ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Fan-writers?

Milo T'Kairum Vega

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 81

Report this May. 05 2011, 9:06 am

I looked...5 or 6 pages back and couldn't find anything like this. Either that or I'm stupid and can't understand something I'm reading. Anyway, I just thought I'd throw out a friendly conversation about one of the most controversial subjects in the history of entertainment! 8D


I am a Fan-fiction writer. Proud and Bold, and extremely, extremely out-landish in my idea's and twists on the ST reality. I have about..."Eleven" of my own ST: Series' that I have created, all of them are based on my own fantasies and random idea's. 4-5 of them are based on trilogy form. I'm also a role-player(and glad,) therefore at times I can rouse an ST conversation from the boards, but not very often. So why not try here? I'm relatively new, I've been joined since December of last year, but haven't done anything because I'm a yellow-bellied fool who is virtually afraid of huge communities like this. Roleplaying is a little different.


I like meeting new people, so I'll start with one of my favorite subjects. Fan-fiction.


I'm a member of FF.net and Dev.ART, the two only places that I write. I'm primarily an ST fan as of the middle of last year, and have been an avid one ever since. I have no problem saying that yes, I am obsessed. Very much so in fact. But, do you write? I know I'm not the only one. But I like hearing about the idea's and theories of other people, enjoying what other people create. I know, there's a whole genre of ST fan-fiction out there to buy from your neighborhood book store. But I'm talking about the Online community of writers.


What kind of writer are you? Which series do you prefer to write about? Are you the type of person that throws your own character into the story? Or can you not stand people who do that? Do you write your own biography about certain characters? Or do you have your own ST universe you write about? Are you a time-traveler? Do you get the chance to personally interact with the ST cast?


Let's have a friendly conversation. Even though It's no doubt already been done. It hasn't been done by me, and I adore stirring the pot :3 And maybe, while we're at it I can get a better idea of the people here, and maybe make a friend or two.


????


 

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this May. 05 2011, 9:45 am

Here's my take on fanfiction, and I'm sure it's bound to rub some people the wrong way:


I define "fan fiction" as fiction written by casual, hobbyist writers who are not formally trained authors, do not have an agent, and are not writing for Pocketbooks or another publishing house. In other words, "amateur" writers who are motivated by their love of the series.


So, that being said, here's my own personal opinions, no insult intended toward anyone:


1. You get exactly what you expect: "amateur." The writing is often mediocre in terms of its flow, descriptiveness, etc. Often the dialogue fails to match the proper "voice" of the character.


2. There are some interesting ideas, but more often than not you get something that is dreivitive at BEST (ie: a sequel or tie-in to something that's already been done) and fanwank at worst (ie: foolish crossover stories, etc)


3. A lot of fan fiction is simply an outlet for what I like to call the "specialized fan." What I mean by that is simply that you have fans who are more fanatical about, devoted to, or interested in one singular aspect of the franchise than they are about the general franchise as a whole. You have people that are Data fans, Julian Bashir fans, fans of the Riker and Troi relationship, fans of the K/S thing...or whatever. So, a lot of fan fiction tends to focus on these kind of obsessive buckets rather than just telling a good, general Star Trek story. And, since I'm not at all like that (nor do I have any interest in most of the typical "specialized fan" buckets), I tend to shy away.


 


So, I've nver really been remotely entertained by any fanfiction. I don't need to read a short story about Data, Lore and B4 meeting Brent Spiner in a weird timewarp started by Dr. Soong. I'd rather read something more professionally crafted and structured.


Writers write, fans read and watch. I'm a huge baseball fan, but I don't pretend like I'd be any good at putting a lineup together against my opponent's lefty and developing a bunt-coverage gameplan with men on 1st and 3rd with 1 out. I watch the game. That's my roll.


 


Just my own personal opinion.


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 05 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 05 2011, 9:45 am

>

>So, that being said, here's my own personal opinions, no insult intended toward anyone:

>1. You get exactly what you expect: "amateur." The writing is often mediocre in terms of its flow, descriptiveness, etc. Often the dialogue fails to match the proper "voice" of the character.

