Back in 1987 when TNG was first airing, in it's 1st season, was anyone's favorite character Yar?

Sora

Report this May. 31 2011, 7:51 pm

I have no idea. I was actually the born the day AFTER season 2 ended. Does anyone hear remember watching TNG Season 1 when it originally aired. Was Tasha Yar a popular character? Were many people sad to see her go? Watching Season 1, I actually find her character rather interesting and I kinda wish she could've stuck around for the whole series. Or at least part of the series. She didn't even make it into the 2nd season.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 31 2011, 8:19 pm

I was in my early 20's when TNG began so remember it well. Sooooo exciting to see Trek back!

I liked Tasha, not as much as some of the characters but more than others and I was sad to see her go. If I recall the press made a meal of it with all kinds of wild stroies why she had gone, none of which I read past the headlines, but I think a lot of people would have liked to see her stay.

Didnt she return later due to some kind of time warp only Guinan could sense? What I remember of it, it was a very good episode and really good to see Yar again.

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

Sora

Report this May. 31 2011, 8:46 pm

Sora

Report this May. 31 2011, 8:46 pm

Oh and she also returned for All Good Things

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 31 2011, 8:51 pm

Quote: Sora @ May. 31 2011, 8:46 pm

>Yes she did return for Yesterday's Enterprise in Season 3. And again for Redemption 1 and 2 and Unification 1 and 2. But the latter two she was playing Sela, her half Romulan Daughter.

Ooh I forgot about Sela!

OtakuJo

Report this May. 31 2011, 9:13 pm

When TNG started I was nine years old. But I didn't watch Star Trek because I was still living with my family at that time, and my family didn't watch Star Trek. But I was interested, I think. As far as Yar went, she was really a background character in my mind.

You may find it weird but the characters I actually knew at that time...

Guinan -- because she was Whoopi Goldberg.
O'Brien -- because I remember thinking "Oh so they got the Scottish guy on the transporters last time, so now they got the Irish guy called O'Brien."
Worf -- because he was the Klingon guy and that was a big deal, given that the Klingons were bad guys before.

It was cool that they brought Yar back in Yesterday's Enterprise. But I have to be honest, before watching some stuff in uni, she didn't exist for me... And thanks to the "quality" (so-called) of first season TNG, she still kind of doesn't.

Good moment though: "Data. It never happened."

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

LtPondwater9

Report this May. 31 2011, 9:37 pm

I was a small kid when TNG first aired but upon watching reruns in syndication, I liked her.

The ducks fly at Midnight.

Sora

Report this May. 31 2011, 10:06 pm

I can agree that Season 1 of TNG isn't that great as is easily the worst season of the series. We really don't begin to see who any of these characters truely are until Season 2, which is why I wish Yar had lasted longer. I think by Season 4 or 5 she would've been pretty interesting. Just imagine the episode Legacy from Season 4 with Yar still in it?

coastcityo

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 8:14 am

I didn't start watching until around the third season or so, but I started by watching my friend's videotaped copies of the series from the beginning. Never cared for Tasha at all, and was happy to see her leave actually because I was a huge Worf fan. The problem with her being on the show, is she was so militaristic that her and Worf just kind of seemed like clones of each other, and she was the tactical officer/head of security. Her leaving allowed Worf to take her position and finally get a job, just like having Geordi go from being another helmsman, to being the chief engineer. It just allowed them to stabilize the roles of everyone in the second season, as well as allowing Worf to be the character he needed to be. Either her or Worf needed to go, because I couldn't see Worf as the engineer, and it looked silly for him to be siting at the helm constantly saying "photons sir?". And if it was down to her or Worf leaving the show, I'm all in favor of her getting the boot.

As for O'Brien being the Irish transporter chief to Scotty's Scottish Engineer, do remember that he was a helmsman in "Farpoint" and "All Good Things", but that bridge was way too crowded with Geordi and Worf and Wesley and whichever red shirt would be needed to die at the helm in each episode fighting for the driver's seat.

gman707@gmail.com

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 8:38 am

i liked yar! she was always getting into trouble  which, as a mischevious 7 year old, i could relate to. she wasnt my favourite though. those honors went to Picard because patric stewart was english  and geordi because he had a cool visor thing going on (apparently my seven year old brain wasn't all that logical!). looking back on the series now my perception has altered. i like datas inquisitive nature, rikers smooth confidence and Trois knack for stating the obvious at every possible oppertunity. "he seems angry captain." YA THINK? is that why he's shooting at us? lol

lostshaker

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 8:07 pm

Quote: coastcityo @ Jun. 01 2011, 8:14 am

>The problem with her being on the show, is she was so militaristic that her and Worf just kind of seemed like clones of each other, and she was the tactical officer/head of security. Her leaving allowed Worf to take her position and finally get a job... It just allowed them to stabilize the roles of everyone in the second season, as well as allowing Worf to be the character he needed to be.

My thoughts exactly. I was five when season 1 premiered. I liked Riker the first season. Picard was my favorite by season 3... I thought it was cool that Armus killed Yar and that a major character got the red shirt treatment. It's a raw death with no blaze of glory. Although most will think it blasphemy, I wish Kirk died by a phaser blast rather than falling off a bridge. I love it that he died saving hundreds of millions with little acknowledgement... takes it back to the beginning.

Sora

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 7:41 am

Well I can understand what you're saying about Yar and Kirk, because I suppose that's far more realistic.

konarciq

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 8:10 am

I didn´t watch (or know) anything about ST until a year ago, but when I started watching (yes, TNG was the first), I started watching them in order, starting with the first season. So I have no idea what people thought about her back in 1987, but personally, I liked her very much. Even though character development was shaky and somewhat shallow in the first season, one of the reasons I liked her was because she was so different from the other somewhat stereotypical female characters on the show (Deanna, Crusher). Here was a girl (or tom-boy) who stood up for herself and for anyone in her care, and wasn´t so wholly dependent on others (read: men) to protect her.

As for Worf and Tasha being clones... hardly! LOL

I´m sure that - if she had not made the decision to leave the show - they would have found some other redivision of responsibilities that would have given each and every one of the main cast a separate field. It´s my impression that things just hadn´t been thoroughly thought through in season 1 (I believe Worf was added as an afterthought, right?). Once they all had begun to settle a bit in their character, I´m sure they´d have found a way of giving both Tasha and Worf their own specialization. Even if it meant changing their initial field (like Geordi - from helmsman to chief engineer).

Vger23

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 9:38 am

Quote: Sora @ May. 31 2011, 7:51 pm

>I have no idea. I was actually the born the day AFTER season 2 ended. Does anyone hear remember watching TNG Season 1 when it originally aired. Was Tasha Yar a popular character? Were many people sad to see her go?

No. At the time, she was not a very well-deveolped or appreciated character. I think her greatest noteriety was that she was a major character that was killed off mid-season.

I also agree that having Tasha and Worf in the same cast was redundant. Worf had far more potential than Tasha as a character, and that certainly paid off later.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

konarciq

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 9:54 am

I certainly won´t dispute that Worf´s character had great potential (though IMHO, the way we got to see his development often had the character of a bad soap opera...).

The main difference between him and Tasha is that we got to witness his character development, and we never got the chance to see Tasha´s. She may be less interesting a character than Worf (to some people - personally, I´m not a great fan of Worf´s...), but she certainly had potential. The fairly abundant fanfiction about her (and I don´t mean the also available mere Data/Tasha fluff) lends credibility to that.

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid