Is the Federation PC or Mac?

Created by: Sigurth

Sigurth

Report this May. 06 2011, 6:09 pm

Do you think the Federation's base and ship computers were PC or MAC descendants?

draeden06

Report this May. 06 2011, 6:52 pm

The touch screen panels remind me of my ipad2, but if MAC wins the computer war, wouldn't the OPS station be called "Apps" instead?

Chief Warrant Officer
Finn

Report this May. 10 2011, 5:40 pm

Interesting tidbit: if you look at the production notes, they used Macintosh computers for most of the animations and LCARS visuals.  PowerMac G4 Cubes were used during the Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Enterprise series for all the animated visuals.

Michael Okuda is also a big fan of the iPad.  So if I had to pick, I'd say Mac.

It's called Ops because Starfleet didn't want to pay royalty licenses to Apple. :Р

Invader_Wishfire

Report this May. 10 2011, 6:48 pm

When part of the computer breaks, they don't have to send the whole ship back to spacedock for repairs; they just replace the broken part. Therefore, I say PC.

Of course, the question is rather redundant, as Macs are PCs.

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

janewayjunkie74656

Report this May. 11 2011, 12:13 am

Lol I say Mac.... more of a smooth, clean appearance to all those LCARs, as opposed to, say, the Klingons.

r3g

Report this May. 11 2011, 12:32 pm

Has to PC. If it were Mac then all of the Federation Starships that have incorporated alien technology into their systems wouldn't have been able to. Would have been no way to make them compatible. And if it were possible I'm sure Jobs would have wanted $19.95 a month per each modification.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this May. 11 2011, 3:31 pm

The Borg are Mac, the Federation is PC.

r3g

Report this May. 12 2011, 4:42 am

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ May. 11 2011, 3:31 pm

>The Borg are Mac, the Federation is PC.

THIS. LOL

jegooden

Report this May. 12 2011, 7:23 pm

I'd like to think that it's PC, but I think it really depends on which ship you look at.

Joseph Gooden She's givin' it all she's got, Captain!!!

r3g

Report this May. 16 2011, 11:32 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Maybe it's the other way around actually.  Both the Mac and PC are descendants of federation tech as we learned in voyager episode "future's end" the computer revolution came when henry starling cannibalized a ship from the future.

The egg came first not the chicken.

Invader_Wishfire

Report this May. 17 2011, 2:15 am

You look like you could use a new interplanetary transport. I have a '96 DY-100 in prime condition if you're interested. Only previous owner was a little old lady that only drove it to Mars on Sundays.

___Lucifer___

Report this May. 17 2011, 2:27 am

Without the timeship aeon there would have been no computer revolution.  Twenth century technology was based off of the that ship's design.  There's just no way around that

God, I hate predestination paradoxes.

Nice call on Chronowerx, Marshall. PC and Mac are the Federation, which is LCARS. It's nice to have a little bit of the future on my desktop.

Chief Warrant Officer
Finn

Report this May. 18 2011, 10:37 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>hmm but how do you get an egg without a chicken man?

Something that wasn't quite a chicken laid the first egg that included just the right amount of genetic mutation to be considered a chicken.

dryson

Report this May. 18 2011, 10:37 pm

I would have to say that each system would be best used to it's potential regarding the system's that each OS could readily handle.

I like PC's because you can upgrade your tower the way that you want to. MAC's provide better visual features such as screen interaction's however.

A bullfrog with a light in its belly is nothing more than a glutton looking to shine otherwise.

starfleet_officer1

Report this May. 22 2011, 3:25 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

The egg came first not the chicken.

hmm but how do you get an egg without a chicken man?

I vote PC, I think they're way more like the Android than the iPhone.

As far as chicken vs egg, I think the egg had to have come first, because if there was a mutation that resulted in the evolution of the chicken, then it would have started with one chicken hatching from an egg of something that was not quite a chicken but almost.  Right?