>2. There are some interesting ideas, but more often than not you get something that is dreivitive at BEST (ie: a sequel or tie-in to something that's already been done) and fanwank at worst (ie: foolish crossover stories, etc)

>3. A lot of fan fiction is simply an outlet for what I like to call the "specialized fan." What I mean by that is simply that you have fans who are more fanatical about, devoted to, or interested in one singular aspect of the franchise than they are about the general franchise as a whole. You have people that are Data fans, Julian Bashir fans, fans of the Riker and Troi relationship, fans of the K/S thing...or whatever. So, a lot of fan fiction tends to focus on these kind of obsessive buckets rather than just telling a good, general Star Trek story. And, since I'm not at all like that (nor do I have any interest in most of the typical "specialized fan" buckets), I tend to shy away.

>


1. Definition of "amateur": Not for money. That's really the only solid definition that exists. As a result the quality is bound to be extensively varied. For my part, I really like the Pocketbooks -- although in all honesty I find them becoming increasingly unvaried and not what I am interested in at all. So where else to turn for a greater variety of interesting material but fanfiction?? To be honest I've read some that are not so great, and others that are better written and more interesting than much of the pocketbooks line. And what the hell. It's free. You haven't lost anything by reading!


2. Derivative: How many plots are there in the world again? 70? I think -- at most. Of which everything -- I repeat, everything -- ever written is a variation. Fanwank crossover: There are some awkward crossovers out there, and others that are quite interesting. If that is not your thing, then sweet. Not my thing either. And at the end of the day writing has to be enjoyable. The line between what is fanwank and what is not is not and has never been (and will never be) objectively defined.


3. As for "Specialised fan", yeah. I go back to the recent point that writing has to be enjoyable. Diff'rent strokes, you know. There are some aspects and characters that interest me (as far as writing and reading go) Others that do not. Same thing with readers -- some people are not going to be interested in the kind of thing I like to write. I respect that. It's not going to make me put any less effort into the quality of my writing.


Regarding the argument that fanfic writers lack formal training: I can only refute that from my own point of view because I have been training since I was nine years old, attended more workshops than I can count, studied Creative Writing at the tertiary level, and been highly placed in short story competitions. (I'm talking first and second place here.) No published novels yet but I've come pretty close and it's really only a matter of time and determination. I have been a writer for over two thirds of my life.


Some people think that fanfic writers only write fanfic because they can't think of anything else. Well that's easy to dispute!! I've been writing "original" fiction (so called) for many years longer than fanfic -- which I only discovered existed at some point in 2007 or 2008. I happen to write fanfic for one simple reason -- it's fun. And I've had a really great time exploring many different writing techniques and ideas as well. When it stops being fun, I shall stop writing it. Simple. But I do have a multitude of other projects too.


For those who are not such serious writers, that's cool too. I am all for encouraging people to follow their passions. I'm also a firm subscriber to the philosophy of "Don't Like Don't Read" -- Vger you don't like certain fandoms and fanfics. So you don't read them. I respect that. If I don't like something I don't read it either. Although that does not mean that I disrespect the writer who took the time to create it. And if I like, I will read and take a little time to comment and offer friendly suggestions as well. Because I think too often people are discouraged from developing their craft. I won't give dishonest praise, but I'm all for encouragement.


I also like occasionally to branch into reading other fandoms and writing interests and even slash (of which I read very little.) It's interesting if you go into it with an open mind.


So.


That having been said. Yeah Milo how are you doing? I don't know if I mentioned but I write fanfiction too. I'm also on Deviantart but tend not to post fics on there. And on FF.net, and fictionpress (for the "original" fiction.) My fandoms are: DS9 primarily, Mythology, and TNG. So far, that is. I'm still thinking once I finish with a couple of WIP fics, I'll take a little break from posting and then keep writing but not stick too many new long stories up for a wee while.


And another bit of honesty: If someone says to me "fanfic is bad", I do not see that as a valid argument because there is no way you could have read it all. Specially if you don't like it. If you say, "I don't like fanfic", then fine that's your opinion. If you say, "I read such and such a story and it was not very good..." That, to me, is a lot more valid. Although if such and such happens to be a story of mine then I prefer constructive criticism. I know I have written stuff that falls into the "not very good" category but nobody has given me a valid (ie non-generic) reason why fanfiction writers should not be proud of their creations.


We've had threads like this before, but not for some time.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this May. 06 2011, 5:03 am

Quote: OtakuJo @ May. 05 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ May. 05 2011, 9:45 am

>

>

>So, that being said, here's my own personal opinions, no insult intended toward anyone:

>1. You get exactly what you expect: "amateur." The writing is often mediocre in terms of its flow, descriptiveness, etc. Often the dialogue fails to match the proper "voice" of the character.

>2. There are some interesting ideas, but more often than not you get something that is dreivitive at BEST (ie: a sequel or tie-in to something that's already been done) and fanwank at worst (ie: foolish crossover stories, etc)

>3. A lot of fan fiction is simply an outlet for what I like to call the "specialized fan." What I mean by that is simply that you have fans who are more fanatical about, devoted to, or interested in one singular aspect of the franchise than they are about the general franchise as a whole. You have people that are Data fans, Julian Bashir fans, fans of the Riker and Troi relationship, fans of the K/S thing...or whatever. So, a lot of fan fiction tends to focus on these kind of obsessive buckets rather than just telling a good, general Star Trek story. And, since I'm not at all like that (nor do I have any interest in most of the typical "specialized fan" buckets), I tend to shy away.

>

1. Definition of "amateur": Not for money. That's really the only solid definition that exists. As a result the quality is bound to be extensively varied. For my part, I really like the Pocketbooks -- although in all honesty I find them becoming increasingly unvaried and not what I am interested in at all. So where else to turn for a greater variety of interesting material but fanfiction?? To be honest I've read some that are not so great, and others that are better written and more interesting than much of the pocketbooks line. And what the hell. It's free. You haven't lost anything by reading!

2. Derivative: How many plots are there in the world again? 70? I think -- at most. Of which everything -- I repeat, everything -- ever written is a variation. Fanwank crossover: There are some awkward crossovers out there, and others that are quite interesting. If that is not your thing, then sweet. Not my thing either. And at the end of the day writing has to be enjoyable. The line between what is fanwank and what is not is not and has never been (and will never be) objectively defined.

3. As for "Specialised fan", yeah. I go back to the recent point that writing has to be enjoyable. Diff'rent strokes, you know. There are some aspects and characters that interest me (as far as writing and reading go) Others that do not. Same thing with readers -- some people are not going to be interested in the kind of thing I like to write. I respect that. It's not going to make me put any less effort into the quality of my writing.

Regarding the argument that fanfic writers lack formal training: I can only refute that from my own point of view because I have been training since I was nine years old, attended more workshops than I can count, studied Creative Writing at the tertiary level, and been highly placed in short story competitions. (I'm talking first and second place here.) No published novels yet but I've come pretty close and it's really only a matter of time and determination. I have been a writer for over two thirds of my life.

Some people think that fanfic writers only write fanfic because they can't think of anything else. Well that's easy to dispute!! I've been writing "original" fiction (so called) for many years longer than fanfic -- which I only discovered existed at some point in 2007 or 2008. I happen to write fanfic for one simple reason -- it's fun. And I've had a really great time exploring many different writing techniques and ideas as well. When it stops being fun, I shall stop writing it. Simple. But I do have a multitude of other projects too.

For those who are not such serious writers, that's cool too. I am all for encouraging people to follow their passions. I'm also a firm subscriber to the philosophy of "Don't Like Don't Read" -- Vger you don't like certain fandoms and fanfics. So you don't read them. I respect that. If I don't like something I don't read it either. Although that does not mean that I disrespect the writer who took the time to create it. And if I like, I will read and take a little time to comment and offer friendly suggestions as well. Because I think too often people are discouraged from developing their craft. I won't give dishonest praise, but I'm all for encouragement.

I also like occasionally to branch into reading other fandoms and writing interests and even slash (of which I read very little.) It's interesting if you go into it with an open mind.

