Just finished season 1... I am under-whelmed...

tvz

Report this May. 26 2011, 9:35 am

I have seen most of the TOS, most of the TNG, some of VOY, and more of ENT than I wish I had. I finally got around to watching DS9, which I NEVER have watched prior to buying the season 1 box-set. I am done with season1, and I have a few observations..

1) The relationship between Quark and Odo is highly amusing, and enjoyable. I love the chemisty these 2 characters have with one another. They are such polar opposites, that watching them butt heads, and watching Quark try to outsmart Odo is great tv, IMO. I also enjoyed Nog and Rom as wel.

2) Major Kira sort of grew on me as the season progressed. "Duet" and "Progress" which both featured Kira, were 2 of my favorite ep. of the season.

3) However, Sisko, Dax, Bashir, Jake, and OBrien, IMO were totally cardboard characters. I couldnt get into these characters at all. They did nothing for me. Maybe these characters become more developed and interesting later, but IMO theyre not that interesting yet.

4) There seemed to a recurring theme on DS9, season 1, with viruses/outbreaks occuring on the ship. One outbreak made everyone lose their ability to speak. One made everyones imagination come to life. One made the computer system go haywire. etc. Geez.

5) The lack of exploration of new worlds disappointed me. Yeah, I know theyre on a space station, but still..it felt lacking in this way.

So, anyone agree? Disagree? Should I keep watching?

SLagonia

Report this May. 26 2011, 10:35 am

You'll probably be under-whelmed with season two as well (you could probably skip half of it and not miss anything).  Then it starts to get good in season three.  By the time you hit four and five, you'll be glued to your chair, and six and seven are pretty close to perfection.

Dendodge

Report this May. 26 2011, 10:39 am

Yeah, keep watching.  Like most other Star Trek series, the first couple of seasons aren't so good.

But it gets a hell of a lot better by season 3, and improves exponentially from there.

That said, with DS9 it's important to get the background information from the first couple of seasons - without it, much of the character and plot development will be lost on you.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 26 2011, 2:24 pm

Yeah pretty much what they said, keep watching and the other characters really come to life with more great characters and story lines as DS9 progresses.

coastcityo

Report this May. 26 2011, 3:35 pm

Keep watching it without skipping the second season, this is a show that is constantly building, and should be watched through from the beginning to the end at least once to truly get the full effect. The misses and I are watching through from the beginning again, her third full viewing, while I'm on something like six or seven myself, and I do think the rewards of the show make it worth getting all the way through.

You will probably continue to enjoy the characters you already like, Kira, Odo and Quark, and Rom and Nog really evolve as the show progresses.

Bashir gets better with time as he loses some of his smugness. The writers talk about how the beginning of the show making Julian hated was a goal in order to break him down, and then rebuild him as they went along. Plus, his friendship with Garak is something fun to see evolve, but then again Garak is one of my favorite Trek characters of all time.

Dax was the last actor brought on to the show as a replacement for the original actress hired to play the Trill, and that kind of slows down her development in the beginning. That along with having to make up the rules for Trills almost entirely, since they had so little to work with as the show begins, other than a single TNG episode, and Trills evolved quite a bit from this origin.

I would say just keep watching it from the beginning, and just get through the eps you're no too fond of while watching the characters grow, and then enjoy the rewards later on as the show really takes off.

I know I'm not unbiased, as this is my all time favorite Trek, but I do think that DS9 had the best first three seasons of any of the four modern era Trek franchises. I stopped and could never return to Voyager about six episodes in. Enterprise was nearly the same, but I have gone back and enjoyed a few here and there. Mostly the Andorian and Tellarite eps. TNG has some serious dogs in those first three seasons, especially that season two clip show posing as a season finale. Man, that really sucked.

Exok

Report this May. 26 2011, 5:32 pm

Well, the first seasons of DS9 are better than the first seasons of TNG.

It gets better.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 26 2011, 6:10 pm

Quote: tvz @ May. 26 2011, 9:35 am

>So, anyone agree? Disagree? Should I keep watching?

Yes. Keep watching. I would seriously recommend either one of two things:

* Start with either fourth season or fifth, and then go back to see the earlier seasons. You will be better able to appreciate them that way.

* Keep on watching through the entire run, but after you finish 7, go back and rewatch the first season. Again -- it's better once you know the characters.

