How great of an antagonist was Malik?

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 25 2011, 5:32 am

Malik was the principle antagonist in the 3 augment episodes of ENT season 4.  He was ruthless: torturing people, willing to commit genocide, and killed his brother and lover.  He was also highly intelligent and driven.  So how wrapped up did you get in the character?  Was he uninspired?  Was he as memorable as Khan?

lostshaker

Report this May. 25 2011, 8:00 am

Malik was good for the episode, but he wasn't Khan. I loved his fight with Archer aboard the space station... A part of me wishes the Augment Arc was the show's series premiere, but that's because I love the episode so much.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this May. 25 2011, 12:51 pm

Khan was a leader in TOS.

Malik was a mad dog his path had to lead to destruction.

In TWOK Khan had gone Mad Dog if he had gotten a ship prior to the destruction of Ceti Alpha 6 I think the Federation would have been in trouble

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 25 2011, 8:07 pm

Comparing Space Seed to the ENT augments, I say Malik was a much better antagonist than Khan though the actor certainly can't compare in persoanl charisma.  I think the ENT episodes very much captured the feel of TWOK with Malik and Khan being equal mad dogs though I personally would be more afraid of facing Malik.  Khan could at least eventually be reasoned with in Space Seed, there was no reasoning with Malik.

guillermo.mejía

Report this May. 25 2011, 8:27 pm

To be perfectly honest, Malik was the superior antagonist. He was ruthless and pretty much barbaric, to the point where even Arik Soong was forced to help in his defeat. In short, he is, to me, the perfect representation of the enhanced humans we hear so much about from the Eugenics Wars. You see how Malik is and you have no problem understanding why they began fighting amongst themselves. These episodes were a highlight of ENT for me.

Khan is more of the exception to the rule. He is not as malicious or evil as the super men are suppose to be. He inspires trust and hope in his followers and has a certain code of morals by which he abides. Even in TWOK, he is the antagonist for just reasons. Who WOULDn't be pissed if you were left on a planet and Kirk it seems, didn't even have the bloody decency to notify Starfleet "hey dudes, there's a bad guy living there now. try not to visit". But isntead Khan gets what is perhaps a greater insult. He is ignored and forgotten to badly that Starfleet failed to notice a planet had blown up and the system looked different as it must have been from previous star charts.

lostshaker

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:56 pm

I wish to elaborate on my earlier post, and specify ^ reason for why Malik doesn't compare with Khan. Khan's charm made you believe he could be and was ruler... it also speaks to Kirk's line "We can be against him and admire him at the same time," in "Space Seed". With Malik, you can really only be against him, because he's so ruthless.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this May. 26 2011, 1:59 am

Definately not as memorable as Khan, because I had to click on the thread and read before remembering who Malik was.
Thinking back, I think Malik was a formidable and interesting enemy for the crew of the NX-01... Khan had a certain distguish about him, he didn't go around randomly killing with little reason. He was more of a real leader, Malik was young... and however smart he was, not quite an ideal leader.

He was a bit of a dick, too.

guillermo.mejía

Report this May. 26 2011, 3:40 pm

No argument there. I agree with you and Kirk on this one.

Now the question I think that naturally comes out of this is, Who would win, Khan or Malik, all things being equal of course.

24thcenstfan

Report this Jun. 02 2011, 4:42 pm

I think he was an okay antagonist, but not as commanding and searing in presence as Khan.  Malik is also somewhat forgettable as a villain.  I had to do a quick name check on him to remember who he was from the series.

However, Khan did not have as much screen presence as a villain in “Space Seed” as he did in TWOK.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Ghostmojo

Report this Jun. 03 2011, 3:05 am

Somebody is going to have to remind me who Malik is/was. I've watched a lot of ENT - but not all of them. If I did see him and have forgotten - he can't have been that memorable ...

Matthias Russell

Report this Jun. 03 2011, 4:45 am

I think it unfair to compare them based upon "more memorable" since many fans didn't even watch ENT.  Khan was a effective leader but I think TWOK is what really concreted him, not so much space seed.  Malik was a force of nature who couldn't be reasoned with but was cunning and even surprising in his brutality.  Would the character have been created without the popularity of Khan?  No.  But as guillermo said, he wa the kind of single-minded brute you expect from an augment.  If more fans watched ENT, he no doubt would have achieved a kind of iconic status.

guillermo.mejía

Report this Jun. 03 2011, 4:50 am

Well you'd think only those who know who Malik is would be weighing in on this conversation. This the ENT section after all.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jun. 03 2011, 10:28 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jun. 03 2011, 4:45 am

Thanks for the link/prompt. Yes I do remember that character now. I don't think he was anything special. Another psychopathic baddie ... the galaxy is full of them.

Khan is more striking and powerful, not so much because the character was so memorable from the series - but because Montalban put his heart and soul into a truly monumental (and possibly unexpected) performance in the film. In many ways his passionate rendering of what acting is all about throws into sharp contrast why so much later Trek was so forgetable. Ricardo was an old-fashioned seasoned actor with real stage presence. Ditto Plummer, Lloyd and Warner in their respective roles.

Sadly, most of TV and even the movies is bereft of such charismatic talent these days.

You only have to look at the piss poor rendering of Kirk by Chris Pine - all testosterone-driven, rebel, hard-luck hero cliche and not an ounce of soul or character.

The difference between archetype and stereotype is lost on them. Shatner's Kirk was the former - Pine's the latter. The same applies to Khan and Malik to some extent.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Matthias Russell

Report this Jun. 03 2011, 11:09 am

You are right.  There is a special quality abou tthose olden actors that was more artistic than the newer breed for the most part.  Khan was all about the actor and not the character to me.

Kaliman

Report this Jun. 06 2011, 2:01 pm

I do not think Mallik even deserves a thread of his own. Lets focus on real antagonists like Silik

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam, Drunkin Druid, wissa