So.

That having been said. Yeah Milo how are you doing? I don't know if I mentioned but I write fanfiction too. I'm also on Deviantart but tend not to post fics on there. And on FF.net, and fictionpress (for the "original" fiction.) My fandoms are: DS9 primarily, Mythology, and TNG. So far, that is. I'm still thinking once I finish with a couple of WIP fics, I'll take a little break from posting and then keep writing but not stick too many new long stories up for a wee while.

And another bit of honesty: If someone says to me "fanfic is bad", I do not see that as a valid argument because there is no way you could have read it all. Specially if you don't like it. If you say, "I don't like fanfic", then fine that's your opinion. If you say, "I read such and such a story and it was not very good..." That, to me, is a lot more valid. Although if such and such happens to be a story of mine then I prefer constructive criticism. I know I have written stuff that falls into the "not very good" category but nobody has given me a valid (ie non-generic) reason why fanfiction writers should not be proud of their creations.

We've had threads like this before, but not for some time.


 


1. I believe I said "I define amateur..." meaning that, for the purposes of my post, I can (and did) define it however I like. Thank you for YOUR opinion on what you think it means, though.


2. By "derivitive" I mean (and again, THOUGHT I had clearly defined) that almost every fanfic story I've seen or read relies on being some kind of sequel or significant tie-in with what has already happened in the live action canon world. You call it what you like, I'll call it "fanwank."


3. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here. I'm saying that I don't need to read 37 short stories by the same author about Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres. I'm good. I'd rather read stories that are Star Trek stories, not stories about the specialized obsessions of a fan.


 


I can't believe I openied up by saying twice that I'm not looking to insult anyone's tastes or sensibilities, and I till get defensiveness from people like you.  This is my opinion, and it is in direct answer to the question being asked.


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 06 2011, 5:28 am

"I can't believe I openied up by saying twice that I'm not looking to insult anyone's tastes or sensibilities, and I till get defensiveness from people like you."


 


^ Not defensiveness. Defence. Refutation, disagreement, and debate.


I was not at all put out with any of what you said, and if you notice I did go out of my way to say I respect that this is your opinion, even though I believe that you are incorrect in many of the underlying assumptions. That does not mean that I can't or won't respond, and I think my initial response was far from unreasonable. And also that I was respectful of your opinion and not at all condescending.


"3. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here."


#3. By Different Strokes, I mean that the things that one person likes are not necessarily going to be what another likes. You say you don't want to read about Tom and B'Ellana every time. OK. Neither do I. Even so, it doesn't mean that the writer of Tom & B'Ellana stories is unable to produce quality work. What I'm saying is that I respect that not everyone is going to be into the same things as everyone else, but that is a matter of personal taste, far more than differences in quality.


From earlier:


"Vger you don't like certain fandoms and fanfics. So you don't read them. I respect that. If I don't like something I don't read it either. Although that does not mean that I disrespect the writer who took the time to create it."


The very worst that I did was to disagree openly with your opinion and offer counter-arguments. That is all.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 06 2011, 6:36 am

Quote: Milo T'Kairum Vega @ May. 05 2011, 9:06 am

>

>What kind of writer are you? Which series do you prefer to write about? Are you the type of person that throws your own character into the story? Or can you not stand people who do that? Do you write your own biography about certain characters? Or do you have your own ST universe you write about? Are you a time-traveler? Do you get the chance to personally interact with the ST cast?

>


So anyway, since we're trying to have fun, and I am in this game to have fun:


What kind of writer are you?
Speculative, primarily. Sci-fi, fantasy, and so on. I have dabbled in fanfic (as I said) since around 2007 -- The first I did had rather an unusual origin, because the genesis was based on a dream I had, that I just... Well, the only way to get it out of my head was to write it. Now I have 15 stories on FF.net. They range from less than 1000, to over 100,000 words. But many with quite different styles, writing methods, levels of seriousness -- I guess you might say.


Which series do you prefer to write about?
Deep Space Nine.


