Did you like La Forge better with a visor or without?

Six of Nine

Report this May. 01 2011, 12:55 pm

I liked him with a visor better you?

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

janewayjunkie74656

Report this May. 01 2011, 1:08 pm

As opposed to him w/o VISOR in the series, or in the movies with his synthetic eyes?

I liked him better with the VISOR, but partly because we're all just used to seeing him with a VISOR.

But in real life, I love watching Reading Rainbow (LOL, I know) so I can see LeVar Burton's real eyes. Maybe its just that we've been seeing them covered up all these years, but LeVar's eyes seem really big and expressive. I do like LeVar Burton's eyes.

267198ed

Report this May. 01 2011, 6:25 pm

WITH!

The synthetic eyes were interesting but really far too distracting and strange.

Royalsfanen

Report this May. 01 2011, 9:39 pm

Without for sure.

I think the eyes were a great touch. The visor was just getting a bit out of date I suppose lol.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this May. 01 2011, 9:51 pm

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this May. 01 2011, 11:57 pm

Quote: iBorg13 @ May. 01 2011, 9:51 pm

>I liked him better w/ the VISOR. The synthetic eyes looked too normal, while the VISOR was quite distinctive, something a character like La Forge needed.

I agree with this.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

willowtree

Report this May. 02 2011, 12:24 pm

I liked him better with the Visor. After all that was the main thing about the character. The fact that every day he had to deal with the pain of the visor, and struggle with it is one of the main things about the character

24thcenstfan

Report this May. 02 2011, 7:29 pm

I liked him more with the visor for aesthetic reasons and because it made him different and interesting.

However, I also think him eventually being able to do away with the visor was a nice technological/medical advancement that I have come to expect Star Trek to bring us in story.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 03 2011, 4:38 am

I've been thinking on this and I have to conclude without. The VISOR seemed so fururistic and crazy in the 80s but a good argument has been made that we would expect better technology by that time. The synthetic eyes were much cooler technology and they allowed Burton to convey better emotion in his facial expressions.

konarciq

Report this May. 04 2011, 11:38 am

with the visor. without, to me it just isn´t geordi anymore!

jamesspock1

Report this May. 04 2011, 2:40 pm

The visor is what made him special it gave him that little extra thing that Trek Charactors have, The way his vision was also gave him som advantages & disadvantages.  Plus he has weird eyes, or was it I just wasn't use to them.

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 05 2011, 5:04 am

Come on, that close up of his mechanical eyes in FC WASN'T amazingly awesome? You weren't cheering in the theater!?!

Did they show him with mechanical eyes in NEM?

OtakuJo

Report this May. 05 2011, 6:42 am

I'd have to say I liked him better with the visor. Without it, I don't know he looked a little like not-Geordi. I guess it's something you could get used to but y'know -- it's like when you have a friend who has glasses, and you see them without their glasses. You feel happy for them getting contacts and all, but at the same time it's a little disconcerting when your friend looks unfamiliar.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 05 2011, 9:22 am

I definitely had an easier time with the ladies when I got contacts. Without the VISOR, he could score Leah Brahms.

Timeworn

Report this May. 06 2011, 8:36 am

He looks better with the visor, for sure. Without it, there's only those empty cloudy spheres.

It's strange because it feels like you can connect with him more deeply when he's covering his eyes.

Imagining he has "ordinary" eyes under the visor is, in a way, better than having the shock of being confronted with his cloudy eyeballs. You can't pretend anymore.

"Live long, prosper, and keep on hangin' and bangin'" - Leonard Nimoy