Who would've thunk it?

Milo T'Kairum Vega

Report this May. 17 2011, 9:02 am

I might be blugeoned to death by the fan-mob for even suggesting this. But it's a legitimate possibility.

How much further is the Star Trek franchise going to be able to stretch? Already they've passed up so many great idea's for movies to create one's that will only last for two or years before the majority is calling out for something new. How many more plots do they honestly have to fill that demand of epic proportions? For the Star Trek fandom is indeed, of epic proportions now-a-days. Or so it appears to be. This new generation of kid's, teen's, and adults have had the great luck of being a part of the still on-going effort, they've had the opportunity to get involved with those great series' that began the entire thing. But how much longer are they going to keep it up?

How far into the future do you think Star Trek will truly reach?

In my honest opinion, perhaps I'm being narrow-minded, but I do not see Star Trek within the next 60-100 years. I see the franchise panicking for idea's and flopping due to the lack of integrity and purpose within the movie's they come out with. I see the fandom going mad and world domination occuring...I kid, but hey? Why not. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe TOS, TNG, DS9 and all of those series' of the past will keep it alive, perhaps sites like this will keep it going.

But what is your personal opinion of this? Have you ever thought about it just randomly? Do you care to?

It's just a disappointing thought to me.

Treknoir

Report this May. 17 2011, 10:33 am

Nothing lasts forever and as humans move out into space and make other advancements the interest in ST will probably wane.

How far ST can go in the interim will depend on who is at the controls over the franchise.

Current canon only explores a fraction of the galaxy with a super small segment of its population represented in series and movies. I imagine that TPTB will have to tell the story of space exploration and adventure from different crews and different time periods. Perhaps even move out of the galaxy. Perhaps write niche books that cater to hardcore fans who may want stories about specific ST cultures that's only tangentially tied back to SF and UFP.

There really is lot that can be done. But the questions are will it be done and will it be done well?

Who knows.

Vger23

Report this May. 17 2011, 10:57 am

Treknoir

Report this May. 17 2011, 12:21 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 17 2011, 10:57 am

>If they would make a movie or TV series that had Dr. Bashir, Kes, Geordi, and Captain Archer fighting  a war of galactic scope against the Borg, Klingons, Species 8472, and the Pakleds...and it has lots of time-travel and political intrigue in it...THEN Star Trek would last FOREVER!!!!!!

>Star Trek can go on forever. As long as there is an appetite for material, it will continue to be produced. Do I think that will happen? No. After all, all good things must come to an end.

Don't laugh. Right this very instant a fan writer is putting all of that together. Plus, Kirk and Data will be resurrected into one superbeing called Dirk.

Ye of little faith.

MrMordenandAssociates

Report this May. 17 2011, 12:45 pm

Milo T'Kairum Vega

Report this May. 18 2011, 8:37 am

xDD I had to laugh, that's nice Vger,

Why only two more movies? And no more series'? What if I want a series that follows the exploration of an Enterprise re-make under the command of an Andorian captain with a Vulcan first officer and a kling-on doctor? Who says that I might not get a little bigger and make it? It might be a hit, it might fall so below the Earth's surface that no one knew it even existed.

Or maybe I want six more movies, four of them being wretched and horrible up till the very last two when they'll suddenly become worth my while. What if the entire fanbase decides to simply screw paramount and viacom and take over the Star Trek franchise for themselves?

Thus world domination would ensue, but otherwise!

I can't imagine the movie-goers being satisfied with just two more movies, and I'm not sure of the entire populace. But I'm pretty aware of a very many fans pushing for some sort of new series, though I'm not privy to any scrupulous details. I myself honestly would not mind seeing something new, as long as it's new and not recycled and dressed up as something it's not. Which I think director's are finding harder to do the more they come up with, all the idea's are being taken and twisted around so much that before long there wont' be anything left!

I've always been slightly curious about the outcome of a purely fan-based movie. Professionally directed, but the plot would come from the Star Trek fanbase, or maybe a public competition to see which fan-idea is most attractive to the peers. With the way things are going I wouldn't be shocked if it happened, though I can see many people being unhappy about such a thing also.

I don't know, I'm just intriguied by that sort of thing personally :/

Oh and Treknoir, have I told you how awesome you are yet? Call me a sucker but dang, almost every single comment you make has me laughing or giggling over nothing at all. It's madness I say!

wissa

Report this May. 18 2011, 8:48 am

fandom like this is really a product of the last 50 years or so.  Makes it hard to predict what the future will hold.  Is fandom just a societal blip that will disapear?  or is it here to stay?

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Milo T'Kairum Vega

Report this May. 18 2011, 8:50 am

fandom may remain, but in my opinion the franchise will eventually fall.

I believe that fandom will remain alive for as long as there are fan's out there, but that doesn't mean that Star Trek itself will survive.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this May. 18 2011, 9:00 am

As long as the books are published and purchased Trek will live.

Treknoir

Report this May. 18 2011, 9:39 am

What can I say, Milo? I have a silly gene and it's active.

Ghostmojo

Report this May. 18 2011, 1:24 pm

Quote: MrMordenandAssociates @ May. 17 2011, 12:45 pm

>Two more movies and that is the end. No more series. So we have until 2014 or 2015.

I guess that is the likely outcome.

For me - in the movies at any rate - it only really has any resonance if it relates to the original characters. I'd prefer the original guys but clearly this is no longer an option.

I actually think that should be the end. Cinematic Trek outings have to be significant and deal with important, popular and meaningful pop culture - and apart from the briefest of moments when it clicked for Picard - this has only ever meant TOS.

However, when it comes to the telly - I suppose anything is possible...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

megan512

Report this May. 18 2011, 7:15 pm

I believe that Star Trek will eventually end. I hope it doesn't, because it's so great, but I don't feel that as many people are interested in it right now. The new movie was great for bringing in fans, but I feel that new fans wouldn't be as dedicated in keeping the franchise going.

Maybe after the new movies are over finished, we'll get a new series, but I view that as highly unlikely.

Blockman

Report this May. 19 2011, 4:28 am

I don't think any franchise can ever really die. Even if at some point it dies down, I think you'd be surprised at how many of the small "cult" franchises out there have still managed to gain even minor publications, or even small gatherings from their community of devoted fans.

Milo T'Kairum Vega

Report this May. 19 2011, 8:50 am

wissa

Report this May. 19 2011, 9:10 am

Quote: Milo T'Kairum Vega @ May. 19 2011, 8:50 am

>Hmmm, I suspected that things like that exist, though I have no personal experience or knowledge in the area of "cult," franchise's xD

>All I know is that Star Trek has been around since my great-grandma was born, which is obviously awhile. And ever since I found it I've been extremely disappointed with the thought that 'just when I find it, it decides to go under, nice.' I can't even begin to explain how Star Trek has invaded my life, which I'm sure many people can relate to. And the idea of it ever not being here is insane to me now. Yeah I've got plenty of stuff to learn still, more episodes to watch, and series' to rate and understand.

>Alas that will not stop the inevitable, though I think Trekwolf might have a thought. As long as people are still writing books, and those books are interesting to the public than perhaps the ST world will continue. Though I dare say, the few book's I've read and own are some of the best I've read, there are more than that that I haven't even been able to finish. To each their own as I've said before.

your great grandma was born in 1966?

*suddenly feels very, very old*

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image