Are you the type of person that throws your own character into the story? Or can you not stand people who do that?
uh... Do you mean self-insert?? No I don't do that. I think that original characters are so often essential to any story of course, but I don't do Mary Sue(s) -- I don't mind when people do; it's just not my thing.
Closest I came I think is, as a joke, I attached a thankyou note to the "end" of one story, and might have included some version of "myself" interacting with an OC. Just for a joke


Do you write your own biography about certain characters?
Do you mean like background information?? Yes I've written background bios on occasion because I think it deepens the character and is often essential to the story. I think the real key to creating good fics, particularly characters, is that they all need to have their own level of integrity and believable motivations for what they do. That is as true of canon and non-canon characters. I will not deny that I am possibly more successful at this sometimes than at others. But that's true of any writer, I think.


Or do you have your own ST universe you write about?
I have an idea for an in-universe story that's all OCs, but it has not come to fruition yet. Most of my stories (including Greek Mythology stories as well) have canon characters in the central roles.


I will say that one of the best feelings ever is when someone drops me a note to say "I like your story". Although even better is when I am writing a story and it is going really well. I think that fanfic is a different kind of challenge to "originals" -- in that capturing the voice of an existing character, and creating other characters that are just as believable for them to interact with, is different in quite a subtle way to the act of making all OCs from scratch.


Both are very enjoyable. And when it works, it's magic!


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 06 2011, 6:46 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>I enjoy reading fan-fiction.

>I wish I was talented enough to write it and applaud you who do who put it out there for everyone's entertainment with no renumeration.

>Yes a lot of fan-fiction is bad but a lot of it is very good. It maintains my interest in Trek.

>


For my part, thanks. You are interested primarily in K/S right? If I remember correctly -- which I probably don't. And I agree there is a vast difference in quality between good and not-good fanfiction, and also that the Pocketbooks, while there are occasional treasures to be found there, do put out very little in a year. Although I will say, from what I can tell, that many of those other writers are also fans.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

iBorg13

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1944

Report this May. 06 2011, 5:41 pm

I write fan-fiction... I haven't shared any of it with the public yet, some of them start out well and end really badly, but some of them are pretty good.
I may begin to share when I think one of them is worth sharing. My best fanfic was actually based on bsg (tos). It was about the Galactica picking up the character Starbuck and, a repaired, 'Cy' from the planet Starbuck soon after Dr. Zee told Adama his story in "Return of Starbuck".
The best Star Trek fanfic I ever wrote was about the VOY characters seen in "Living Witness".
Fanfic is fun to write, but I'm not a big reader of it.

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 07 2011, 3:49 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>I do appreciate the effort people put into the stories even if the characterisations are off. If a story has something I don't like or are not interested in I just don't read it.

>But what I hate what I absolutely hate are good stories abandoned. Aaaarrrrgggghhh.

>


100% agree with both of those points. Yeah -- as a reader I hate getting fully involved in a story only to find that the author has just left it half-way through! As a writer I know that there are readers counting on me to update (Can tell by the stats) and resolved a long time ago that hell or high water, I will finish what I started! And also I agree that fanfic costs nothing to read and like, read and not like, or not read. At the end of the day I as a reader have given up zero in the process and sometimes found a story that I like better than the limited range of published works.


Thank god for second hand bookshops though. And anything I can't find I go to ziwi.co.nz -- pretty good at finding even the most obscure titles. They are a New Zealand based store though, so I don't know how they are at deliveries to Australia.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Milo T'Kairum Vega

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 81

Report this May. 09 2011, 8:44 am

Quote:

Are you the type of person that throws your own character into the story? Or can you not stand people who do that?
uh... Do you mean self-insert??


No xD I mean "your own character" as in OC xD again, I worded it wrong. My worst downfall ^.^;; And thank you! I'm glad to find someone that enjoys fiction as much as I do. And you're enthusiastic, plus!


(I'd like to make a point that I do respect all of your opinion's toward fan-fiction. But since this was meant to be fun and a little introductory, I'm going to ignore some of it.) 


