How come no one wants to move past the point in time that Nemesis happened?

tvz

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 10:45 am

From my own reading here... I am noticing that not many people are interested in moving the Trek universe forward.

We had Enterprise, which was a prequel to TOS.

We had The JJ Abrams version, which was a reboot of TOS (alt. timeline).

It seems people either want to see a tv series with the JJ universe, or a prequel between Ent. and TOS.

Does anyone care what happens beyond Nemesis, or onward to the 25th Century?

We keep revisiting and rebooting, but we havent moved forward in over 10 years...

Vger23

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 10:58 am

Because, ironically, "moving forward" is even more derivitive than prequels and reboots. "Moving forward" was done in TNG, DS9 and VOY already. Do we really want / need / care about Star Trek: The NEXT Next Generation? Do we need yet another crew aboard yet another ship? I know I don't.

I'd much rather they go back to the grass roots of Trek like they have done recently.

The other reason they avoid it is that they know that no new audiences are going to care about a new show or movie that has 50 years worth of history to catch up on. You can do a prequel or reboot with much more mass-audience / franchise introduction appeal.

SLagonia

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 11:31 am

Vger23

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 12:03 pm

Quote: SLagonia @ Jun. 01 2011, 11:31 am

>Uh...  What?  I'm pretty sure roughly 90% of fans want to move past Nemesis.  Don't focus on a few people who want to look at other points in time, almost the entire fandom wants a post-Nemesis series.

1. I was speaking about my own personal preferences.

2. Upon what facts do you base this statement above? 90%? Where do you get this figure from?

It doesn't matter, becuase I thought it was clear that "what the fans want" isn't really the only thing (and certainly not the primary thing) the studio cares about. The studio cares about developing Star Trek for a future generation of fans, not just for the existing fanbase. The existing fanbase is not a viable platform upon which to build the future of the franchise. We are in essence old, picky, fragmented, jaded and cheap.

As a long-time fan, I'd much rather have NO Star Trek than another derivitive series about yet another cliched crew on another ship exploring further into the future. Been there, done that. At least the 2009 film was a daring attempt at something different with  a recast of the original characters and a universe-reboot. Enterprise, as a CONCEPT was daring and different, but ended up being just another crew aboard another ship, and it couldn't even last more than 4 seasons on Paramount's OWN network.

I love Star Trek...but I'm in no rush to have just another formulaic series thrust upon us. I'd rather enjoy the next JJ movie or two and wait another 5-10 years for something once again truly unique and challenging.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

tvz

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 1:30 pm

Yeah, why would the studio want to appeal to the hardcore, long-time Trek fans? Ill tell you why they should.... because all of these "new" Star Trek fans the studio is trying to get, are more into pretty faces, nice bodies, and easy to follow plots with lots of action. Basically, they are redesigning Star Trek so that the same idiots who watch Dancing with the Stars and American Idol will enjoy it now.

I want another "derivative" series. Sorry you dont agree.

tvz

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 1:31 pm

Oh and PS-

I do NOT want to wait another 10-15 years for anothr Star Trek. Ill be old as crap by then!!!!!!! Kids....... who understands em'.....

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 1:43 pm

I'd be more than happy with a post-Nemesis series, so long as Abrams' crap is ignored and Romulus is fine. If not (and sadly unlikely), I'd abandon ship. I'm very thankful for Doctor Who.

Zorf24

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 4:26 pm

Quote: SLagonia @ Jun. 01 2011, 11:31 am

agreed, i think just about everyone here wants a post-nemesis series except the hardcore abrams fans.

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 4:28 pm

!!

But the Romulan Empire was pretty damn big, so some of their planets will have survived, and the Romulan people would still be around even without their homeworld. And now they have a treaty with the Vulcans... hmm....

"My Trek" is -- and I suspect always will be -- 2360s-2370s. But think about it this way: TNG was a century after TOS. Fandom has been remarkably accepting of TNG-era Trek, considering. I suspect the reason for that is, 'cos it's good. I would not say no to a 25th Century series, but nor am I desperate to see one.

And the waiting part isn't too bad. Better to have a well thought-out series at a later time than to rush one off the production mill, and leave it with the feel of a hastily patched-together piece of spare junk. If that takes ten years, I'm good with it.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 4:38 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 01 2011, 4:28 pm

>I hate to have to say this, ls -- as I miss Romulus much more than I do Vulcan -- but I'm not sure if they can ignore it. The destruction of Romulus is canon (as in actually on-screen movie canon) now, and not alternate either...

There is no proof that Abrams' universe spawned off from the proper timeline... All we have is Leonard Nimoy, who - as it applies to this movie - is not definitively from the proper timeline either. They can ignore it.

FascinatingIndeed

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 4:42 pm

Oh dear.  Again with the ST09 arguments...

Why am I not surprised....

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 4:46 pm

Arguments, minus name calling, is what makes these boards interesting.

Ezri Janeway

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 5:48 pm

Quote: tvz @ Jun. 01 2011, 1:30 pm

>Yeah, why would the studio want to appeal to the hardcore, long-time Trek fans?

Because theres not enough of them to make a profit.

Id be very happy to see Trek moving forward into the future as much as I am watching the current movies being made. Why cant we have both?

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

OtakuJo

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 6:20 pm

Quote: lostshaker @ Jun. 01 2011, 4:46 pm

>Arguments, minus name calling, is what makes these boards interesting.

I agree.

OOPS. Sorrys for not arguing!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 7:18 pm

Quote: OtakuJo @ Jun. 01 2011, 6:20 pm

Quote: lostshaker @ Jun. 01 2011, 4:46 pm

>Arguments, minus name calling, is what makes these boards interesting.

I agree.

OOPS. Sorrys for not arguing!

LOL.  Oh. I just now took note of your signature, OtakuJo. I LOVE it!!!

Users browsing this forum: Dryson3