What is the one issue you have with Star Trek?

sweatervested1

Report this May. 25 2011, 4:43 am

I have always loved the series (will always love the series,) but the one issue I have is that the Federation is too much like a One World Government. The day Earth becomes a One World Government is the day we lose our Freedom. Michael Eddington said it best:

Why should one civilization hold another one back? If the US government would stop spending our money on these third world countries. Think what we could do with that money. Advancements in Space Exploration? No, lets send billions of our hard earned money to countries that want to nuke us, because some-thing called "allah" told them to do it. "Allah," hadn't told them sh.it. If the US wants to send them something, I have an idea. Send them some books. Help those, who help themselves.

REMEMBER THE ICONIANS.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 25 2011, 6:04 am

Oh goody a thread for all the fans who love to hate Trek...

My only complaint is they arent currently making any more Trek right now, but thats not strictly true with more films in the pipeline, so instead Ill complain that I dont know of any ideas being chucked around a TV execs suite over a possible new series.

OtakuJo

Report this May. 25 2011, 6:07 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ May. 25 2011, 4:43 am

>I have always loved the series, but the one issue I have is that the Federation is to much like a One World Government for me. Michael Eddington said it best:

>"Michael Eddington: You know, in some ways you're worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious... you assimilate people and they don't even know it."

Ooh I love that quote.

The "One World" government of the Federation is something that I have also found remarkably problematic at times.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

lligevets

Report this May. 25 2011, 6:13 am

We’ve been boarded self-destruct sequence initiated. WTF I hated that most of time it was easy as baking a pie to take over a federation star ship.

lostshaker

Report this May. 25 2011, 7:52 am

Eddington's quote is cool, even if dark. But I don't believe Earth operates with the conventional vertical approach under one government, and this is to be differentiated from the Federation's Organizational Structure. United Earth has been established by the 2150's and indirect evidence suggests an inclusive democracy where power is held directly be the people on a local level. If this isn't the case, then I'd take issue with humans not living up to their self enhancement philosophy.

lostshaker

Report this May. 25 2011, 8:51 am

From an engineering stand point, I do wish the shows were better at addressing how alien technology is always so easily adapted to Federation Technology... even if it were as simple as having a 24th Century equivalent as duct tape.

Caalma

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:09 am

more cowbell...

they really should have explored the room a little and used more cowbell!

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

Treknoir

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:24 am

*hoping this thread doesn't degenerate into a political rant*

The Federation is a republic with local governments having semi-autonomy. The concept doesn't bother me. in fact, a one world government doesn't bother me either. The form of government is what matters.

I agree about the Federation's magical ability to adapt alien technology. Seriously?

I have many small issues with ST. Lack of safety retraints on the bridge. Every dang body speaking English. The PD.

I just chalk it all up to being good fiction limited by human experience and perhaps arrogance.

Treknoir

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:31 am

Quote: Caalma @ May. 25 2011, 9:09 am

>more cowbell...

>they really should have explored the room a little and used more cowbell!

>but seriously, i wish they wouldn't have made Enterprise a prequel. That followed along with all that other prequel crap and that isn't what Trek is about. Star Trek was always ahead of the game and Enterprise ended that. and ended the TV franchise IMHO.

LOL Always.

jamesspock1

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:47 am

lostshaker

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:54 am

Quote: jamesspock1 @ May. 25 2011, 9:47 am

>That they have destroyed 43 years of fictional history, and that reboot was more based on Star Wars than Star Trek.

I was debating that point. But including Abrams' movie would be too much like acknowledging that it offers any contributive value. And that's something I simply will never do.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 25 2011, 10:58 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>The one thing I really have issue with in the Trekverse is the seeming inconsistency or lack of knowledge or commitment to Starfleet being a military organization.  Ranks are confusing and inconsistent, eg. Chief O'Brien, the CO of a Flagship should be an Admiral or Commodore and issues along those lines.

I thought it was only a Commodore for an Admiral or Captain of a fleet?

As for adapting alien technology, often it couldnt be on Voyager and the crew of DS9 was always complaining about the 'infernal Cardassian technology', not to mention the wierd stuff from the Gamma Quadrant they didnt attempt to adapt. I think that was as far as they could have gone with the differences in technology and make the plotlines work.

Anyway, if NASA could literally manage to put a square peg in a round hole and save their crew, Starfleet engineers really should be as inventive as they were in adapting other technologies.

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

Trekker_Tokyo

Report this May. 25 2011, 2:11 pm

One problem I have is that it is not on tv right now.

dyingpens

Report this May. 25 2011, 7:54 pm

I'm bitter that Starfleet Academy does not exist yet.  You know I'd sign up on the spot.

Lt_Sears

Report this May. 25 2011, 10:22 pm

The one thing I didn't care for about Star Trek TNG and Atlantis was the way they

rode Lt. Worfs Honor to death, Atlantis did the same with the wraith.

"Second star to the right and straight on til morning" James T. KIrk Undiscovered country