Season One i would rate as the least "serious", in the sense that the truly epic storylines reach their apex at around late 5th, early 6th seasons. But certainly, stick with it.

The tone of DS9 is very different, because they don't bugger off from the latest "new world" at the end of every episode. I think you may find it has its advantages -- what DS9 does is to explore the character interactions in great detail.

Maybe that's not your thing -- but I would say, don't give up, or you'll miss out on some really good stuff.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

Report this May. 26 2011, 6:11 pm

Quote: Exok @ May. 26 2011, 5:32 pm

>Well, the first seasons of DS9 are better than the first seasons of TNG.

>It gets better.

Love TNG but yeah I would have to agree with that.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Magnoodle

Report this May. 27 2011, 8:32 am

It gets better and better!  The character all develp pretty well even a large cast of secondary characters develops that are just as brilliant.  As far as exploration goes.  I like to think of DS9 as less about new worlds and more about new ways of looking at the old ones; it's about character dynamics, cultural clashes and politics, idealism vs realism, morality etc. Things get pretty intense and hard to turn away from.

Early each morning he searched for her Til his feet become bloody and tired Her hologram photo stayed near to him Buried deep in the pits of his heart

OtakuJo

Report this May. 27 2011, 6:46 pm

Quote: Magnoodle @ May. 27 2011, 8:32 am

>As far as exploration goes.  I like to think of DS9 as less about new worlds and more about new ways of looking at the old ones; it's about character dynamics, cultural clashes and politics, idealism vs realism, morality etc.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'd have to say also that as a history buff I like the epic political / historical backdrop of DS9, while I do see that it is not for everyone. The exploration of original series, TNG and Voyager is great, but single episodes really can only skim the surface of new cultures they encounter. Even those who appear in multiple episodes of these other series (like Cardassians and Klingons) are explored in absolutely exquisite detail in DS9.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

MANTEQUILLA

Report this May. 27 2011, 8:40 pm

DS-9 IS MY FAV. STAR TREK SERIES, THAT SAID YES STICK WITH IT. DS-9 HAS THE BEST FINAL SEASON OF ALL THE SERIES. IF I TOLD YOU WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FINAL 8 EPISODES YOU WOULD BE BLOWN AWAY, BUT I'M NOT GONNA RUIN IT FOR YOU. YES THE 1ST. FEW SEASONS ARE SLOW. TO ME DS-9 IS THE THINKING MANS SERIES, BUT IT COMES ON STRONG. ONE THING I CAN TELL YOU THAT WON'T RUIN ANYTHING IS THAT WHEN NEXT GEN. FINISHES, WORF AND CHIEF O'BRIAN JOIN THE SERIES. SO AGAIN YES STICK WITH IT TRUST ME YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 27 2011, 8:52 pm

...Although to correct you on one little thing: O'Brien was with DS9 from its very first episode. (Worf from the beginning of Season Four.) I've heard it said that Way of the Warrior is actually a good place to start with, for TNG fans at least.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

RedShirtGuyNumber1001

POSTS: 2016

Report this May. 28 2011, 9:08 pm

Hey guys long time no see, hope all is well.  I can't wait until October when DS9 is on Netflix instant viewing.  No more scratched DVD's and no more waiting.  Anyhow yeah stick with it, if you keep watching by the end of season 1 you will learn that DS9 will be much different than expected, and that the series won't be all cutesy stuffed animals and rainbows like TNG was for the most part.  Watch it all and you'll thank me later.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this May. 28 2011, 9:25 pm

Yeah, part of the first season was a little... bad. But I encourage you to continue, things really start to pick up around season 4/5ish! I also advise you not to skip automatically to s4, there are a few important factors of DS9 that will be established in seasons 2 and 3, also, theres a few gems in there that you can't miss (example: season 2's "The Wire", one of the best in all DS9).
Dam! Just remembered, I lent my season 2 dvds to my cousins husband in january! Still haven't gotten them back!

the bungalo bill

Report this May. 28 2011, 9:34 pm

When you think about it, this is how it works in TNG and TOS; Picard/Kirk goes somewhwere, solves most of their problems, and then warps away into the distance. On DS9, you really get a chance to see the consequences of Sisko,s actions. Unfortunately, this doesn't start happening until seasons 4-7. I think you should keep watching.

Users browsing this forum: corndogs