What kind of writer are you? Honestly I don't have a particular "style," that I work with. I've dabbled in all frames of speech to all points of view. I perfer first-person to third or second, but it shifts depending on the tone of the particular story. I guess when it comes to what I write it would be Sci-Fi, I like fantasy but I'm not very good at working it into a place where I want it to be, so I'm a little hesitant. I've been writing fan-fiction since 2004, none of it has involved Star Trek until the late half of last year. Now, eh, that's all I write about xD I'm attached.


Which series do you prefer to write about? TOS. It is my primary series, though TNG is a close second. I have yet to write anything involving TNG, though I have plenty of ammunition in my head.


Are you the type of person that throws your own character into the story? Absolutely, I love OC's. They are my friend, and honestly I think they add spice to a story. Most of my stories involve an OC very few romantically, while most of them portray a close revolving relationship/friendship, or enemy situation. I have two human OC, the rest are of a different species. Or hybrids. Got to love 'em.


Or can you not stand people who do that? I don't particularly care. Unless your character is probably the loveliest thing since Marilyn Monroe and has nothing but wealth and perfection to fall back on. I hate to toot a very used horn, so I won't. I just don't read stories like that.


 Do you write your own biography about certain characters? Yes, Three in particular: Sarek, Spock, and Kirk. Most of their biographies though are completely made up by me, I don't think any of them have even remotely followed the original plotline xD Except that Sarek always manages to find Amanda, Spock with Saavik (eventually,) and Kirk..well, he hasn't existed a few times and I have yet to find a true love interest for him. I've written in a minute number of other interests for Spock, and one other for Sarek, but They always end up with said: Amanda and Saavik. Except for one story with Sarek...Please note these are not meant to be offensive, but simply for the sake of my own imagination. Thanks.


Or do you have your own ST universe you write about? Absolutely. And all of them have planned paths/plots that they are slowly traveling. I've hit a few bumps, but I'm working over them. I'll tell you about them only if you ask, they would take up a lot of space.


Are you a time-traveler? Oh yes, I love the thought of time-travel. It just ruffles my feathers in all the right places! And it's just fun in general :3. But only two or four of my stories actually include it, and it's very specific. It has rules.


Do you get the chance to personally interact with the ST cast? I'm not sure if it's really interacting with ST cast. But I have one story where I'm involved with First Contact, based off of the TNG movie. Because I'll still be alive in 2063. So I play around with that a wee bit, and considering the fact that I'll be like...old. It's not a romantic themed story at all, but more based on friendship and care. No, it's not unrealisticly ridiculous, it's actually pretty interesting ._. And I don't meet Picard and all those cool people, but I do meet said Vulcans ;D


OtakuJo, you're awesome. Period. OH, and I'm very curious about your work, could I maybe get a name for FF.net so that I could take a peek? I would love to talk to you more about fan-fiction, you appear to be open-minded about a number of things.


iBorg, All fanfiction is beautiful, every word is a work of art. It simply depends on the quality of the words that makes it outstanding or not quite there. But nothing, no matter what you write, is useless or not worth expanding, or sharing with the world. Which is what I firmly believe. But I garauntee I'll have people disputing that theory ;D


ServalanFan, That's devastating o: I would break down and cry if my local borders went under. I'm so sorry to hear that...


Vger, you have an interesting view on things. But not uncommon. I respect your thoughts and decisions, so good luck to you!

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this May. 09 2011, 9:28 am

Oh yeah, we've touched on this subject before. LOL


 


I even posted a topic or two on the subject.


IMO, and I'm not going to defend it or argue about it, all of the fiction for ST, whether authorized or unauthorized, is fan fiction. It is all derivative fiction based on the initial works of others (i.e., series and movies). And even authorized boks aren't canon. 


Having said all of that, IMO most ST ff I have read is awful or mediocre. Including authorized books. I am slowly working my way through authorized and amateur works and there are some real gems.


I'm not hung up on a character matching his/her TV/movie counterpart, continuity, etc. I just want a good story. I understand that what I consider a good story may not be good to others. 


I've thought about writing my own ff and may do so. If I were to do so, I wouldn't focus on any existing character simply because I feel that it has already been done and done well. That's not to say that existing characters wouldn't show up or be referenced.


