Imagine in a thousand years we discover we are the only intelligent life in the universe.

sweatervested1

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 6:46 am

I would be disappointed. It would be our job to populate the universe, IMO. Just think, in a million or so years we could become like the Q. We could start other intelligent life. What do you think?

Vger23

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 7:32 am

I'd be fine with it. At least we don't have to worry about getting obliterated by THESE guys:

tribblenator999

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:13 am

Treknoir

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:19 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Apr. 26 2011, 6:46 am

>I want to see Vulcans, so I would be disappointed. However, it would be our job to populate the universe, IMO. Just think, in a million or so years we could become like the Q. We could start other intelligent life. What do you think?

Help me out. Are you role playing again? Vulcans are my favorite subject, but we will NEVER see them in a thousand or millions years because they don't exist!

I know I would be really ticked off if I were a pointy-eared alien who made contact with humans and folks kept telling me to LLAP and throwing up weird hand gestures like it meant something.

I would hope in a thousand years humans would have their collective act together so if we are the only ones we could intelligently go forth and seed the universe without screwing it up.

wissa

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:25 am

I think it is entirely possible we are the only intelligent life.  And we are destroying our grandchildrens ability to live on this rock.

From what I understand there is a very narrow window of opportunity for life on a planet in the first place.  Much narrower than previously thought.  For life to get to the point it has on this planet must take a billion coincidences in it's favour.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:13 am

>there is no way in hell that we can be the only intelligent life forms in the universe.

I agree if you can wrap your head around "infinite space" then us being the only planet with intelligent life seems absurd. I quote Contact, "If its just us, its a lot of wasted space."

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

sweatervested1

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:41 am

Quote: Treknoir @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:19 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Apr. 26 2011, 6:46 am

Don't diss role playing "sister!" I need something to keep me sane until they come out with another series. No, this board is not role playing. Its a discussion about what do we do in the event it happens?

Treknoir

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 9:03 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:41 am

Quote: Treknoir @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:19 am

Quote: sweatervested1 @ Apr. 26 2011, 6:46 am

Don't diss role playing brother! I need something to keep me sane until they come out with another series. No, this board is not role playing. Its a discussion about what do we do in the event it happens?

I'm a GIRL! Not dissing RP, just wasn't sure where you were going.

Treknoir

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 9:10 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:13 am

This is the way I lean in regards to the subject. I respect scientists for trying to find answers, but they do not have all of the answers. A thousand years from now things we consider truth may be disproven or modified based on new facts and data.

What we think is necessary for life may in fact not be necessary at all.

I have a feeling that we aren't all that special in the universe and that there is no way in hell we would play a central role in an alien collective.

wissa

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 9:23 am

Quote: OneDamnMinuteAdmiral @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:13 am

only if you think intelligent life is the reason for the universe existing.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 2:10 pm

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Apr. 26 2011, 8:13 am

I agree

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

Caalma

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 2:24 pm

Total bummer! imagine the only life in the universe are humans, bacteria, reptiles, and insects? ...and a few others, i know. But a bumer none the less!

would that mean that HIV/AIDS is atop the ladder?

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

Jim Kirk

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 3:01 pm

Imagine if a billion years from now we find out that we are the elders of the universe.

RomulanValdore

Report this Apr. 29 2011, 9:39 pm

I wont be alive in a thousand years so what does it matter?

AK_GENIUS

Report this Apr. 29 2011, 11:40 pm

I believe that we are not alone here in the universe. I believe there is new lifeforms and new civilizations that we haven't discovered yet in space.

Users browsing this forum: wissa