Why didnt Spock shoot in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Six of Nine

Report this May. 05 2011, 3:08 pm

Discuss

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

2takesfrakes

Report this May. 05 2011, 9:39 pm

There's nothing to discuss, because Spock
explains why he didn't shoot Sybok to Kirk,
when they're in the brig. It's in the movie itself.

While writing the script, Shatner wanted ALL
of the crew to mutiny with Sybok to take over
the ship - including Spock. Nimoy disagreed,
but respected that it was Shatner's movie. So,
he said, if you're going to make Spock betray
the ship, you better make Sybok his brother ...

Vger23

Report this May. 06 2011, 5:23 am

I think it's clear that Spock could not kill ANYONE in cold blood, let alone his half-brother who he grew up admiring a great deal. It's also fairly clear that Spock knew that Sybok would NOT kill HIM, so there would be a time to re-gather and attempt to win control of the ship back.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this May. 06 2011, 9:11 pm

Although it would make no sense for the plot of the movie I think Spock could have taken Sybok into custody, he is a highly trained Starfleet officer after all. I know that they don't find out till later but do you think Spock suspected what Sybok was up to and wanted to see it play out?

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Sigurth

Report this May. 07 2011, 8:20 am

Couldn't Spock have just hit him with the gun? Brothers fight all the time.

2takesfrakes

Report this May. 10 2011, 8:18 pm

They were raised as brothers, for a short time.
But they weren't close, even then, as is evidenced.
It's as Spock told him in the movie: "Sybok, you are
my brother, but you do not know me." As a direct result
of this thread, I watched STAR TREK V, recently. I had
to smirk when Kirk says, "when they put ME out to pasture,
I hope I fair better than Kord." Because he HAS been put to
pasture, but the grazing was NOT good! No good at all ...

janewayjunkie74656

Report this May. 11 2011, 12:08 am

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 06 2011, 5:23 am

That's a good way to put it.....

Vger23

Report this May. 11 2011, 6:52 am

I have to be honest...I actually REALLY like Star Trek V. I think there's some really good content there, despite the surface warts and goofyness.

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Report this Aug. 12 2011, 4:58 am

I know you've heard it b4...but it wasn't in the script.