Request to add a new option to the board

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2011, 5:06 pm

I would like to request the addition of an "ignore" option. I have been on other boards where if I did not care to read the posts of another member (usually a troll) I could choose "ignore" and I would no longer be able to see posts from that member.

I know the mods can't police every thread and handle every complaint quickly. So, giving individual members the option to handle the matter immediately would go a long way in improving everyone's experience on the boards.

I thank you for taking this matter into consideration.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 14 2011, 5:20 pm

That would be a great idea. We have that option on a board I frequent but alas I cant use it as Im a mod   but encouraging others to use it does make an admins life easier as well as those who choose to use it.

Treknoir

Report this May. 14 2011, 5:52 pm

Thanks. I hope they seriously consider the request.

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 14 2011, 5:54 pm

It might be a good idea but I think it is easy enough to ignore the trolls.  Ignoring every comment a certain member leaves could leave you missing valuable parts of conversations where that person contributes something you may highly value.

Treknoir

Report this May. 15 2011, 4:16 pm

I disagree. When I have used the option on other sites it has ONLY been for trolls or members that I do not care to read. Not merely for posters that I disagree with.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this May. 15 2011, 4:21 pm

Fantastic idea.

Would help us to clear out all the dual accounts too.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

CaptainMauin

Report this May. 15 2011, 4:43 pm

That is a good idea. After what happened earlier, I would like to see something like that here.

Having an option to hide the posts of a troll or dual would help greatly, considering I find that it is sometimes hard to ignore them. Being able to hide their posts would help prevent an argument from beginning (or getting worse) as we could click and choose to hide their posts. I can see something like that helping to prevent tempers from flaring when a particularily nasty troll comes along.

Goodbye. I am gone.

Ezri Janeway

Report this May. 15 2011, 5:10 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ May. 14 2011, 5:54 pm

>  Ignoring every comment a certain member leaves could leave you missing valuable parts of conversations where that person contributes something you may highly value.

That should be the individuals choice though. But in most forums 'ignore' can be turned off and on anytime so if a person feels they have missed something important they can always un-ignore for as long as they wish.

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 15 2011, 5:53 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for anything that helps someone enjoy the boards.  If people want such a feature, and it is easily implemented, why not?

Treknoir

Report this May. 16 2011, 8:38 am

Quote: Ezri Janeway @ May. 15 2011, 5:10 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ May. 14 2011, 5:54 pm

Exactly. It's not permanent, but could help diffuse a nasty situation before it gets out of control. A few decent threads have been ruined because one (or more) member wants to be difficult. People would have the option of ignoring for good or per topic.

wissa

Report this May. 16 2011, 3:50 pm

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Treknoir

Report this May. 19 2011, 10:24 am

Quote: wissa @ May. 16 2011, 3:50 pm

>that isn't going to stop people who register a new account to troll.  and it still takes a certain amount of self control not to look.  Then even if you do block then and not look there are still people who are going to quote them and then you would see it.

True, but by that logic banning itself is futile because the troll can just create another username.

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 19 2011, 10:31 am

Can!  Have.  And have repeatedly.

Treknoir

Report this Jun. 19 2011, 7:24 pm

Please. Consider.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jun. 19 2011, 8:07 pm

On some of the other forums that I belong to, some of them have ignore or "foe" options.  Unfortunately, if your ignored person writes something and then someone else you're not ignoring quotes them, you still get their messages.

Saying that, however.... on a board that I used to run, if a person racked up enough people who are ignoring them, they are automatically flagged to see if they're troll.

Users browsing this forum: miklamar