Do you like La Forge better as a bridge officer or a chief engineer?

Created by: the bungalo bill

the bungalo bill

Report this May. 29 2011, 9:05 am

I liked him better as a bridge officer. I feel that they made him a chief engineere for two reasons:

1.To let Wesley Crusher on the bridge

2.Because  they didn't already have one

Fflanders

Report this May. 29 2011, 9:23 am

As much as I dislike Crusher, I prefer La Forge in engineering. On the bridge all he could do was sit in the chair and repeat what the capt was saying. But in engineering he could prove that he's a better officer.

As for the bridge staff, I could've done without Picard or Crusher.

captain saavik

Report this May. 29 2011, 11:21 am

chief engiineer he was much more helpful .

lostshaker

Report this May. 29 2011, 11:33 am

While I liked the in joke of a blind man flying the ship, La Forge was better placed in engineering, as opposed to the engineer of the week. The first season went through Chief Engineers like TOS went through red shirts.

CaptainMauin

Report this May. 29 2011, 9:29 pm

La Forge was definitely better as a Chief Engineer. He didn't have near enough to do on the bridge. Basically, it looked like he just sat there the whole time. At least in Engineering La Forge had something to do. Being in engineering also allowed them to develop his character better. Somehow, if La Forge had remained on the bridge, I don't see him becoming as good a character as he did as the Chief Engineer.

Goodbye. I am gone.

the bungalo bill

Report this May. 29 2011, 9:39 pm

Quote: lostshaker @ May. 29 2011, 11:33 am

>The first season went through Chief Engineers like TOS went through red shirts.

Although I agree, I still like him better on the bridge.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this May. 30 2011, 1:52 am

lostshaker

Report this May. 30 2011, 7:04 am

Quote: iBorg13 @ May. 30 2011, 1:52 am

>Engineering. He had more to do, imo... La Forge was never a particularly interesting character and he just didn't have enought 'to him' when he was on the bridge.

I disagree with LaForge not being particularly interesting. He was a passionate engineer, a great example of why 24th Century humans don't need currency - they gravitate to occupations that excite them as opposed to occupations that merely paid the bills. And there are many instances where LaForge has a single scene that is a pure character moment, which transcends an episode dedicated to the character. For example, Geordi competing with a fellow engineer over starship efficiency... or "New Ground" when he states, "A ship just generates a Soliton Wave and then rides it through space like a surfboard. This is going to be like being there to watch Chuck Yeager break the sound barrier, or Zefram Cochrane engage the first warp drive." On that last note, I loved it in First Contact that Geordi accomplished just that.

lizzyp2011

Report this May. 30 2011, 8:18 am

I thought he was best on either the Bridge or in engineering, Crusher is ok but too young to be either in my opinion, even though he is extremely brilliant.

Lt_Sears

Report this May. 30 2011, 7:30 pm

I like La Forge as a Deck Officer he took the edge off Wesley crusher.

Crusher got too big for his britches I thought. Glad he ascended or whatever

he did.

KelisThePoet

Report this May. 31 2011, 12:00 am

This is a real problem with The Next Generation, for me.  While Geordi's character definitely became better and more individualized when he moved to engineering, I kind of wish the series had introduced a new major character to be chief engineer--one who had always been an engineer and felt sort of called to be so.  Scotty, B'Elanna, Trip--these guys seemed to live for engineering, to define themselves primarily as engineers.  Sometimes Geordi did too, in the later episodes, but I have a hard time buying it in this case, because he used to be just a guy on the bridge.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

Borg-81of1138

Report this May. 31 2011, 12:22 am

I thought he was more comfortable in his skin in the role of chief engineer.  I know that his character was named after a dying child and they wanted to name a crew pilot after him, which was a nice thought.  However, LeVar Burton is known for having an interest in physics, so he was a tad more natural in the role of chief engineer.  Hell, I remember as a child, first learning about tachyons from listening Geordi La Forge go on about them.  In all, I guess I feel that chief engineer is a much more important role, as that's the core of the ship, and Burton deserved a role of importance in the series.

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'

konarciq

Report this May. 31 2011, 4:49 am

The change was a bit abrupt and (I think) somewhat unexplained, but I did like him better in his Chief Engineer role. More to contribute. And the Enterprise needed a main cast engineer - wasn´t very believable to go through so many different chief engineers as in the first season... You keep wondering what happened to them...

Feesch

Report this May. 31 2011, 11:32 am

"I'm losing it!" -ship explodes just as antitime anomaly collapses-

(That's a refferal link I include with my posts, btw)

Watch it, pinkskin!

Caalma

Report this May. 31 2011, 1:02 pm

i thought that he was better as engineer cuz it made his relationship with DATA better. that is one of my favorite things about TNG. Geordi and DATA's friendship. It made more scenes for them together.

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

Users browsing this forum: 22123magic