?

Users browsing this forum: darmokattanagra