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

Milo T'Kairum Vega

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 81

Report this May. 10 2011, 7:57 am

Lol, some of my work can be considered mediocre and awful, no lie. Sometimes I'll start a story and completely fail when I thought it was going good.


That tends to happen when these story come to life at what, 3-4 in the morning?


I have a tendency to do novel like stories with corresponding chapters, and I'm a person who appreciates detail, so there is usually a lot of it. I've been working, struggling, and perfecting my writing skill since I don't remember when, before I started fan-fiction for sure. But I still stink at times. Currently I'm writing the first book to a trilogy that I'd like to see published one day, I've been working on it for three years and everyone who reads what I've done seems to like it.


But I haven't had time to work on it because I'm so enthralled with fan-fiction right now xD which is also a bad thing...


I like Diane Duane. I really do.


 

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 10 2011, 8:21 am

Quote: Milo T'Kairum Vega @ May. 09 2011, 8:44 am

>

>OtakuJo, you're awesome. Period. OH, and I'm very curious about your work, could I maybe get a name for FF.net so that I could take a peek? I would love to talk to you more about fan-fiction, you appear to be open-minded about a number of things.

>Vger, you have an interesting view on things. But not uncommon. I respect your thoughts and decisions, so good luck to you!

>


Thanks I really do need to get back to reading more too -- there never seems to be enough time these days. I put up a linky without a name attached, a way of "outing" myself but not to anyone who doesn't want to know. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1510178 and I hope that works.


If you want to put up a link too Milo that would be cool -- Can't guarantee that I will get to read your work right away but I will certainly try to look in. I tend to look at "not canon" not as something inauthentic but more as something that can be contradicted without bringing down the Wrath of Fan... if you know what I mean.


Anyone who wants to is welcome to disagree with me about anything, but whatever else, there is no personal affront if I happen to disagree with you. Treknoir I think that you are right about good stories being important. I don't think that characterisation has to be meticulous -- although the better stories I have read are the ones where the characters seem true to life. On the other hand I agree they should not live in straight-jackets. All of us have the capacity to act out of character, even in the real world.


Also I agree with you that what you like is not necessarily what someone else would like. (and vice versa) That's one of the beauties of literature; diversity in personal taste makes for a far broader range of possibilities. So cheers.


@Milo: Oh yeah, Oops. As far as OCs in fanfic go, there really isn't much you can tell without them. Even TV episodes have one time characters in many instances. Much of the time when I introduce someone it's to fill a role in the story. And I should probably give my standard disclaimer at this point (hehe) : "I am not in the business of being nice to fictional characters."


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this May. 10 2011, 8:32 am

Quote: Milo T'Kairum Vega @ May. 10 2011, 7:57 am

>

>Lol, some of my work can be considered mediocre and awful, no lie. Sometimes I'll start a story and completely fail when I thought it was going good.

>That tends to happen when these story come to life at what, 3-4 in the morning?

>I have a tendency to do novel like stories with corresponding chapters, and I'm a person who appreciates detail, so there is usually a lot of it. I've been working, struggling, and perfecting my writing skill since I don't remember when, before I started fan-fiction for sure. But I still stink at times. Currently I'm writing the first book to a trilogy that I'd like to see published one day, I've been working on it for three years and everyone who reads what I've done seems to like it.

>But I haven't had time to work on it because I'm so enthralled with fan-fiction right now xD which is also a bad thing...

>I like Diane Duane. I really do.


No writer delivers a perfect product each and every time. The main thing with ff is that it most likely will never be officially published. So, do whatever makes you, the writer, feel good. It's just a story, won't hurt anyone, and it's fun! Writing is therapeutic.


I think I will start by writing about characters in a ST "universe" but not part of established series or movies. I could just create my own sci-fi universe, but I like some of the species and concepts in ST. And like you, I have already created a backstory, bios, etc. Just need to bring it all together one day soon.


I'm not really looking for glory, publishing, or attention. I just want to put my ideas into a written format.


It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

OtakuJo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 16362

Report this May. 10 2011, 8:39 am

Hard, hard work -- but well worth it.


Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum