The use of colors

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this May. 28 2011, 9:17 pm

Hey guys how are you, been away for a long time but am back now with a topic that might work.  Let's see if it does.  So here is the thing I have read the topic about how the show probably would have been done in BnW if it was made a little earlier so I was thinking about that a bit and I came up with this question.

Do you think that the set designers use of many colors on the ship (instrument panels and so forth) was done intentional because of the fact that the show wasn't done in Black and white?  Do you think in their own way they were going for the "Wizard of Oz" reaction?  Prior to star trek we were given mostly two color ship sets (i.e. twilight zone episodes, lost in space)  What do you guys think about this?

melana1

Report this May. 29 2011, 7:51 am

You have to remember a show or movie is based on the decade/time it's produced in. During the late sixties it was all about color.Check out the fashions and even some decor during that time. During the 70's people moved more toward earthtones, so you still saw color but alot of  greens, browns and yellows. That decor that people think is so awful from that 70's era decorated house was pretty chic back then. Again, look at the fashions. The 80's went from neon,anybody remeber that fad! To pastels, thanks MiamiVice!Love Vice by the way, alot of grays and blacks for the men and working stiffs to bold colors into the  nineties.That's why with the Star Trek movie it didn't suprise me to see what I call the Apple Istore bridge. It's a reflection of the times. I bet the younguns didn't blink an eye. But the first time I saw it I thought I was going to go blind. I prefer the rich hues and tones of the original show.

" You either believe in yourself, or you don't".

Fflanders

Report this May. 29 2011, 10:18 am

"We have them just where they want us."

Spock's Brain

Report this May. 30 2011, 12:47 pm

According to one book I read, the thing that saved the show from cancelation after season one was the fact that NBC was owned by RCA.  The theory was that Star Trek being so colorful helped sell color TVs.  I don't know if this was a planned selling point or not or if the theory is true.

dog faced boy

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 30 2011, 3:25 pm

They called it the 'Finnerman lighting' after Gary Finnerman. But many who worked on set give credit to Bob Justman because it was his ideas which Finnerman expertly implimented.

guillermo.mejía

Report this May. 30 2011, 7:45 pm

Personally, having seen what amore 'normally colored' bridge would look like, I hands down prefer the colored TOS approach.

Perhaps if J.J. Abrahams gets rid off the solar flare glare all over the bridge, I may change my mind, but I doubt it. Although modern and cool, if the intention of the modern bridge design was to give as a nostalgic feel and yet be modern for the new millenium....it kinda didn't accomplish that. Too crowded.

melana1

Report this May. 31 2011, 11:17 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>TOS was indeed colorful because of the time in which it aired. This was the psychedelic sixties and flower power, peace, love and rainbows were extremely popular. Somewhere I might still have my purple floppy hat.

It had nothing to do with the flower power era, but everything to do with that newfangled wonder of the early to mid-1960's, the color television.

Yes that's also true, but to paraphrase Einstein, "everything is related". You can argue it was just technological coincidence that color t.v. came out at this time but it still fits into the paradigm. You still have to show something on that set. There were other shows on during the early days of t.v. that weren't nearly that colorful, so I agree with you, I also know about RCA, but it goes deeper than that. You always want to attract an audience, a demographic, what are they doing? What are they into? The world was entering another era, a new decade that was a heck of alot different than the one that came before. A new consciousness,there was sci-fi before. But Star Trek was something new no one had seen before and some didn't understand.It's more popular now than it was then. But fortunately it developed that core audience/fan base that continues today. Yes color t.v. manufacturers are going to see an opportunity like any corporation to cash in, but they didn't think up the show, what are they cashing in on? I'm sure Gene Roddenberry and the other people involved in the show didn't sit around thinking as their primary script tool let's make color t.v. pop. But I am sure they took advantage of it to propel their show. Much like George Lucas and THX and CGI(much which was created at Lucasfilms by the way) I'm just saying there's cause and effect.You can look at the results but where did it come from? Now I know that's out there for some people but I think some sci-fi fans will get what I'm trying to say.

" You either believe in yourself, or you don't".

Beersnark

Report this May. 31 2011, 4:27 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Also, 2001 SO had a big influence, hence the wide use of primary colors. Red, blue and yellow are the colors of the EVA suites in 2001.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Fflanders

Report this May. 31 2011, 9:09 pm

Bright colors were everywhere, our clothes, our cars and what we watched on TV.

Beersnark

Report this Jun. 01 2011, 6:42 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

2001 wasn't released until 1968, two years after TOS premiered, and after shows like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, The Man From UNCLE, Gunsmoke and Wild Wild West had switched to color.

Production on 2001 started in 1964 and had already started to effect the film and and TV industry before its release.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Beersnark

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Principal filming of 2001 began on December 29, 1965, and effects shooting did not begin until June 1966, at which point TOS was almost certainly in production, getting ready for it's September 1966 debut.

In what way did 2001 affect film and TV prior to it's release, beside the effects breakthroughs that Douglas Trumbull was making during the effects filming process?

Excuse me, I forgot where I was. No, I can not quantify, qualify, or otherwise offer proof for MY OPINION. I watch 2001 and I believe I see what I believe to be influence, in my humble opinion. Feel better? I do.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Beersnark

Report this Jun. 07 2011, 6:39 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>You weren't clear earlier that you were stating opinion, what you said read as a statement of fact.

>Just not sure how you would believe one product could influence another product that was already being made. Did 2001 influence film and TV made after it's completion? Absolutely, no doubt. "Silent Running," "The Starlost," "Space: 1999" and even "Star Wars" for example can trace influnces back to the Kubrick/Clarke masterpiece.

For the same reason I believe Sandra Bullock is madly in love with me....

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Beersnark

Report this Jun. 08 2011, 7:18 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

For the same reason I believe Sandra Bullock is madly in love with me....

Can't be. She's expressed her undying devotion to me many times.

yeah I know, we were just laughing about that in bed last night.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Jun. 10 2011, 8:18 am

Quote: Beersnark @ Jun. 02 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

2001 did not influence TOS but it did TNG.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

justquemee

Report this Jun. 11 2011, 4:58 am

It was age of color tv something brand-new colors of the rainbow.The color of uniforms help remind what the character on the series ,what their job was so you didn't have to guess.

kirk to enterprize ready to beam up

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam